Coral Vue Hydros

The cutest, sassiest little stand off

Genie382

Was relaxing at home and heard the little “click” of the pistol shrimp really going off about something. Curious, I went over to the tank to investigate and found the most elusive inhabitant of my tank, Buffy the Pom Pom crab posturing in front of the pistol shrimp burrow, with the pistol shrimp right at the entrance! The watchman goby who had paired up with the shrimp was elsewhere in the tank (thankfully as he is actually the meanest fish in the tank). I suspect the Pom Pom crab was wandering about and came across the burrow and hence a bit of a standoff. The Pom Pom is pretty sassy, so I’m not surprised she didn’t just back off.

Either way, after a few moments, I shoo’ed the crab away to avoid any issues. Just thought it was a fun little interaction and wanted to share! I have had many folks tell me that you’ll never see the pistol shrimp in your tank or the Pom Pom crab and that they’re not worth it to add to the reef, and I have to say, they are some of my favorite additions to the tank. I see them fairly frequently and when I do, it’s always a treat. 😁

Apologies for the bad cell phone images, in the close up you can just make out the pistol shrimp antennae sticking up out of the burrow. 

144FDA15-CD1C-4CA1-B8C2-AF8C4A474868.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the same animals.  A YWG (also a fairly mean bastid lol), a tiger pistol and a pom pom crab.

The Goby and pistol I see non stop.  They have literally taken over the entire bottom of my 24G aquapod tank.  My pom pom crab though only hides in the back area.  I have to actively LOOK for him.  I do have a small possum wrasse and 2 porcelain anemone crabs also, one large and one baby, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

I have the same animals.  A YWG (also a fairly mean bastid lol), a tiger pistol and a pom pom crab.

The Goby and pistol I see non stop.  They have literally taken over the entire bottom of my 24G aquapod tank.  My pom pom crab though only hides in the back area.  I have to actively LOOK for him.  I do have a small possum wrasse and 2 porcelain anemone crabs also, one large and one baby, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Yah I agree, they pretty much rearrange my sand bed and corals to their liking on a daily basis. I think that YWG tend to get mean when they mature. Mine ate a smaller pistol and sexy shrimp in the past 😡.

My Pom Pom crab is pretty active and I spot him regularly, though it may be because I have a smaller tank. How do you like the possum wrasse? I’ve been wanting one.

Here’s my Pom Pom crab grabbing my finger and inspecting me for food. I was glueing down some frags. 

9BCDE09F-0081-45D8-B1F7-300B71137C0A.jpeg

• Wow 1

Yeah. I kinda wish I had gotten a smaller pistol/goby species.  I've had a hi-fin and candy cane in the past but I couldn't find them in the LFS's this time around.   My YWG did kill a candy cane pistol he was bagged with when I first bought him as a baby, but they were not paired and the LFS person was dumb and bagged them together...  ugh.

I'm hoping over time my pom pom becomes more outgoing,but you never know with such small inverts.  My porcelain crabs however sit right out in front and give no f00ks when my hand in the tank or anything.  

I love my possum wrasse.  He is quite the character, outgoing, follows me around the tank, etc.  Defintely not as shy as some people have reported, but I also only have him and the YWG as fish in the tank and its a 24G aquapod.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Genie382 said:

Yah I agree, they pretty much rearrange my sand bed and corals to their liking on a daily basis. I think that YWG tend to get mean when they mature. Mine ate a smaller pistol and sexy shrimp in the past 😡.

My Pom Pom crab is pretty active and I spot him regularly, though it may be because I have a smaller tank. How do you like the possum wrasse? I’ve been wanting one.

Here’s my Pom Pom crab grabbing my finger and inspecting me for food. I was glueing down some frags. 

9BCDE09F-0081-45D8-B1F7-300B71137C0A.jpeg

Gross. Wash your hands before you eat anything. 

2F1AC9C1-7B0D-4126-9B6C-AC548CBDDFF7.gif

• Haha 3