Top Shelf Aquatics

20 gallon long FOWLR journal

Luke78

Hello everybody this is my first saltwater tank. It is a fowlr for now, but I will add corals to it later on. I will be doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia.

• Like 1

Day 1. I went to my lfs and bought supplies, set up the tank and ordered some dryrock.

List of Equipment: Aqueon 100 watt heater, Aqueon  QuietFlow Led Pro Filter, Salinity Refractometer, Thermometer, API test kits, Instant Ocean Salt, and a medium piece of live rock and of course the tank

On The Way: A Lid, Lights, Dry Rock, and a Power Head

• Like 1

Day 3 

Ammonia: 7(by accidental overdose), Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

I have noticed that some a few small pieces of detritus coming off of the rock.

I am thinking of getting some dr Tim’s one and only or some bio spira, but will the 7-8 ppm of ammonia in the water kill the bacteria or is it possible for high ammonia to kill the benificial bacteria 

5 hours ago, Luke78 said:

I am thinking of getting some dr Tim’s one and only or some bio spira, but will the 7-8 ppm of ammonia in the water kill the bacteria or is it possible for high ammonia to kill the benificial bacteria 

Yes you can add the Biospira - it contains the beneficial bacteria that converts the ammonia to nitrite and then the nitrite to nitrate. Pour it in there!

I’m sorry if I was not clear on my point. I do not want to add more ammonia, I was worried that the biospira would be killed by 7-8ppm of NH3. Yes I kept the rock in 2 layers of damp paper towels and in a bag with a cup of water in it

1 hour ago, Luke78 said:

I’m sorry if I was not clear on my point. I do not want to add more ammonia, I was worried that the biospira would be killed by 7-8ppm of NH3. Yes I kept the rock in 2 layers of damp paper towels and in a bag with a cup of water in it

It won't kill the biospira.  It could potentially kill any cool hitchhikers (or bad ones) on your live rock.  

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo

Looking good! I wouldn’t add anything, let the tank proceed naturally. You’ll be amazing at how fast it sorts itself out. 

Good luck! You’ll be cycled before you know it. I always pass the time by keeping the rock clean with my turkey baster. 🤣

• Haha 1

Well. I guess I have good news. Amonnia looks more like a 5 or a 6 rather than 7-8. It looks like I have just the smallest trace of nitrite. Should I expect to have a spike soon. Other than that nothing has changed other than me cleaning the rock. The dry rock is taking forever to get here. I hope to go get some plexiglass from the hardware store this week so I can make a lid.

Sorry that i havent been able to do an update I have been very busy. I have ran out of nitrite test so I need to get more. Day 6: 4ppm, Nitrite ?, Nitrate 0, Day 7: Ammonia about 2, Nitrite ?, Nitrate 0. Is it possible for it to be going down this fast

I am sorry for not being able to update. Days 9-18. Ammonia has been converted down to zero in 24 hours, but I am still picking up a nitrite spike. I got my dry rock an will try to upload a picture soon. Does anyone have experience with the coralife led.

2 minutes ago, Luke78 said:

I am sorry for not being able to update. Days 9-18. Ammonia has been converted down to zero in 24 hours, but I am still picking up a nitrite spike. I got my dry rock an will try to upload a picture soon. Does anyone have experience with the coralife led.

Sounds like you're getting there 

• 2 weeks later...