Innovative Marine Aquariums

NanoBox Mint Guide

DaveFason

Hey guys,

For the past three months I have separated mint to its own channel. With testing, documentation and customer feedback I finally felt it was time. The following is a simple guide on updating your app, figuring out what mint is and how to properly control it. 

If you have any questions please ask! 

Mint Guide 1Mint Guide 2Mint Guide 3Mint Guide 4

Enjoy!

-Dave

• Like 8
35 minutes ago, HernandezJ35 said:

Hi Dave I just picked up a light from a fellow reefer and was wondering how I might be able to check the build date.

Send me an email and a photo of the units underside ( array side ). I will let you know!

mitten_reef

I ran mint at 90% of the blue/violet channels and white at 10% of blue/violet on the regular quad a while back.  Got great growth and colorations. 😍

Now I have to re-acclimate my tank to a new custom nanobox fixture - so TBD on settings ratio.  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

I ran mint at 90% of the blue/violet channels and white at 10% of blue/violet on the regular quad a while back.  Got great growth and colorations. 😍

Now I have to re-acclimate my tank to a new custom nanobox fixture - so TBD on settings ratio.  

Thanks for sharing Rut! There will always be a color preference with each person. However I think mint helps with people accidentally blasting tanks with to much white. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Griever said:

I ended up running my moonlight channel at the same % as my blues because I liked the look, I wonder if this explains why! Any idea if my light had this change @DaveFason?

That is the reason. 🙂

Here's where I have been running mine.  I will admit I go for  a look that please's my eye more than I worry about what pleases the corals. My mint and white are higher than you suggest, but I guess that makes sense when I have I higher ratio of B/RB/V leds than the standard fixtures.  

File_001 (1).png

• Like 2
2 hours ago, specore said:

Here's where I have been running mine.  I will admit I go for  a look that please's my eye more than I worry about what pleases the corals. My mint and white are higher than you suggest, but I guess that makes sense when I have I higher ratio of B/RB/V leds than the standard fixtures.  

File_001 (1).png

Thanks for sharing! Yours is a custom unit so you will have %'s higher than others. Regardless there is no "right" or "wrong"!

I really enjoy you guys sharing! It will only help others guide them in the right direction. 

On 8/5/2018 at 1:12 AM, MrsK said:

I added the mint channel to my mid-day and evening settings today. It is amazing! I love how much brighter it looks without washing out the blue channels.

Crappy cell phone pics attached.

Thanks for trying and sharing. I am so glad you like it already. Now sit back and enjoy the colors. 🙂

mitten_reef
9 minutes ago, pgrVII said:

No white channel just mintsScreenshot_20180806-094819_Instagram.thumb.jpg.cf3626332cdff0f5a126b1422592f8ca.jpg.😎

Nice BTA!!  I have two that look just like it!  

If you got no white's on, 3 of your LEDs will be dark, unless these are super duper extra special arrays I'm not aware of.

11 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

If you got no white's on, 3 of your LEDs will be dark, unless these are super duper extra special arrays I'm not aware of.

Exciting fact. With the LEDs close to each other it can actually "excite" the phosphors making they look like they are on. In the photo the white looks "on" but are actually off. 

Like mine! 

RedSeaAug-5

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef
4 minutes ago, DaveFason said:

Exciting fact. With the LEDs close to each other it can actually "excite" the phosphors making they look like they are on. In the photo the white looks "on" but are actually off. 

Like mine! 

RedSeaAug-5

My bad folks, the wizard himself had spoken.  😄 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

Yep and if you look close you can see them dimmer! Unless 0 means something else now on the controller.

• Like 1

I'm running my quad at;

80% Blues

80% Mints

40% Whites

I find less than that on the whites is too blue/unnatural looking. Am I crazy? 🤪

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Griever said:

I'm running my quad at;

80% Blues

80% Mints

40% Whites

I find less than that on the whites is too blue/unnatural looking. Am I crazy? 🤪

Everyone is different! We have a preconception that every tank should be the same. If a more white look is wanted that is fine! You can run the mint channel at 100% as well. 

-Dave

3 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Everyone is different! We have a preconception that every tank should be the same. If a more white look is wanted that is fine! You can run the mint channel at 100% as well. 

-Dave

I moved my whites down to 20%, just to see if I can get used to the look. Maybe I am crazy. 🙃

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Griever said:

I moved my whites down to 20%, just to see if I can get used to the look. Maybe I am crazy. 🙃

I like it more white as well.   Looks more natural to my eye, and the fish look washed out under too much blue.  

3 hours ago, specore said:

I like it more white as well.   Looks more natural to my eye, and the fish look washed out under too much blue.  

After a few days I've gotten used to the bluer look, so it no longer looks "weird" to me. I haven't decided if I like it better or not yet. Like you say, the fish look weirdly washed out, and the tank looks "darker" to the eye if that makes sense. However the corals pop a lot more, especially my gold torch. At the end of the day it'll probably come down to which settings my corals seem to like better. 

Hey Dave. I just ordered my light a week or so ago so obviously i don’t have it yet but how does this affect the presets? Are there mint specific presets or will I need to pick one of the non-mint presets and adjust from there?

thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Porkpie5000 said:

Hey Dave. I just ordered my light a week or so ago so obviously i don’t have it yet but how does this affect the presets? Are there mint specific presets or will I need to pick one of the non-mint presets and adjust from there?

thanks!

These will be switched shortly. If you follow the guide above it will show how to. OR I can log in remotely. 

-Dave