inTank Media Baskets

Is my tank cycled after 3 weeks ?

C2 da fish

I am currently fishless cycling my 45jbj using fritz zyme 9 and dr tims ammonia . My ammonia goes down to 0 ppm after dosing 1ppm 24 hours prior is my cycle complete ? Many forums have said nitrite doesn’t matter is this true ? I have dosed ammonia 4 times within this 3 week period once Ammonia and nitrite went down to 0 

Will It be okay to add 1 clown fish ? Also I was thinking doing a water change and then adding dr tims one and only then wait a day then add clown fish to be safe does that sound like a good plan ? 

It could be OK-- sure; however, best learn how to do quarantine or at the very least fish baths first like with methylene blue. Why not try a small clean up crew first tho?  A couple hermits, a couple snails if you have some algae.  Patience is an extremely valuable commodity you grow alongside your reef.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What Aurortapa said. +1 on the CUC first, QT the clown (u'll be glad u did in the long run) for at least 4 weeks. U don't necessarily have to medicate it, although methylene blue works very well. I've used it for years with no adverse effects, other than blue stained fingers, and it knocks out most nasties other than internal parasites. My rule is: assume the fish has some parasites no matter how much I trust my LFS. TheQT will go a long way to avoiding issues in the DT down the road, plus it will give the fish time to settle in, show any disease issues and get it on a feeding regimen.

I currently don’t have a quarantine tank also I’m not sure how to use the dips and I don’t see any algae in my tank I have been cycling the tank with the lights off and about the clean up crew snails and hermits will the starve in my tank since it is newly set up with I have to feed them fish food ? And how much of a water change should I do I was reading a forum saying do 100% water change because of the nitrates and later along will save me from algae isssues later 

Nothing will ensure no algae issues down the road, but good, consistent housekeeping will help. Turn your lights on for 7-8 hours a day to get some algae in there for the CUC. Most snails won't survive on fish food, nassarius sp. being one of the few exceptions, but you need a decent food base for any of ur CUC regardless of what they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok thanks so I think I’m going to add a clown fish and try that fish dip out or see what my lfs has to offer . Or I might wait a week or 2 to be safe and add a pair of clown fish I just don’t want to be adding a clean up crew an they die and have hermit shells everywhere 

Sometimes we feel algae is a nuisance but in truth, it’s there for a reason and it’s typically a sign your tank is progressing on the right path or can be an signal to you that something may need attention. 

Start with a reef friendlier hermit crab—scarlet, red legged, or blue leggeds...etc. Inverts typically don’t carry pests and hermit crabs are much hardier than fish going in a new reef. My first inhabitant was a scarlet hermit crab...I called him Bob Ross 🎨 ☺️

• Thanks 1

Mmm try a couple?  Just to test out the waters so to speak.  If they are active after a couple days and stay healthy for a week, I’d say you are doing good.

• Thanks 1

Ok i will start with like 5 to 10 and should  I add snails ? And what do I feed them I currently don’t have any algae so my plan is to do a water change then add hermit crabs should I start using my protein skimmer ? And do I acclimate the  hermit crabs and snails ? And what if they die was it because they starved or water quality? 

Introduce your light. Let algae build and THEN buy a couple of cleaners. Let them munch on the tank for a week or two, ensure your parameters are stable and then add your fish.

This is what I would personally do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, C2 da fish said:

should I start using my protein skimmer ? And do I acclimate the  hermit crabs and snails ? And what if they die was it because they starved or water quality? 

Anything living and new being added to you tank must be acclimated . You can try feeding some algae wafer and some frozen foods as treats, prepared crab food , blanched some peas , they even eat lettuce and carrots.  As for the skimmer , it is up too you , some people don't run it while the tank is cycling because nutrients gets taken out which could help cycle the tank or they let it run , up too you !  As too what if they died , you have not had anything in the tank yet so you get there when you get there when you see how inhabitant are doing . 

You are on the rite path , trust me when I say hang in there a little longer and don't rush the cycle , leave it for 4 weeks minimum,  that extra week makes a huge difference and also put the lights on . 

• Thanks 1

Ok I have the lights on when should I add the hermit crabs ? And should I do the water change before adding them ? 

Do a 20% water change and I'm sure you can get 2 or 3 crabs , just get the skimmer going once they are inside and check your parameters daily and if you see anything not moving around as usual or that perametre are not rite , do a water change  , but with 3 crabs, you should not have to worry really , they pretty hardy so you should be good . As for fish , I always wait minimum of  3 months but that's me and not many people has the patience to wait that long . 

• Thanks 1

Nothing good happens fast in reefing. Slow down a bit. We all want fish in our tanks NOW. But you have to have stable parameters for ur critters to survive. That means a food source, consistent temps, and above all, water quality. Too many tanks go belly up from rushing the process. My best advice is: research, research, and more research. There are lots of good info on this forum, as well as others, and the web. Pick our brains. The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. We want you to succeed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok thank you , I’ll start with that an see how everything goes and I’ll add 1 fish if everything seems good and checks out good In 2 weeks 

I read through the post you posted that was a good read and my tank is reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 40ppm

nitrates should I dose ammonia 1 ppm

again or 2 ppm when I dose 1ppm ammonia zeros out In 24 hours 

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo

I may do the same thing, let me know your results. Have a tank cycling but got a diatom bloom sooner than expected. Always better to be safe and wait, although painful. 

• Like 2