Innovative Marine Aquariums

Macro ID help

Aurortpa

So I was going out to dinner, by a fish store, so naturally I went to the fish store of course...and made an impulse buy 😓. I know...I know...

They are macros but not really ones I am familiar with.  The guy was very honest at least and said he wasn’t entirely sure.  

The left one I thought maybe Gracilaria but it is only red on tips and greenish on body?  It is extremely tough but flexible.  The one on the right maybe Blue Ochtodes?

Any ID help appreciated!

A5CD7FBD-BF52-49D4-BCD5-95F2F5402AE6.thumb.jpeg.aeaec197a5a22f921a76b960d74b698e.jpeg

The one on the right looks like blue ochtodes. I think ya also called blue hypnea, but could be different species with similar coloring and growth patterns. 

As for the one on the right, it does look like some gracilaria. I have two types of gracilaria that are rather tough, but flexible like you described. In certain lighting, the macros will change color, but I haven’t seen one change from green to red. For red macros it’s usually whiteish pinks to deep reds or fluorescent oranges even. 

Im going to guess that the gracilaria is going to need some med to high flow and some new to high light if you want to keep that red color up! 🙂 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Subsea said:

The red macro looks like Gracilaria Hayi that was grown under intense lights

Thank you for the feedback!  Well that was my initial guess too—BUT I typically rip a piece of macro and stick them in my microfuge but this one was sooo tough, I couldn’t—had to actually cut it with heavy duty scissors! Typically isn’t Gracilaria fragile?  

Mmm idk, this stuff is stronger than my dragon’s breath...if it was not healthy I’d imagine it’d be super fragile?

Looks more rose colored and purplish today!  I might have a macro winner here!  

8A6DE845-1FB8-4957-A9F2-B4EF7D203BA7.thumb.jpeg.354e3591d58b8dbaf8be594f6c33424f.jpeg