inTank Media Baskets

Does anyone ever find this hobby elitest?

Frag Factory

A looong time ago, people didn't think you could keep a saltwater tank which was less than 50 gallons.  It' amazing when you still hear people convey that same sentiment.  I guess I consider it more ignorance than arrogance (even if they might feel superior).  For me, sure cost is always factor; we all have other priorities.

• Like 3
Christopher Marks
58 minutes ago, seabass said:

A looong time ago, people didn't think you could keep a saltwater tank which was less than 50 gallons.

That's the very reason this website exists, I wouldn't accept that sentiment, I was too stubborn 😄 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Rcpilot said:

RC airplanes are pretty expensive when you get up to the 50cc or larger airframes. ($2,500 to build a ready-to-fly airplane)  Now there's a hobby that's full of elitists... WOWZERS!!!

Shoot, you got that right. Our local hobby shop is way more elitist than the local LFS. But RC planes sure are cool...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I had a nano back in the 90's, didn't know at the time though, but I was told it was not possible...lol... But the tanks did well.

I am usually going against the trends and doing things my own way, been doing it long enough to know what works for me, and frankly other then setting up the tank first time around, I don't find this an expensive hobby to maintain, I spend under $50 month on average to keep the tank running, most of the cost being in the salt.

• Like 1

I had an invert nano back in the late 80's.  I was a teenager who was in love with marine biology.  I had a little 10g tank with a single banded shrimp and 1 rotten little blue damsel.  I used old T5 (not the high output kind) lighting and changed 1--1.5g of water every week.  Didn't even have an RO unit.  Tap water and a freshwater dechlorinator!!  I ran that tank for 3 or 4 yrs, until I left for college.  The shrimp was still alive and thriving when he was donated to a friend with a 50g tank full of inverts.