inTank Media Baskets

Does anyone ever find this hobby elitest?

Frag Factory

Starting out in the hobby it was definitely intimidating going in to some LFS. Since then I have been doing so much research, on here and across the Internet, and now find myself playing dumb whilst they talk down to my partner and I. When pointing out fairly simple errors, like a mimic tang labelled as a lemon peel angel, I have been laughed out of the shop. 

Elitist financially, maybe. Elitist for "knowledge", definitely. 

I would definitely say this hobby is snobby.  My local reef club (Atlanta) is the same 15 or so people circle jerking over each other.  They spent thousands of dollars trying to fix their forums a year ago and it's still a pos.  Call them out on it and the minions descend on you.  

Honestly there is only one LFS worth going to around here and the owner makes every effort to beat any price and get whatever livestock or drygood to you.  As far as advice goes,  you're better off reading here or reef2reef.  In my experience you either get an old guy stuck in the 70's who diy's everything or a kid without any idea of what they are talking about who's peddling map priced equipment.

Now I have been guilty of being an elitest with equipement and livestock in the past.  I changed my ways when I saw a few reefs running extremely simple equipment that looked amazing.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tmr8188 said:

I would definitely say this hobby is snobby.  My local reef club (Atlanta) is the same 15 or so people circle jerking over each other.  They spent thousands of dollars trying to fix their forums a year ago and it's still a pos.  Call them out on it and the minions descend on you.  

Honestly there is only one LFS worth going to around here and the owner makes every effort to beat any price and get whatever livestock or drygood to you.  As far as advice goes,  you're better off reading here or reef2reef.  In my experience you either get an old guy stuck in the 70's who diy's everything or a kid without any idea of what they are talking about who's peddling map priced equipment.

Now I have been guilty of being an elitest with equipement and livestock in the past.  I changed my ways when I saw a few reefs running extremely simple equipment that looked amazing.

I live about an hour from Atlanta. Where is this fish store your talking about? 

45 minutes ago, 12scanlon said:

I live about an hour from Atlanta. Where is this fish store your talking about? 

Reef Shac in Marietta.  He's the closest store to me and the only one I bother going to these days.  He'll order whatever as long as you pay for it before hand.  Prices are much better than any other store I have been in too.  He's also in the middle of an extensive remodel that is looking awesome!

I have never experienced this snobbery from a store in such a manner but the hobby has died out here so they aren't likely to tick off a customer.

It's bad customer service to treat someone that way for no reason.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Tmr8188 said:

Reef Shac in Marietta.  He's the closest store to me and the only one I bother going to these days.  He'll order whatever as long as you pay for it before hand.  Prices are much better than any other store I have been in too.  He's also in the middle of an extensive remodel that is looking awesome!

Cool, I may make my way up there at some point. 

When I worked retail, I'd always say "This job would be great if it weren't for the customers." :wink:  I bet they have some choice stories to tell about customers too.  Sometimes you talk to someone at a bad time.  Who knows what they just got done dealing with.  I know that's not an excuse, but we're all human.

• Like 5
A Little Blue
11 minutes ago, seabass said:

When I worked retail, I'd always say "This job would be great if it weren't for the customers." :wink:  I bet they have some choice stories to tell about customers too.  Sometimes you talk to someone at a bad time.  Who knows what they just got done dealing with.  I know that's not an excuse, but we're all human.

Dealing with dumb people is my handicap. Therefore, any job requiring fake smile and kissing @ss, never made it to my top 10 career choices.

16 minutes ago, StevieT said:

YES

DEC 2017

My jet fuel ain't cheap

With my people skills, private jet would be out of question. However, rickshaw would be within my reach. 

• Haha 4
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Sounds like that guy is a dick, not an elitist. 

My LFS doesn’t “believe” in Nano tanks or just about anything I do. He always has some bullsh*t to say like, “marine tanks can’t survive without skimmers”. 🙄

It's crazy that is even a discussion at this point in time...it's been proven over and over. Just look at all the amazing tanks 🙂

• Like 2

I've been to many aquarium stores and have experienced this a few times. It can go the same way even when you have a larger tank. They'll ask what size tank you have and no matter what you say they've got one bigger, with better stuff etc. I got so frustrated one time I told the guy, "WTF, you're just an effing guppy salesman, quit fronting me" and walked out. 

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, Jono said:

Or Dwight Schrute Pretty Woman Style...

The LFS I go to sometimes scoffs at me for asking beginner questions. It's annoying, but I deal with it because they have good stuff. 

If I'm unfamiliar with a store I like to ask questions that would make novices think I was stupid.  Usually about compatibility, how often specific things come in (am I seeing a once in a lifetime purchase here?!) Etc.  Lots of people willing to take advantage...but also a good amount of people wanting to give good info.  

The ones I really watch out for are the ones that give bad information to make a sale and are still condescending about how they "know more" than you do.

• Like 2

I find that any hobbies especially ones that aren't mainstream but still take a lot of dedication and knowledge creates an elitist attitude.. if a lfs employee or even the owner said that to me I would have asked if they wanted to compare portfolios jk I wouldn't stoop to that level haha  I would have been more mature and just told them to suck my pickle and moved on😋...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Tmr8188 said:

I couldn’t agree more about ARC. Total ####os. 

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I have never experienced this snobbery from a store in such a manner but the hobby has died out here so they aren't likely to tick off a customer.

It's bad customer service to treat someone that way for no reason.

That’s why Canada needs the wall. We’re coming soon. 

2 hours ago, Tmr8188 said:

How long have they been there? Never made it there when I lived in the area. 

• Haha 5
12 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I find that any hobbies especially ones that aren't mainstream but still take a lot of dedication and knowledge creates an elitist attitude.. if a lfs employee or even the owner said that to me I would have asked if they wanted to compare portfolios jk I wouldn't stoop to that level haha  I would have been more mature and just told them to suck my pickle and moved on😋...

These aren't mutually exclusive (elitist way of saying you can do both 😉)

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, specore said:

These aren't mutually exclusive (elitist way of saying you can do both 😉)

What? Compare portfolios while in some odd hobby related 69?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It can be elitist and full of asshats,  I choose to not patronize those shops In fact its rare that I go to a brick and mortar LFS. Find a local reef club/forum you'd be amazed at how generous other refers can be. This is not the cheapest hobby but it can be somewhat budget friendly and rewarding if you don't buy into the hype. Given the funny dollar symbols you use I assume your in the UK and I couldn't imagine the cost of what corals cost there. But the fact that he was such a douche canoe......yeah #### that guy. Just keep your fingers crossed that the next soccer hooligan riot takes aim on his shop.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

I couldn’t agree more about ARC. Total ####os. 

That’s why Canada needs the wall. We’re coming soon. 

How long have they been there? Never made it there when I lived in the area. 

They've been there about 4 years.  It's basically a one man operation.

Snow_Phoenix
10 hours ago, Euphylin me said:

"marine tanks can't survive without skimmers".....😄 best lfs advice....hopefully he's not the owner

There's a local group online in my country that touts the whole 'you MUST have a skimmer to own a reef'. When I pointed out that a skimmer wasn't necessary, it didn't sit well with the 'veterans' of the forum. After failing to argue their points, they then resorted to attacking both my gender and race. Their new argument was that 'women' shouldn't own a fish tank (both fresh and salty), and should belong in the kitchen, cooking *them a meal. Ah, bless their souls. I left. It's not worth earning a migraine over some dipsh*ts who aren't willing to open themselves to the possibility that there are multiple ways to run a reef tank, and not just *their way. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

There's a local group online in my country that touts the whole 'you MUST have a skimmer to own a reef'. When I pointed out that a skimmer wasn't necessary, it didn't sit well with the 'veterans' of the forum. After failing to argue their points, they then resorted to attacking both my gender and race. Their new argument was that 'women' shouldn't own a fish tank (both fresh and salty), and should belong in the kitchen, cooking *them a meal. Ah, bless their souls. I left. It's not worth earning a migraine over some dipsh*ts who aren't willing to open themselves to the possibility that there are multiple ways to run a reef tank, and not just *their way. 

The reason why I keep coming back to this forum is the embrace for diversity and how nice most people are. A lot other forums on not just feeding but various hobbies would just answer “google” or something similar.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Yeah but your a women what do you know?

I am kidding but that’s the bulshit that still takes place today. That mindset is ####tarded and shows the ignorance of many in this hobby. This is why I hate most people. If anything if you want to get into sexuality and reefing women are actually  probably better at this than men.....I have no patience for anything but my wife is completely oposite. patience is key to this hobby and honestly most men...me included have very little patience. 

• Haha 3