Coral Vue Hydros

Driving nano box 3.1 with diy controllers

Ranjib

Hello hive minds ,

we are trying to use nano box 3.1 arrays with our diy controllers . I am planning to use a 3.1 array and the diy driver board , which uses led-h drivers . I can generate 5v pwm (using pca9685 ic) from our diy controller (reef-pi) . I think this should be fine, i.e. I can connect 5 channels of 5v pwm each to the pwm output pin of diy driver board( from nano box ), but I could not find any documentation on this, hence this post .

i am planning to use the recommended power adapter from nano box as well.

LogistcalReefer

should be pretty simple, heck can use the driver board Dave sells on his website for it. 

Ranjib- I used your controller setup to run a LDD-H light for awhile till my pi fried (bad power for pi) it ran fine hooked straight to the PWM from the PCA9685, and having the drivers and pi on a common ground.

on a similar subject ever thought of selling a controller less version of your lights Dave?  there are a lot of cheap options to control lights with PWM these days, significantly cheaper than a bluefish.  not sure what you pay for the bluefish controller since I'm sure you have a bulk deal, but should be a significant cost savings i would think.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
On 7/31/2018 at 7:42 PM, Ranjib said:

Hello hive minds ,

we are trying to use nano box 3.1 arrays with our diy controllers . I am planning to use a 3.1 array and the diy driver board , which uses led-h drivers . I can generate 5v pwm (using pca9685 ic) from our diy controller (reef-pi) . I think this should be fine, i.e. I can connect 5 channels of 5v pwm each to the pwm output pin of diy driver board( from nano box ), but I could not find any documentation on this, hence this post .

i am planning to use the recommended power adapter from nano box as well.

Hi guys! I'm sorry to dig up an old post, but @Ranjib I chat with you on your Reef-Pi thread on R2R as well. This is exactly what I'm hoping to do, use Dave's V3.1 arrays and Reef-Pi as a controller. Did you get a Nanobox LED array set up and running using Reef-Pi? Sorry if I missed this in your R2R thread 😉 Thanks, Ranjib!

On 8/2/2018 at 9:05 AM, DaveFason said:

All of this will work perfectly with the above. Easy as that! 

@DaveFason If you happen to see this, I have a tank that measures 24"L x 20"W x 19", would two of your V3.1 LED arrays be sufficient support an SPS tank? If so, how do you suggest I space the arrays across the tank? For example, if I used your DIY heatsink that measures 15" long, how much room would you leave between the arrays to provide the most coverage without shadowing or hot spots, or damaging the arrays? Thank you very much!

-Detritus

38 minutes ago, Detritus said:

Hi guys! I'm sorry to dig up an old post, but @Ranjib I chat with you on your Reef-Pi thread on R2R as well. This is exactly what I'm hoping to do, use Dave's V3.1 arrays and Reef-Pi as a controller. Did you get a Nanobox LED array set up and running using Reef-Pi? Sorry if I missed this in your R2R thread 😉 Thanks, Ranjib!

@DaveFason If you happen to see this, I have a tank that measures 24"L x 20"W x 19", would two of your V3.1 LED arrays be sufficient support an SPS tank? If so, how do you suggest I space the arrays across the tank? For example, if I used your DIY heatsink that measures 15" long, how much room would you leave between the arrays to provide the most coverage without shadowing or hot spots, or damaging the arrays? Thank you very much!

-Detritus

The width is pushing it. Three or four would be better with the cubish dimensions and all SPS. 

-Dave

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Detritus said:

@DaveFason, Thank you for the fast reply and advice! Can your driver board run 3 to 4 arrays?

Thanks again!

-D

Yep. Caught me while I was browsing. 🙂

Four arrays with a 48v 120w+ power supply. 

• Thanks 1