inTank Media Baskets

•Product Testers Needed• FREE Newly Designed Surface Skimmer

inTank

We need 1-2 real-world tank testers for our newly designed one piece ABS plastic Universal Surface Skimmer.

Our current design doesn't work on some AIO aquariums and has mounting limitations.  We think we came up with a much better and more simple design that should work on the majority of All-In-One aquariums, as well as aquariums with intake grates.  And the new mounting clip is awesome.

To Apply:

• List the aquarium(s) you are currently running in a reply
  • Do you have issue with surface film buildup in your current setup?
  • Have you used our current designed surface skimmer(s)?

Conditions:

Be active on Nano-Reef messaging or better yet email so we can communicate the feedback. 

Reside in the USA

Ability to send pictures if needed

Summers are busy so you need to be attentive to your aquarium for about 5 days straight.  This is in case you need to adjust water levels.

This will most likely not work on the Coralife BioCube 29 or 32 because of it's super tall intake grates.

• The surface skimmer is 4-5/8" wide
  • Aprox adjustable heights 2-1/2" to 4"

We will choose 1-2 product testers to receive a free surface skimmer.  You get to keep it after the testing feedback.

20180731_140734

20180731_140803

20180731_140644

• Like 3
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Im running a nuvo 20, I have moderate surface build up and I've never used your surface skimmer.

• Thanks 1

I’d love to be a tester! I have a Nuvo 10, which I have been noticing much more film buildup since I have upgraded to the SpinStream Nozzle because the stationary nozzle I had pointing up which created considerable surface agitation. Also, I have not used the current surface skimmer.

I run a 16 biocube. I have a decent amount of film buildup because to get the flow I want on my corals I rotate my return nozzle down, that would be really nice if it would take care of this problem. Also I’ve never used a surface skimmer. 

I am running a biocube 14 with primary filtration being my chaeto reactor (in cabinet) charcoal and floss.  Kalk plus Red Sea additives dosed via ato.  Water changes only made when parameters dictate (currently 2 months).  I do have a small amount of film at surface.  I have never used your surface skimmer. 

What are the differences between this and the old surface skimmer? I bought a used nuvo 20 from a friend and it had what I believe was the older version of this on the tank. I took them off because the water flow to the back chambers was very restricted. I currently have the innovative marine fish guards on the tank (super tiny fish) and have a lot of surface build up as well - even with returns pointed to the top. I'd be interested to try these and see how they compare. Thanks for offering this to us!

skijumpersc

I have a Red Sea max 130d. I’m currently running the adjustable surface skimmer upgrade.

I find it does an ok job of removing buildup, but I find it takes up a lot of real estate in the tank, and the mounting system isn’t awesome as it tends to migrate down from where it’s set. This leads to a change in water level in the rear chambers which messes with my skimmer and ATO.

I’d love to compare your new design to what I’ve been using. 

8 hours ago, hinnenkm said:

What are the differences between this and the old surface skimmer? I bought a used nuvo 20 from a friend and it had what I believe was the older version of this on the tank. I took them off because the water flow to the back chambers was very restricted. I currently have the innovative marine fish guards on the tank (super tiny fish) and have a lot of surface build up as well - even with returns pointed to the top. I'd be interested to try these and see how they compare. Thanks for offering this to us!

The mounting system is the main difference, you would be able to lower/raise it much easier than what we have now.  There are some other small differences on the manufacturing side that may or may not be seen in action.

Did you add more water to the rear chambers to compensate for the restriction a surface skimmer will put on the intake?

1 hour ago, skijumpersc said:

I have a Red Sea max 130d. I’m currently running the adjustable surface skimmer upgrade.

I find it does an ok job of removing buildup, but I find it takes up a lot of real estate in the tank, and the mounting system isn’t awesome as it tends to migrate down from where it’s set. This leads to a change in water level in the rear chambers which messes with my skimmer and ATO.

I’d love to compare your new design to what I’ve been using. 

The new bracket may just grab enough to work on the 130D.  The cord track on this tank is the variable.  The surface skimmer does get held in place by the incoming water flow. 

Don't know if they had it on the 130D but there was a gate on the intake grate that would have to be removed.  The 130 had the gate but didn't include the surface skimmer that came with yours.

skijumpersc
15 minutes ago, StevieT said:

The new bracket may just grab enough to work on the 130D.  The cord track on this tank is the variable.  The surface skimmer does get held in place by the incoming water flow. 

Don't know if they had it on the 130D but there was a gate on the intake grate that would have to be removed.  The 130 had the gate but didn't include the surface skimmer that came with yours.

I’ll check when I get home, but I believe there is a gate on it

30 minutes ago, StevieT said:

The mounting system is the main difference, you would be able to lower/raise it much easier than what we have now.  There are some other small differences on the manufacturing side that may or may not be seen in action.

Did you add more water to the rear chambers to compensate for the restriction a surface skimmer will put on the intake?

Thanks for the response! I did add more water, but felt like it kept the water in the display too high.

4 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

Thanks for the response! I did add more water, but felt like it kept the water in the display too high.

It will raise the water level up in the display.  You could try removing some from the display while the pump is on, but that may not allow it to skim then.  Or the skimmer would have to be lowered.  This is generally why tank manufactures don't include these because of the back and forth of the initial setup they take.

3 minutes ago, StevieT said:

It will raise the water level up in the display.  You could try removing some from the display while the pump is on, but that may not allow it to skim then.  Or the skimmer would have to be lowered.  This is generally why tank manufactures don't include these because of the back and forth of the initial setup they take.

Yup, I played around with it and they just didn’t end up working well, so now they’re sitting with my miscellaneous fish supplies. That’s why I was curious what the difference with the new ones was. Thanks much 🙂

A Little Blue

I realize the potential cost increase but wouldn't costumers find this product more appealing if it incorporated magnet mount (similar to frag rack)? 

I like free so I’ll play but it’s most likely better suited to someone else’s needs. 

IM10

No issues with surface buildup

no, I have not used the current design. 

LogicalReefs

Why is this different than the other regular grated systems like the IM10. Or is this not suited for a tank like that?

I would think if your AIO set up is similar to the IM AIO you wouldn’t have surface build up. And even if you did why would this make any difference? Honesty don’t know and would like to know more. 

16 hours ago, RocketClownfish said:

Why is this different than the other regular grated systems like the IM10. Or is this not suited for a tank like that?

I would think if your AIO set up is similar to the IM AIO you wouldn’t have surface build up. And even if you did why would this make any difference? Honesty don’t know and would like to know more. 

It is suited for a tank like this.  The stock intake grates let water in all the way from the bottom of the slits to the top.  Depending on the water level the user keeps the display at this may not create enough surface tension to remove surface film.  Especially if the water level is over the top of the intake grates.   Since the majority of the water is pulled from the middle to bottom of the intake grate surface film is not pulled through the intake slots.

The surface skimmer breaks that surface tension forcing all the entering water to be from the top.

If you kept your water level lower in the IM10 to say about 1/2 up the intake grates then you may not need it.  But some to most like their water level higher so the tank looks more full, they may have aquascape that is tall, or they don't want to see the water level line that low in the aquarium. 

Aquariums like the Fluval AIOs are terrible at surface skimming.  Which is what this product originally was for.  It can also act as a fish guard for those smaller inhabitants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

I realize the potential cost increase but wouldn't costumers find this product more appealing if it incorporated magnet mount (similar to frag rack)? 

Ideally yes.  But the cost increase is gigantic.  And what we have found in the past is that cheaper sells, especially in the day of Amazon.  We can sell these as-is for is what our cost on the magnets would be.  Unfortunately, China drove the Magnet price through the roof over the past 2-3 years.

A Little Blue
12 minutes ago, StevieT said:

Ideally yes.  But the cost increase is gigantic.  And what we have found in past is that cheaper sells, especially in the day of Amazon.  We can sell these as is for what the magnets would cost at wholesale.

Neodymium magnets are a little pricey (about $5 per set  at Am@zon prices). Additional material needed, about the same or less + extra labor. 

A survey on forums like this would show if there is a market for it. 

6 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Neodymium magnets are a little pricey (about $5 per set  at Am@zon prices). Additional material needed, about the same or less + extra labor. 

A survey on forums like this would show if there is a market for it. 

We use magnets on a surface skimmer for the AquaClears.  The outter ones need to be coated.  Cost makes them a slow mover.

I've found the wallet is the ultimate survey as it is the true equalizer.  I'd love to have them magnetic though, I think that is the ultimate design

• Like 1