SaltCritters.com

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

18 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Lol she posted that for me 😁. I have a lawnmower blenny that I am gonna get the clip for. The acans I have are growing, they don't seem to grow really fast. My blasto seems to grow quicker.

Tank looks awesome man 👍👍

Thanks buddy. I am really tring to go slow with this build and do it right. I have been keeping tanks off and on since 2000 but haven't ever really stuck with it.. I am hoping to keep this one for the long haul now that life is settling down and i have the proper funds to be a reef keeper.. hopfully it goes well and I dont nuke this tank or something lol

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Thanks buddy. I am really tring to go slow with this build and do it right. I have been keeping tanks off and on since 2000 but haven't ever really stuck with it.. I am hoping to keep this one for the long haul now that life is settling down and i have the proper funds to be a reef keeper.. hopfully it goes well and I dont nuke this tank or something lol

Anytime 😁. I've only been keeping freshwater and we'll my reptiles lol. This is the first reef tank and I too did the same, waited for life to allow me to play lol. I did years of research before I even started this tank, which has helped avoid major losses. When I start my 75 I'm going to do it way different than the 20. Can't wait to see your tank fill up.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
4 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hint hint................the acans will grow good if you feed them :wink: they open up at night and well toss some food in them and they will grow........

I always wondered, do you have to feed all the heads??

8 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hint hint................the acans will grow good if you feed them :wink: they open up at night and well toss some food in them and they will grow........

I have this lobo that I can blast with reef roids during the day and that will bring out the feeding tenticals then i drop some mysis in there.  Hoping I can do the same with acanS.  I like those guys planning on buying some good size frags soon after the holiday shipping rush is over

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Weikel said:

I have this lobo that I can blast with reef roids during the day and that will bring out the feeding tenticals then i drop some mysis in there.  Hoping I can do the same with acanS.  I like those guys planning on buying some good size frags soon after the holiday shipping rush is over

yep there the same way. I used to feed mine but just got lazy.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Id love to feed mine... That's kinda on hold till I get algae under control 😑

Haha yea I hope you get that gha under control. When I had it it was madding.. I was about to take the biocube down so I tried that reflux.. it was a game changer

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
6 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Haha yea I hope you get that gha under control. When I had it it was madding.. I was about to take the biocube down so I tried that reflux.. it was a game changer

I've seen all these things to add...I kinda want to win the battle of finding the source, then after this crazy holiday when things get on track again, building up a good crew to make everything pretty again. Trying the water first and that's really the last thing, if it keeps up I may try hydrogen peroxide dosing. Only thing with that is it makes my rock flowers all pissed for a day. Don't know if you remember back about a month ago I over dosed peroxide 😶 and was up doing an emergency water change lol....don't want that to happen again.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I've seen all these things to add...I kinda want to win the battle of finding the source, then after this crazy holiday when things get on track again, building up a good crew to make everything pretty again. Trying the water first and that's really the last thing, if it keeps up I may try hydrogen peroxide dosing. Only thing with that is it makes my rock flowers all pissed for a day. Don't know if you remember back about a month ago I over dosed peroxide 😶 and was up doing an emergency water change lol....don't want that to happen again.

Yea I did the whole peroxide thing. I wouldn’t dose the tank more spot treat if you go that route. I also tried the rip clean with peroxide too and the algae just came back. Mind you I wasn’t over feeding . I fed my fish every three days.. and did religious 20-30 percent water changes for at least 6 months.. did all the right stuff blast the rocks and sand . Clean the back chambers.. ran phosguard . Grew cheato, had a skimmer blah blah blah.. oh and had my own rodi that always made zero  tds.   Honestly I think my love rock I got from the lfs was leaching phos even though my salfert test where reading zero. Long story short after I treated with reef flux and stopped w.c. It went away.. go figure huh.. started dosing two part and doing a small w.c I dunno maybe once a month or every two months my coral grew way better and almost zero algae .. well besides coralline that stuff took off after dosing ....

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Yea I did the whole peroxide thing. I wouldn’t dose the tank more spot treat if you go that route. I also tried the rip clean with peroxide too and the algae just came back. Mind you I wasn’t over feeding . I fed my fish every three days.. and did religious 20-30 percent water changes for at least 6 months.. did all the right stuff blast the rocks and sand . Clean the back chambers.. ran phosguard . Grew cheato, had a skimmer blah blah blah.. oh and had my own rodi that always made zero  tds.   Honestly I think my love rock I got from the lfs was leaching phos even though my salfert test where reading zero. Long story short after I treated with reef flux and stopped w.c. It went away.. go figure huh.. started dosing two part and doing a small w.c I dunno maybe once a month or every two months my coral grew way better and almost zero algae .. well besides coralline that stuff took off after dosing ....

Well I'll keep that in mind...last ditch effort if this doesn't work. I'm gonna add some macro algae after the holidays in hopes of killing the algae that way lol. It's going to be fun to rid the tank of it 🙄

Well out of town for Christmas and away from the tank . 😥.. kinda freaky longest I have been away from this tank is 2 days and this time it's going to be for about 6 ..  never really thought I would want an apex bc all of my stuff is already automated with controllers and such.  I really think Apex is overpriced crap you really dont need but it sure would be nice to login and check temp, ph, and salinity etc when you are on vacation.. would it be super weird to install one of those wifi cameras and aim it at the tank ???Wahahaha...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well got home after being away from the tank for 5 days and everything survived. Totally a plus.. alk dropped about 1 dhk and ca dropped a good chunk too. It was a little ballsy but I did bring my doser online the day before we left.. good thing I did,  just have to dial it up now.. dosed everything by hand and params should be back where I like them now.. 

Kinda nervous/excited. placed my first online order for coral today😋.. I am never home on week days so this is the first chance I had to try online buying out.. wanted to buy from a store that is in my home state of california so after cruzing some sites I ended up going with uniquecorals.com . Hopefully they arrive in good shape. Oh and I am not a sps fan but I wanted to try some out so I ordered a couple this time. Should be interesting to see if I can keep them alive..

I am running 2 kessil a360s at about 65 percent . Any ideas on how to light acclimate these sps?? I have a frag rack so I was thinking start them out there about the middle of the glass????

Screenshot_20181227-135450_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Weikel said:

Well got home after being away from the tank for 5 days and everything survived. Totally a plus.. alk dropped about 1 dhk and ca dropped a good chunk too. It was a little ballsy but I did bring my doser online the day before we left.. good thing I did,  just have to dial it up now.. dosed everything by hand and params should be back where I like them now.. 

Kinda nervous/excited. placed my first online order for coral today😋.. I am never home on week days so this is the first chance I had to try online buying out.. wanted to buy from a store that is in my home state of california so after cruzing some sites I ended up going with uniquecorals.com . Hopefully they arrive in good shape. Oh and I am not a sps fan but I wanted to try some out so I ordered a couple this time. Should be interesting to see if I can keep them alive..

I am running 2 kessil a360s at about 65 percent . Any ideas on how to light acclimate these sps?? I have a frag rack so I was thinking start them out there about the middle of the glass????

Screenshot_20181227-135450_Chrome.jpg

I would start the SPS even lower...maybe on the sand bed for a week and then move them up.  I've bleached plenty, but most have recovered...its just better when you don't bleach them 😏

Dosing will definitely help with SPS success.  Strawberry Shortcake is a great acro...I have one as well.  If your tank is low in po4 and no3 than make sure your alkalinity is on the lower end.  I run my alk at 7.6 to 7.8 or so.

Tank is looking great.

7 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I would start the SPS even lower...maybe on the sand bed for a week and then move them up.  I've bleached plenty, but most have recovered...its just better when you don't bleach them 😏

Dosing will definitely help with SPS success.  Strawberry Shortcake is a great acro...I have one as well.  If your tank is low in po4 and no3 than make sure your alkalinity is on the lower end.  I run my alk at 7.6 to 7.8 or so.

Tank is looking great.

Thanks! Well my tank is definitely low on nutrients I run about 3 nitrates and undetectable on phos.. seems when j drop the alk to below 8 the lps look like dog shit🤔

Understood...maybe run it in between 8 and 9.  I know for me personally high alk (above 9) and low nutrients equal bleached SPS.  Lowering light intensity is another option.

Mixed reefs are tough due to trying to meet requirements of several types of corals.  At least now you'll have a couple different SPS to experiment with.  Just keep that alk stable and resist the urge to keep moving the corals around once they are light acclimated.

I have an unknown SPS that was brown and sitting in the same spot for 10 months...all of the sudden it just started growing and is now a teal color.

1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

Understood...maybe run it in between 8 and 9.  I know for me personally high alk (above 9) and low nutrients equal bleached SPS.  Lowering light intensity is another option.

Mixed reefs are tough due to trying to meet requirements of several types of corals.  At least now you'll have a couple different SPS to experiment with.  Just keep that alk stable and resist the urge to keep moving the corals around once they are light acclimated.

I have an unknown SPS that was brown and sitting in the same spot for 10 months...all of the sudden it just started growing and is now a teal color.

Thanks for the input. This is definitely going to be a learning experience with the sps

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Thanks for the input. This is definitely going to be a learning experience with the sps

I ordered my first fish last month. I was surprised in how well they are packaged. Can't wait to see the new additions 🙂

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I ordered my first fish last month. I was surprised in how well they are packaged. Can't wait to see the new additions 🙂

Kinda freaky right??  I mean I know they get shipped around the world but damn i manage to kill them in my tank anyway 

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
17 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Kinda freaky right??  I mean I know they get shipped around the world but damn i manage to kill them in my tank anyway 

You'll be good👍👍

• Thanks 1

Well my first online purchase didnt go as well as I hoped . This strawberry shortcake frag looks dead to me. If you get super close to the tank like your nose touching the glass I think I can see a little color. The birds nest looks bleached but has polyps so I think it will make it.. the blue mushroom is super tiny lol. On the positive side the Acans I bought was huge and I got a freebie acan frag that's nice too. Hopfully I can reach out to the vendor and see what to do about the dead frag..

20181229_104518.jpg

20181229_104554.jpg

20181229_104615.jpg

20181229_104531.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and I did get a cheap wifi camera so I can check on the tank when I go out of town. Will be nice to see how much water I have in my ato and get an idea of how the tank is doing. Oh and check skimmer level too.. 😎

Screenshot_20181229-104129_Wansview.jpg

• Like 2