Pod Your Reef

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

Well not much to update but my clown hasn’t died so I can safely say my tank is cycled. Went out of town this weekend and the tank didn’t burn to the ground so that’s a plus.. next weekend corals!!!.  Kinda weird I have had my lights on for 3 weeks now and no diatoms.. very weird I was expecting to see my rocks covered ...

• Like 2
Just now, Weikel said:

Well not much to update but my clown hasn’t died so I can safely say my tank is cycled. Went out of town this weekend and the tank didn’t burn to the ground so that’s a plus.. next weekend corals!!!.  Kinda weird I have had my lights on for 3 weeks now and no diatoms.. very weird I was expecting to see my rocks covered ...

Yay!! 😄

• Like 1
Just now, Weikel said:

I didn't have any diatoms until like a month after my tank was mostly stocked and even then, they lasted 2 or 3 days and disappeared after the next water change.  You must be pretty low on silicates. 

• Like 1
On 10/15/2018 at 5:23 PM, patback said:

I didn't have any diatoms until like a month after my tank was mostly stocked and even then, they lasted 2 or 3 days and disappeared after the next water change.  You must be pretty low on silicates. 

Yea that's what I am thinking low silicates... tanks been running since 9.3.17 but only added a fish like a week ago...

My lfs never has trouchus snails and they had some today so I got 7 of them and added that. Hope they hang in there bc there is zero visible alage 😓

Well I guess I popped my fraging cherry. I have never really fragged a coral myself and well I still haven't,  but I did remove a coral from a frag plug and glue it onto a new plug lol.. that being said I added my first coral to my new tank. Pretty excited about it hopefully it does well. 

• Like 2

Finally got my new fish. He is super cool but still pretty timid.. I got him in my 32 cube so i can observe him for a month or so before adding him to the reefer.. fish store had this little guy since September and he is still looking healthy so hopefully no ich...

20181021_160125.jpg

• Like 4

Shit 4 pages and only one frag :tears:

:tongueout: figured I would venture out :lol:

and get that mixing bucket away from the tool chest.............that thing will start rusting...........I know from experience :lol: my MAC top box has rusted from being next to a bucket for a few.............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Shit 4 pages and only one frag :tears:

:tongueout: figured I would venture out :lol:

and get that mixing bucket away from the tool chest.............that thing will start rusting...........I know from experience :lol: my MAC top box has rusted from being next to a bucket for a few.............

Well well well looked who got out of the lounge 😎... 4 pages and 2 frags by the way lol...

Never thought about the tools being so close to the mixing station though. I really only make water over night then mix for ummm 20 minutes then empty the can so maybe the tools will be good I dunno 🤔..

12 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Well well well looked who got out of the lounge 😎... 4 pages and 2 frags by the way lol...

Never thought about the tools being so close to the mixing station though. I really only make water over night then mix for ummm 20 minutes then empty the can so maybe the tools will be good I dunno 🤔..

Yeah I would mix and let sit.....................

Dont get used to it this may be my only other post :lol:

• Haha 2

So kinda weird I came home today and my two frags looked a little sucked up. It's a 15 head candy cane coral and a small torch.. so I am a tester. Last Thursday my alk was 8 and ca was 430. Now I have checked weekly and it's been the same before the corals were added.  Today I tested twice and alk was 7 and ca was 390.. kinda weird that it they would drop so fast.. i am dosing it up but man seems weird right???

5 minutes ago, Weikel said:

So kinda weird I came home today and my two frags looked a little sucked up. It's a 15 head candy cane coral and a small torch.. so I am a tester. Last Thursday my alk was 8 and ca was 430. Now I have checked weekly and it's been the same before the corals were added.  Today I tested twice and alk was 7 and ca was 390.. kinda weird that it they would drop so fast.. i am dosing it up but man seems weird right???

Is that drop over a week?

If the corals are fairly large and you have coralline in the tank, it could drop that much over a few days.

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Is that drop over a week?

If the corals are fairly large and you have coralline in the tank, it could drop that much over a few days.

No that's the weird part zero corlline it's a couple month old tank with dry rock. And yea only a couple days worth of consumption.  I feel the frags are smaller about golf ball size maybe bigger. And this tank is 55 gallons plus 13 gallon sump with rock and sand I figure 50ish gallons... I am stumped but I guess will see what happens over the next week???🤔

• 2 weeks later...

So I added some coral a week ago. My frogspawn and hammer seems to be bleeching and has me stumped.. i was running them in my biocube under a nanobox duo at 75 percent pretty high up in the tank. Now they are in my reefer under kessil 360s at 75 percent.. now I have a narrow version and a wide .. the frogspawn I fraged in two and are on the bottom and about a quarter of the way up under the wide kessil and the hammer is under the narrow in the middle . Both are bleaching what gives? My nutrients Re low nitrates are 5 phosphate zero and in this new tank I have zero alage and zero phosphates.. I haven't been feeding the coral just pellets daily to the only fish a clown.. I have had corals in for a month and zero water changes too.. you think this is from to much light or not enough nutrients?? Weird is they have full extension just losing color... 

Zero ammonia and nitrate. 5 nitrates.  Alk is 8.4 , ca 430, mg 1300... all of that has been steady..

Ideas???

40 minutes ago, patback said:

I expected to see 3 tangs and a foxface in there by now.  What's taking so long over here?

Lol I actually do have a kole tang in quarantine right now. Hoping to drop him in here in a couple weeks.. trying this whole “nothing happens fast in reefing” idea .. 

9 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Lol I actually do have a kole tang in quarantine right now. Hoping to drop him in here in a couple weeks.. trying this whole “nothing happens fast in reefing” idea .. 

Ahhh, bologna. I had 7 fish by like, a month of start up in the 170. Lol

• Haha 1