Innovative Marine Aquariums

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

Well not too much to update . I am now starting to get diatoms which Is kinda weird because my tank is a few months old now. Normally I would get them in the first few week.. this is my first time using dry rock so who knows?

Got the final peice of my equipment installed today. Got a tunze ato.. was kinda a pain to install, not bc of the tunze just tring to installing it on a running system and keep the sump area clean.. turned out nice though! And best part not having to add rodi water to the stock reservoir every other day 😎

Not much has changed for livestock though. Had to return my clown bc he would hosting all my corals to the point he was killing them.  Moved the kole tang to the reefer . Tried to get a new fish at the lfs but man it's hard to find a suitable fish for a 55 gallon that's colorful, peaceful, and isnt a jumper(dont want to put a screen on the new tank). I ended up grabbing a bangi cardinal though just something to start in the qt.  Oh and I got a cool torch too 😊

Any fish ideas? Want something colorful and something that likely wont jump..

20181125_115739.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_60431248003525_20181125_120036599.jpeg

20181125_115807.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_60528038831769_20181125_120213390.jpeg

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, patback said:

Working in a sump of a running system is never fun. Everything's looking good.  

No recommendations on a fish though.  Ime, they all will jump.  

Thanks! Yea I agree any fish can jump but I looking for fish that I guess aren't known "jumpers" like for example I have heard wrasse are big jumpers or even firefish .

I am thinking about another clownfish,  royal gramma, tsb,  . What I really want it a flame hawk fish but I am worried that it might get too aggressive. I would also like a yellow fish but I am having a hard time finding one that isnt a "jumper"

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, patback said:

How do you feel about a mandarin?

They are pretty cool but have heard all the story's about them only eating pods to survive.  Seems like a pita.. you ever had one ? Are they as hard to keep as everyone says they are?

1 hour ago, Weikel said:

They are pretty cool but have heard all the story's about them only eating pods to survive.  Seems like a pita.. you ever had one ? Are they as hard to keep as everyone says they are?

I tried a mandarin and wasnt able to train it to pellets before someone in my tank killed it.  I got a target dragonet to nibble on some pellets but that one didnt last very long. I honestly dont remember what happened to it.  Tank crash maybe??? 

If you feed the tank well, pods will repopulate in a tank your size imo.  I'm by no means an expert though. 

So i was doing a wc on my cube this weekend. I just turned off the return pump and when I went to turn it on the damn thing quit working. Luckily I had a little pump io use for transfering water that i could use.  That got me thinking man if my reefer pump went out I would be screwed. Soooo. I decided to buy a back up pump and I bigger hose so i can use it for it for mixing and transferring water too.  I might have bought too big of a hose . Haha 1 inch i.d. water changes will be fast as shit now lol. Whatcha think @HarryPotter... maybe I can do those 10 min wc now 😎

20181127_162011.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
58 minutes ago, Weikel said:

So i was doing a wc on my cube this weekend. I just turned off the return pump and when I went to turn it on the damn thing quit working. Luckily I had a little pump io use for transfering water that i could use.  That got me thinking man if my reefer pump went out I would be screwed. Soooo. I decided to buy a back up pump and I bigger hose so i can use it for it for mixing and transferring water too.  I might have bought too big of a hose . Haha 1 inch i.d. water changes will be fast as shit now lol. Whatcha think @HarryPotter... maybe I can do those 10 min wc now 😎

20181127_162011.jpg

@kimberbee do you think this hose is too big?

• Haha 4
2 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

Damn you!!!

Oh and how's the sleep going? You ready to start doing meth yet? I heard from a friend it gives you wings 😋

ekQpV59.gif

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Oh and how's the sleep going? You ready to start doing meth yet? I heard from a friend it gives you wings 😋

ekQpV59.gif

What sleep? Hahaha... *cries*

• Haha 2
On 11/25/2018 at 6:15 PM, Weikel said:

Now that I'm properly caught up... 

I had a mandarin in my old biocube for a while. It wasn't too hard to get it eating frozen. It really liked bloodworms and I would mix those in with mysis and brine. It jumped and became jerky though. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
10 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Now that I'm properly caught up... 

I had a mandarin in my old biocube for a while. It wasn't too hard to get it eating frozen. It really liked bloodworms and I would mix those in with mysis and brine. It jumped and became jerky though. 

Hmmm. I like mandarin fish but not enough to make it a project.  Maybe once the tank settles in I will give one a try. Seems kinda like a pain in the butt making sure the little guy eats. I guess I am gun shy bc I bought  a nps sun coral once and got tired real quick of trying to feed it all the time. I am more of a throw food in the tank , eat if you want, if not you starve kinda guy 🤣

• Like 2

Well this bubble magnus skimmer seems to be pulling out some decent skim. It's still cheaper Chinese crap but all in all not a bad build. I really like it for the 100 bucks on sale price lol.. hopefully it keeps on truckin

20181128_162409.jpg

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Well this bubble magnus skimmer seems to be pulling out some decent skim. It's still cheaper Chinese crap but all in all not a bad build. I really like it for the 100 bucks on sale price lol.. hopefully it keeps on truckin

20181128_162409.jpg

No matter what I do, I cant get dark skim mate in my cup.  I either get yellow tinted water or the foulest gunk ever seen right up the the very tip, but the foam never pushes it into the cup

I long for your fish shit, is what I guess I am saying. 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, patback said:

No matter what I do, I cant get dark skim mate in my cup.  I either get yellow tinted water or the foulest gunk ever seen right up the the very tip, but the foam never pushes it into the cup

I long for your fish shit, is what I guess I am saying. 

Ha yea I just figured out how to dial this skimmer in myself. Kinda a pain in the dick, I have to adjust it everytime I turn the skimmer off and then back on . Usually takes a couple days to get it skimming good again.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well mounted the new torch just now. Think it's going to do good there.. oh and thought I had escaped diatoms with this tank. Took a few months but they are starting to show up.. cant wait for them to run their course 

LRM_EXPORT_347016424386985_20181212_141549056.jpeg

• Like 2

I swear I still had some diatoms last night then today bam.. 98 percent gone 

Oh and a new little 20 dollar acan.  It has 2 small heads on the other side too😊.. not sure how fast they grow bit hopefully not too slow

LRM_EXPORT_501574495732679_20181217_161621290.jpeg

LRM_EXPORT_501496653089011_20181217_161503447.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey @WV Reefer I saw some post that you made somewhere that had this seaweed holder deal. How does that work? I have a clip but this tang I have just tips the seaweed off . You think a tang could eat out of that contraption you have?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Weikel said:

Hey @WV Reefer I saw some post that you made somewhere that had this seaweed holder deal. How does that work? I have a clip but this tang I have just tips the seaweed off . You think a tang could eat out of that contraption you have?

I have a yellow tang that manages just fine.  😊

FA4F480C-C60D-4B31-B9AC-A4CC277D644A.thumb.jpeg.b6e60fa0de174ac7033b82df23c5101c.jpeg

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

I have a yellow tang that manages just fine.  😊

FA4F480C-C60D-4B31-B9AC-A4CC277D644A.thumb.jpeg.b6e60fa0de174ac7033b82df23c5101c.jpeg

Cool that's the one!! They sure are proud of that thing though 28 bones.. shezzz

• Like 2
Just now, Weikel said:

Cool that's the one!! They sure are proud of that thing though 28 bones.. shezzz

Works well though.  They can’t pull it all out at once.  

Heres Tommy going at it:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Works well though.  They can’t pull it all out at once.  

Heres Tommy going at it:

Haha cool!! Mr bleeny was tring to go at it too!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Weikel said:

Haha cool!! Mr bleeny was tring to go at it too!

All of my fish except the Watchman Goby eat from it. The Red Mithrax Crab crawls up it to eat and the Abolone munches there too.  

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER

Lol she posted that for me 😁. I have a lawnmower blenny that I am gonna get the clip for. The acans I have are growing, they don't seem to grow really fast. My blasto seems to grow quicker.

Tank looks awesome man 👍👍

• Like 2