Cultivated Reef

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

So did some testing and levels are a little lower than I like. (Also the doser kicks on in about 30 mins so the ca and alk should be a little bit higher)

Alk 7.3  normally run 7.8ish

Ca 400 normally run 420-440

Mag 1200 normally run 1300

Po4 is good at .05 on the hanna ulr 

Nitrates are low again at 2 🤦‍♂️

2 minutes ago, spectra said:

turn the phone so we can get a normal view...............not a sideways shot...............look how the video is oriented.............

Lol I forgot you use your damn PC.. old timer😉

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
mitten_reef
11 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

So dang I had to scroll back deep to find a pic of the par meter setup. Looks like I need to check again (time flys!!!) Bc I had increased my lighting quite a bit but then dialed it back bc things started to look bleached..

And found a pic of the monti . Man looked good when i got it back around the beginning of the year.

And shout out to @mitten_reef after that try back through memory lane in my thread I realized he has been tring to help my sps woes for well over a year😂😂

Screenshot_20200516-060923_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200516-061921_Chrome.jpg

Been hopping in here on and off. But now officially following. 🙌

good luck on the stylo, frag looks nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Been hopping in here on and off. But now officially following. 🙌

good luck on the stylo, frag looks nice. 

Hell your addicted........................:lol: like there are better things than fish geek forums..............well beer of course so the fish geeks are second I guess............:unsure: well food so maybe third..............

• Haha 2
mitten_reef
58 minutes ago, spectra said:

Hell your addicted........................:lol: like there are better things than fish geek forums..............well beer of course so the fish geeks are second I guess............:unsure: well food so maybe third..............

Oh, no. I just meant hopping in to his thread.

but yeah, food, who doesn’t like food.  

• Like 2

So sps geeks any idea around what par you start a new frag at? I kinda feel that's where u go wrong. Starting this stylo at around 150 par.  No idea if that's good or bad. And how fast to move it higher..

What ya got @mitten_reef ?

1589934225637600466939345837919.jpg

• Like 1

I'm no @mitten_reef...but have my fair share of SPS.  I honestly think 150 par is fine to start it at.  I'd give it a week or two and then move it up to the 200 par range.  Give it another couple of weeks and move it up to 250 par.  From there, just keep an eye on it and see how it does.  If it starts lightening up, move it down a bit.  If not, you could go up a little higher.  That stylo will do fine in the 250 to 350 range. 

Slow is better than fast...like everything else in this hobby.  I just bleached a few corals by adding a third radion, even after doing par readings.  It took about two weeks for the corals to start showing the effects.  

Just keep the parameters stable.  Sending good vibes.  I think this will be the one 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef
48 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

So sps geeks any idea around what par you start a new frag at? I kinda feel that's where u go wrong. Starting this stylo at around 150 par.  No idea if that's good or bad. And how fast to move it higher..

What ya got @mitten_reef ?

1589934225637600466939345837919.jpg

I don’t have any measurement for my light 🤷🏻‍♂️, other than Dave told me it could be 1000 par at 6” from fixture. 

Anyway, that “milka stylo” frag looks good! Nice white growth tips, bright purple polyps and no tissue recession at the base. I think the polyps could/would be a little bit fluffier when happy.  I think these guys can take a lot of light too, seen tanks with them up high on the rocks, showing these little white tips on deep purple base. I gave a frag to @DSFIRSTSLTWATER last fall.  I’ll see if I can dig up any old pic. I gave my last piece to LFS a while back. 

If you can fit the rack on the side, move it before you scratch up your front viewing pane. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
mitten_reef

When it’s fluffy, you could hardly see the brown base, makes for quite an awesome little stick. I think this was my original frag shortly after I first got it back in 2018. 
1A7B69EB-73F3-4B15-9BFC-A6FE91FB56F8.thumb.jpeg.009afaa790296d6cd328382ac3cfba39.jpeg

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

I don’t have any measurement for my light 🤷🏻‍♂️, other than Dave told me it could be 1000 par at 6” from fixture. 

Anyway, that “milka stylo” frag looks good! Nice white growth tips, bright purple polyps and no tissue recession at the base. I think the polyps could/would be a little bit fluffier when happy.  I think these guys can take a lot of light too, seen tanks with them up high on the rocks, showing these little white tips on deep purple base. I gave a frag to @DSFIRSTSLTWATER last fall.  I’ll see if I can dig up any old pic. I gave my last piece to LFS a while back. 

If you can fit the rack on the side, move it before you scratch up your front viewing pane. 

So I want to get a par meter or at least rent one, but here's what I'm sitting at with the lux meter I got on the play store... I took a measurement outside under a sunny day and the lux meter was at 108,000 😮. The highest measurement I got under my prime hd was 22,000 🙄 directly under the light. So I figured if I can get 60-70k that should be fine. I've been running this light so low and that's why the digis browned out on me. Since we have been talking I have been slowly ramping up the lights since we last talked.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I'm no @mitten_reef...but have my fair share of SPS.  I honestly think 150 par is fine to start it at.  I'd give it a week or two and then move it up to the 200 par range.  Give it another couple of weeks and move it up to 250 par.  From there, just keep an eye on it and see how it does.  If it starts lightening up, move it down a bit.  If not, you could go up a little higher.  That stylo will do fine in the 250 to 350 range. 

Slow is better than fast...like everything else in this hobby.  I just bleached a few corals by adding a third radion, even after doing par readings.  It took about two weeks for the corals to start showing the effects.  

Just keep the parameters stable.  Sending good vibes.  I think this will be the one 👍

Thank you sir... I appreciate the info. Really trying to ya know not kill this one haha🤙...

19 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

So I want to get a par meter or at least rent one, but here's what I'm sitting at with the lux meter I got on the play store... I took a measurement outside under a sunny day and the lux meter was at 108,000 😮. The highest measurement I got under my prime hd was 22,000 🙄 directly under the light. So I figured if I can get 60-70k that should be fine. I've been running this light so low and that's why the digis browned out on me. Since we have been talking I have been slowly ramping up the lights since we last talked.

Once this covid shit is over I can send you mine to take some readings

• Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
15 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Thank you sir... I appreciate the info. Really trying to ya know not kill this one haha🤙...

Once this covid shit is over I can send you mine to take some readings

That would be awesome. The lux on my phone seems right but it would be cool to know the par

• Like 1

So go to do my wc and bumped the mp10 after I was done.. spit shit everywhere. No big deal will get sucked up. Anyway I know I have a few of those little starfish but after that serously dozens came running out.. hard to see in the pic but I will try and attach one.

Is having this many of these guys a bad thing??

20200523_153356.jpg

Resized_20200523_153849.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
13 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

I have a ton as well.  Micro brittle stars I believe.  Just scavengers and hopefully a sign of tank maturity.

I hope so. Tank seems to be starting to take off. Having some corals that were dead rebound nicely.  Seeing tons of life now with spaghetti worms,  bristle worms, and these little star fish. Cool starting with dry rock seeing it come to life.. 

• Like 2

Well still alive🤞

And the second little guy(shitty pic 🤷‍♂️) was completely dead I thought.   Been like that for months and now in 2 to 3 weeks it has some growth 🤯

20200528_160858.jpg

20200528_161015.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

Well still alive🤞

And the second little guy(shitty pic 🤷‍♂️) was completely dead I thought.   Been like that for months and now in 2 to 3 weeks it has some growth 🤯

20200528_160858.jpg

20200528_161015.jpg

Looks good...looks a lot more fluffy than in the pic of when you first got it.  Doesn't appear to bleaching.  Just make sure it's getting good intermittent flow...polyps should be moving and that your alk is locked.  Pretty sure that stylo was the first SPS I put in my tank 2+ years ago.  It's very resilient once settled in.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Looks good...looks a lot more fluffy than in the pic of when you first got it.  Doesn't appear to bleaching.  Just make sure it's getting good intermittent flow...polyps should be moving and that your alk is locked.  Pretty sure that stylo was the first SPS I put in my tank 2+ years ago.  It's very resilient once settled in.

Thanks! But to be honest I took the second pic with the pumps off and in the first pic I had just moved the frag rack lol.. but your right doesnt seem to be bleaching or losing color so I am hopeful 😀.

About the flow.. right now it has good flow but where I want to move it has a quite a bit more flow. Think that's ok for a stylo.. it is internment though.. long pulses from a gyre style wavemaker

6 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Thanks! But to be honest I took the second pic with the pumps off and in the first pic I had just moved the frag rack lol.. but your right doesnt seem to be bleaching or losing color so I am hopeful 😀.

About the flow.. right now it has good flow but where I want to move it has a quite a bit more flow. Think that's ok for a stylo.. it is internment though.. long pulses from a gyre style wavemaker

It'll be fine with strong intermittent flow.  The only time it's too much is if you literally damage the coral.  SPS depend on flow to feed and expel waste...it'll be happy in the new spot...as long as you don't kill it with the light 😉

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

long as you don't kill it with the light 😉

Well that's the kicker isnt it😂

• Haha 1
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

Well still alive🤞

20200528_160858.jpg

20200528_161015.jpg

Looking fluffy, but what are we looking at in that second pic?

33 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

a red circle with a booger in it duh................:biggrin: probably an aptasia or something..............

• Haha 4
12 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Lol well it used to look like this. Favia I believe.  When my tank went down hill last year I thought i lost this one. I just left the dead frag on the plug bc i was lazy then all of a sudden a few weeks ago it started to come back

Screenshot_20200529-065031_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5