Innovative Marine Aquariums

FISHnChix REEFER 250 BUILD *! New SPS🤞🤞🤙 *🍻

FISHnChix

ECLS Reefer
4 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Shoot I had a peppermint once .. after he got done with the apstaia he chewed on my lps😯

I forgot I have those two peppermints- they finally ate all the aptasia in the tank and now if I reach in to feed corals or move something they freaking crawl up my arm like they’re gonna eat it too. I usually end up shaking one off he’s so aggressive. Little turds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Pistol shrimp? I’m still looking for one locally for my ywg. 

I always see folks talking about them , but have never actually seen on in person.. they sound like fun to watch 😊 I hear they like to burrow and make the sand bed a bit of a mess though?.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I always see folks talking about them , but have never actually seen on in person.. they sound like fun to watch 😊 I hear they like to burrow and make the sand bed a bit of a mess though?.

They can make a mess and they also steal shit. Fun to watch though. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

Haha that’s pretty darn neat!

They are pretty funny. 

What about some type of lobster?  Some of them are really pretty.  

ECLS Reefer
7 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

They are pretty funny. 

Aren’t they huge?

• Like 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, WV Reefer said:

Not all.  Lots of different types.  I think squat lobsters are super cute. 

Squat lobster 😂. Sounds like a name for a big poop

• Haha 3
mitten_reef
10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

They are pretty funny. 

In my first go-round with reef tank, I had one of these mini reef lobsters, the more purple one I think (link).  Very cool to watch when it went on a walkabout and roamed around the tank to grab pieces of food, or even when it was perching in a cave.  They aren't known diggers and didn't pair with gobies in my several tries.  It was very brightly colored.  At max size of around 5", they could be big enough to attack small fish and snails tho.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

In my first go-round with reef tank, I had one of these mini reef lobsters, the more purple one I think (link).  Very cool to watch when it went on a walkabout and roamed around the tank to grab pieces of food, or even when it was perching in a cave.  They aren't known diggers and didn't pair with gobies in my several tries.  It was very brightly colored.  At max size of around 5", they could be big enough to attack small fish and snails tho.

10 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Not all.  Lots of different types.  I think squat lobsters are super cute. 

Are they reef safe? I always thought the lobsters were super cool , but havent seem them in many peoples tanks.. I just assumed they werent reef safe.....

• Like 1
mitten_reef
Just now, FISHnChix said:

Are they reef safe?

Link to LA said with caution.  As far as corals? IME, yes, mine never showed any interests in corals.  they would definitely attack snails for food if hungry, that tank was going thru snails pretty fast.  If you have small fish that sleep in rocks, maybe that can become the lobster's midnight snack?  It's not fast enough to grab free swimming fish, but sleeping fish, well who knows.  I think mine went after a sleeping 6-line wrasse once.  6-line sleeps in rocks, lobster hunts in rocks - so that wasn't a good combination.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So @mcarroll I know you are a hater of dry rock , but I'm about a year in and loving it.. no hitchhikers came on the rock , I got a few from corals😡 just saying quit all the dry rock hate..  and thanks for all your help with the nr community buddy..🤙.. #its.sopurple.... 

LRM_EXPORT_72240841465520_20190809_183153372.jpeg

• Like 2

Anymore dry rock is all thats out there................. you may be able to get some sort of live rock from a LFS but probably junk..............can get some from Florida but that stuff is heavy and just not for me...........

Loved my pukani but its non existent now............Fiji was great to but..................

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, spectra said:

Anymore dry rock is all thats out there................. you may be able to get some sort of live rock from a LFS but probably junk..............can get some from Florida but that stuff is heavy and just not for me...........

Loved my pukani but its non existent now............Fiji was great to but..................

Exactly most live rock is just cured dry rock that some lfs sells for double the price 🤦‍♂️

• Wow 1

Exactly most live rock is just cured dry rock that some lfs sells for double the price 🤦‍♂️

Well......................now yes but back in the day not so much.................you would get rock that was sweet...............I remember years ago picked up some rock from Fiji and it was the shit.............one rock fit in my cube I had..............was a nice piece.................

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

So @mcarroll I know you are a hater of dry rock , but I'm about a year in and loving it.. no hitchhikers came on the rock , I got a few from corals😡 just saying quit all the dry rock hate..  and thanks for all your help with the nr community buddy..🤙.

Hm?  PM sent...

So I had a question. After I cleaned my sump this weekend and did a 40ish percent wc , the next day I noticed my water was a smidge cloudy (hard to tell in the photo but it's very noticable in person)? Couple of days later and it's still cloudy. Any ideas??? Bacterial bloom starting???

Only thing that I did was clean the sump and do a 16 gallon wc conpair3d to my normal 10 gallon. Oh and changed the rox carbon...

15656509116285254165955532621734.jpg

1 hour ago, FISHnChix said:

So I had a question. After I cleaned my sump this weekend and did a 40ish percent wc , the next day I noticed my water was a smidge cloudy (hard to tell in the photo but it's very noticable in person)? Couple of days later and it's still cloudy. Any ideas??? Bacterial bloom starting???

Only thing that I did was clean the sump and do a 16 gallon wc conpair3d to my normal 10 gallon. Oh and changed the rox carbon...

15656509116285254165955532621734.jpg

I would guess bloom from the sump cleaning.  As long as everything's happy, just monitor everything. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, patback said:

I would guess bloom from the sump cleaning.  As long as everything's happy, just monitor everything. 

So far so good. I have one frogspawn that is a little pissed but I also bumped the alk a bit with the big WC... funny thing is I have two of them one frayed from the other and one is fine and other is slightly retracted 🤔.. how should I deal with the bacteria bloom dont reall want to do a uv sterilizer

Just now, FISHnChix said:

So far so good. I have one frogspawn that is a little pissed but I also bumped the alk a bit with the big WC... funny thing is I have two of them one frayed from the other and one is fine and other is slightly retracted 🤔.. how should I deal with the bacteria bloom dont reall want to do a uv sterilizer

It SHOULD level its self out ime.  If not water change water change water change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/12/2019 at 5:26 PM, patback said:

It SHOULD level its self out ime.  If not water change water change water change. 

So it got a little worse but now it's all better 😅.. was starting to worry me bc it got worse each day for about 3 days... 😦

On a bright note I'm seeing less alage on the glass and the cyano seems better this week too. Maybe cleaning the sump was the ticket 😊

• Like 2