Innovative Marine Aquariums

Shrimpo's 75 gallon shallow tank

shrimpo

Coming back to the hobby after long break, I got this frag tank that I want to turn into reef critters tank.

Tank Dimensions:  60" x 24" x 12" starphire glass.

Eshopps sump RS300.

80 lbs Caribbean sand.

Aquaticlife led lights.

60 lbs live/dry rock mix.

20180728_212013.jpg

20180728_210149.jpg

20180728_211843.jpg

• Like 4
6 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I guess it makes sense, but I didn't even know that shallow tanks came this long.  What are your stocking plans with this tank? 

I want to keep variety of critters but not sure if they will get along, is there any fish, invertebrates compatibility chart you recommend?

This is what I would like to keep in this tank:

Macro algae, seahorses, Yasha goby/ pistol shrimp, dragonet, red fire shrimp, clown fish pair & RBTA.

Live Aquaria has a decent chart that's been referenced many times over:  https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/compatibility_chart.cfm

I understand that seahorses need very low flow because they're sucky swimmers.  That shouldn't be that big of an issue unless you start planning coral placement since many have higher flow requirements.  Another concern for sea horses is that some corals can/will sting them.  Also, they require a lower water temp and are prone to infection.  Because of these reasons, many seahorse go into a tank by themselves, or with pipefish exclusively due to similar care requirements.  

tldr:  seahorses are super cool but they're needy little critters. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Some smaller wrasses will work if the tank is covered.  A Dwarf Angel will, if you are willing to take the gamble on corals.  I recommend the Coral Beauty personally, lots of people have had success with them (myself included).  It's a bit of a stretch given the shallow depth, but since your tank offers plenty of length and width a One Spot Foxface could work.  

*EDIT* oh and BTW did you tell the fleabag to take a hike and that it isn't welcome in the tank? 😄

2 hours ago, Jesterrace said:

Some smaller wrasses will work if the tank is covered.  A Dwarf Angel will, if you are willing to take the gamble on corals.  I recommend the Coral Beauty personally, lots of people have had success with them (myself included).  It's a bit of a stretch given the shallow depth, but since your tank offers plenty of length and width a One Spot Foxface could work.  

*EDIT* oh and BTW did you tell the fleabag to take a hike and that it isn't welcome in the tank? 😄

If I have another taller tank I will definitely get a dwarf angel, right now I have 2x Clownfish, 2x Pajama Cardinals, 1x Springery Dottyback, 1x Royal Gramma basslet and 1x Firefish Dartfish.

The Fleabag was just helping check the level of the tank :)

Christopher Marks

This is a really awesome system you've built @shrimpo! 60" x 24" x 12" starphire glass, swoon 😍

Do you have an overhead shot you can share? It must be fun to watch from above! Do you think you'll introduce more macro algae into the display? I like the one you have so far.