inTank Media Baskets

Coral Compulsion 22k vs ABI Tuna Blue

musicsmaker

I never used the coral compulsion. Was too expensive imo for a par bulb. There are programmable fixtures for the same price.

Some of coral compulsions are dimmable, full spectrum, and even 35watts plus a good reputation and warranty.

I've used the Abi tuna blue, I liked it. Great bulb and well priced.

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I never used the coral compulsion. Was too expensive imo for a par bulb. There are programmable fixtures for the same price.

Some of coral compulsions are dimmable, full spectrum, and even 35watts plus a good reputation and warranty.

I've used the Abi tuna blue, I liked it. Great bulb and well priced.

Opposite here. Never used the abi. The cc full spectrum 24watt works. 

13 hours ago, musicsmaker said:

Clown79, what kind of tank and what were you keeping? 

I used it on my pico jar, my 5g reef, my 10g IM

I keep mostly lps but in my jar I had sps and lps.

In my 10g my birdsnest that had been removed started growing back. That was under a 12w. (24w better for 10g +)

I also ran my 15g with a cheap no name par38.

Many use the Abi.

Check out the pico jar contest- a lot of users.

I just removed the Abi for a Micmol because I wanted something programmable. Otherwise the Abi was great.

musicsmaker
12 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I used it on my pico jar, my 5g reef, my 10g IM

I keep mostly lps but in my jar I had sps and lps.

In my 10g my birdsnest that had been removed started growing back. That was under a 12w. (24w better for 10g +)

I also ran my 15g with a cheap no name par38.

Many use the Abi.

Check out the pico jar contest- a lot of users.

I just removed the Abi for a Micmol because I wanted something programmable. Otherwise the Abi was great.

I went ahead and ordered the ABI to see how that goes. Im planning to put it over a 5 gallon with zoas, shrooms, some blue sympodium and possibly some acans. Maybe a mini maxi carpet in there too.. 

musicsmaker

Got it last night. My first impression is that it is brighter than I expected, and that my corals really pop under it. Zero disappointment thus far. 

• 1 month later...

Nowadays for the price of a par38 and gooseneck you can get a simple on/off nanobox with v3.1 array for the same price which in my eyes is unbeatable. 

I'm glad you like the bulb so far though. I had the same bulb and personally,I highly disliked it. Very drab in my opinion,Zoa's lost color (I had several higj end morphs under it) and within a month nothing looked the same. Just my personal experience though. 

That being said,their 55w par38 18k made corals look amazing,one of yhe stores I shopped regularly at (Living Reef Orlando).

On 8/1/2018 at 11:13 PM, musicsmaker said:

Got it last night. My first impression is that it is brighter than I expected, and that my corals really pop under it. Zero disappointment thus far. 

I had lots of pop and growth under it. I only stopped using it because it was too bright in my living room.

Glad you are liking it.

• 2 months later...

I still have it on a little five gallon, and it's I'm still liking it. I threw a few random frags in there about two weeks ago, and for the most part I'm liking the results. A few of the montipora frags actually look more polyped out and are coloring up. I could imagine two of these on a 10 gallon could grow some corals pretty well. Throw in a white led stip for asthetics and call it a reef.