Cultivated Reef

Frogfish - feeding, monitoring, general care tips

Frag Factory

Frag Factory

Hey all,

I picked up a warty frogfish for my tank yesterday, while I have done a lot of research into the little guys I still have a couple of questions I am hoping I can get a bit of help with.

Feeding - how much?

So I read people say feed until the stomach looks full, but where is the stomach on these things? Am I looking at the correct spot here?

5c57c8e685bbeb7c0baca633f69a925d.png

I saw him eat 3 small feeder shrimp in the store before I got him and also some frozen brine, that was also the second time he has eaten in 2 days so I'm going to give him a couple of days before feeding again as I don't think he needs it yet. Sound good?...

I want to train him to eat shrimp from a net and eventually move him onto exclusively frozen food, I saw him eat frozen brine but I don't think they have much nutritional value right...

So what can I gutload my shrimp with? Should I pick up some formula 1 pellets and use these or is there a better solution.

I know these are probably noobie questions, but I'd rather get it sorted for peace of mind 😄

Thanks

7 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Hey all,

I picked up a warty frogfish for my tank yesterday, while I have done a lot of research into the little guys I still have a couple of questions I am hoping I can get a bit of help with.

Feeding - how much?

So I read people say feed until the stomach looks full, but where is the stomach on these things? Am I looking at the correct spot here?

5c57c8e685bbeb7c0baca633f69a925d.png

I saw him eat 3 small feeder shrimp in the store before I got him and also some frozen brine, that was also the second time he has eaten in 2 days so I'm going to give him a couple of days before feeding again as I don't think he needs it yet. Sound good?...

I want to train him to eat shrimp from a net and eventually move him onto exclusively frozen food, I saw him eat frozen brine but I don't think they have much nutritional value right...

So what can I gutload my shrimp with? Should I pick up some formula 1 pellets and use these or is there a better solution.

I know these are probably noobie questions, but I'd rather get it sorted for peace of mind 😄

Thanks

most people do not have longterm success with this fish.....even experienced reefers.  

good luck to you.

Ahh I remember seeing YouTube videos by a guy called Inappropriate Reefer who kept them... maybe check out his stuff. I think his frogfish may have died but I thought he had it for a while. 

Frag Factory
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

most people do not have longterm success with this fish.....even experienced reefers.  

good luck to you.

Yes, they seem to last about a year... Obviously I'm hoping I can get past that

• Like 1

Holy damsel eating frogfish!!! Sorry for the spoiler alert, but here’s one of Inappropriate Reefers videos I was referring to. I hope it’s okay to post here, if not let me know.

• Like 1
Frag Factory

Mochi was the reason I fell in love with these beasts and ultimately got into reefing again 😆

I've read about 60 pages of the frogfish files, and watched all the videos I could find. Just hoping someone knows their anatomy so I know when he's full.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Frag Factory said:

Mochi was the reason I fell in love with these beasts and ultimately got into reefing again 😆

I've read about 60 pages of the frogfish files, and watched all the videos I could find. Just hoping someone knows their anatomy so I know when he's full.

Ah gotcha!!! Mochi was so awesome!

StinkyBunny

My take on frogfish is they're probably loaded with parasites that are never dealt with. If you can get it on frozen foods, try using Praziquantel once a month for 3 months to make sure you get them all in the correct cycle to kill the parasites. Some are immune to the effects of Prazi at certain times during their life cycle. I've kept a few for a few months, then sold them off, mine were all treated as I said before I sold them.

• Like 2
Frag Factory
11 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

My take on frogfish is they're probably loaded with parasites that are never dealt with. If you can get it on frozen foods, try using Praziquantel once a month for 3 months to make sure you get them all in the correct cycle to kill the parasites. Some are immune to the effects of Prazi at certain times during their life cycle. I've kept a few for a few months, then sold them off, mine were all treated as I said before I sold them.

That is something I have considered. It's something I might do with Ike but also concerned that if I do this he will just have issues again from the food I'm using. I've had no luck with frozen yet.

At the moment I am feeding River Shrimp gut loaded with Formula 1 pellets/Krill/Nori. Trying to vary it a lot.

Also researching ways to quarantine these before feeding and treat them for parasites. Figured I need to nail this before treating the frogfish.

I've also noticed since switching to the AI prime, when it goes into rampdown mode and sunset begins the little guy seems to be actively seeking food. It seems to be bringing out a natural behavior in him so I've also switched feeding to this time.