ReefCleaners.org

Need new lighting (another which LED question)

Jono

So...my wife hasn't loved the power bill from me running the MH lights I have. We decided to look into some LED lights to lower that bill. I was looking for cheap options online (I know, cheap is going to be...cheap), but figured I'd come to the experts and see what you guys recommend. I have a 30 gallon long tank, 48" long, so it's not very deep at all. 

I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTSV24/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B00GFTSV24&linkCode=w61&imprToken=vCkrFwz3BVWJJqG-.9PaeA&slotNum=0&tag=aqualedlight-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PL12FM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1

Any experience with them? 

I don't need anything that can handle clams or anything, just some basic corals.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Jono said:

So...my wife hasn't loved the power bill from me running the MH lights I have. We decided to look into some LED lights to lower that bill. I was looking for cheap options online (I know, cheap is going to be...cheap), but figured I'd come to the experts and see what you guys recommend. I have a 30 gallon long tank, 48" long, so it's not very deep at all. 

I was looking at these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GFTSV24/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B00GFTSV24&linkCode=w61&imprToken=vCkrFwz3BVWJJqG-.9PaeA&slotNum=0&tag=aqualedlight-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074PL12FM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1

Any experience with them? 

I don't need anything that can handle clams or anything, just some basic corals.

i run the marine orbit pro on my 12 gallon long and it grows everything i need.......of course it is a very shallow tank. I like the light a lot and i also needed something with a very slim profile.

somewhere on their website it has a chart of par at different depths......i would check that. 

• Like 2

I like my cheap light fixtures as much as my Ai Prime. They have all done a great job.

I had removed birdsnest from my 10g tank and I guess with just a tiny bit left over I have had a 1 inch growth in a mnth under an Abi Tuna Blue 12w par38.

The Aquamaxx nemolight has been great and it is an affordable option.

I have recently started using the Micmol Aqua g3 - so far I am really liking it. Full spectrum and programmable. My corals are very happy too.

You would need 2 of these on a long tank but they are priced really well. There are 2 options available.

If you really want to save you could do 2 or 3 par38's.

I like the looks of the Nemolight. Thanks for the input. I actually really like the MHs, but have wanted to try some LEDs. After looking further into it, I'm not sure it's the lights that are causing the spike in our bill, I'm going to be calling the power company on monday...

but also figured I will never say no to buying new toys for the sake of "saving money" 🤣

1 hour ago, Jono said:

I like the looks of the Nemolight. Thanks for the input. I actually really like the MHs, but have wanted to try some LEDs. After looking further into it, I'm not sure it's the lights that are causing the spike in our bill, I'm going to be calling the power company on monday...

but also figured I will never say no to buying new toys for the sake of "saving money" 🤣

I know that LED lights definitely cost less in energy. I have 3 tanks with led lights and my bill is pretty much the same. AC really kicks up the bill though. 

Stupid Bill's. Lol. 

Well, I realize the MH will cause an increase, but not as much as what we were billed for. I'm looking between the Nemolight and the orbit right now. Both look intriguing. 

12 minutes ago, Jono said:

Well, I realize the MH will cause an increase, but not as much as what we were billed for. I'm looking between the Nemolight and the orbit right now. Both look intriguing. 

It’s summer. Maybe the AC is to blame for the increase. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

It’s summer. Maybe the AC is to blame for the increase. 

Yeah, but that doesn't let me buy new things for my aquarium...

We keep our house pretty warm. Checked the bill, they didn't actually read the meter. Been issues in this area before, they go off the "increased average" from previous bills. 

• Like 2
Justawhiteguy

I have a similar tank. Atm have a few primes but dont like the spotlighting. Going to try the Zues 200, read alot of good things about them. I like they have no fans and good range of leds and wifi. Look good too. Dont like having to buy off Alibaba but if they break still have the primes anyway. Seriously considered t5 (would only need 2 bulbs so 98 watts) but the heat and bulb change was a turn off. Also consider the Fluval 3.0 bluetooth version too but the Zues has MUCH better par. Light is due next week let me know if you want my opinion and pics. 

20180805_122001.jpg

On 8/4/2018 at 10:52 PM, Justawhiteguy said:

I have a similar tank. Atm have a few primes but dont like the spotlighting. Going to try the Zues 200, read alot of good things about them. I like they have no fans and good range of leds and wifi. Look good too. Dont like having to buy off Alibaba but if they break still have the primes anyway. Seriously considered t5 (would only need 2 bulbs so 98 watts) but the heat and bulb change was a turn off. Also consider the Fluval 3.0 bluetooth version too but the Zues has MUCH better par. Light is due next week let me know if you want my opinion and pics. 

20180805_122001.jpg

If you raised your ai's, you wouldn't have the spot lighting.

Is the only think about the primes that you dont like the spotlighting? 

I found a deal on 2 AI Prime HDs, don't know if that would be sufficient for my tank and for SPS and what not, but I'll do some research on them. 

2 hours ago, Jono said:

Is the only think about the primes that you dont like the spotlighting? 

I found a deal on 2 AI Prime HDs, don't know if that would be sufficient for my tank and for SPS and what not, but I'll do some research on them. 

Ai's have been a favoured light for years by many.

They are more than capable of growing sps.

I have read about shadowing with them, just want to make sure I don't buy something I hate later. They look nice though. I think 2 should be enough, but 3 would be better. I'm still looking at the Orbit IC Pro lol, I am just indecisive on all this. 

11 minutes ago, Jono said:

I have read about shadowing with them, just want to make sure I don't buy something I hate later. They look nice though. I think 2 should be enough, but 3 would be better. I'm still looking at the Orbit IC Pro lol, I am just indecisive on all this. 

For a long tank, you need 2.

Shadowing occurs when they are too close to the surface and when corals start growing.

Unfortunately when corals grow, it will happen regardless.

The Ai Primes are superior to the Current Orbit.

Another good option is Nanobox

I just sold a pair of AI Prime HD. I had them over my 40b (36" long). Even on that I felt that 3 would have been better. For the 48" tank I think you would be happier with at least 3 raised higher off the water. I think 2 will give a decent amount of spotlight and shadowing in that tank. I opted to upgrade to a set of AI Hydra 26 HD I got a great deal on.

21 minutes ago, lpsouth1978 said:

I just sold a pair of AI Prime HD. I had them over my 40b (36" long). Even on that I felt that 3 would have been better. For the 48" tank I think you would be happier with at least 3 raised higher off the water. I think 2 will give a decent amount of spotlight and shadowing in that tank. I opted to upgrade to a set of AI Hydra 26 HD I got a great deal on.

I have 1 on 24" tank with no shadowing.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
On 7/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, Clown79 said:

I know that LED lights definitely cost less in energy. I have 3 tanks with led lights and my bill is pretty much the same. AC really kicks up the bill though. 

Stupid Bill's. Lol. 

Don't you hate adulting lol I sure as hell do

30 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Don't you hate adulting lol I sure as hell do

Ya, adulting is no fun. I wish I had known it when I was young. Lol

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Clown79 said:

Ya, adulting is no fun. I wish I had known it when I was young. Lol

LOL right?! All those times when I was younger saying " I can't wait till I grow up so I can do(insert all fun adult stuff here)" F that lol. I wish I could take all those thoughts back lol

2 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

LOL right?! All those times when I was younger saying " I can't wait till I grow up so I can do(insert all fun adult stuff here)" F that lol. I wish I could take all those thoughts back lol

Ya no shit! 

I see all the kids today growing up way too fast and I feel so bad for them.

At least in my day we got to be kids.

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, Clown79 said:

Ya no shit! 

I see all the kids today growing up way too fast and I feel so bad for them.

At least in my day we got to be kids.

yeah very very true :-)

The one thing I'm worried about with the Primes are the braces on my tank. I feel like they are right where I would want to put the lights for an even spread, which I'm guessing would effect the lights some....but then again I guess that would effect any light I use. 

2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

I disagree. I got money and can do whatever I want. Just what I wanted when I was a kid. I kinda feel guilty when I whoop or yell at my kids, not enough to make me stop doing it though. I don’t want them to be pieces of shit. I like being grown, and best part is the older I get the more young people I can swear at and degrade. I think it’s great. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1