Innovative Marine Aquariums

AIO or system with sump underneath?

Daktari

Hi,

We have a red sea max nano and would like to go a bit bigger. We quicky replaced the original skimmer and recirc pump with a tunze 9001 skimmer and a eheim compact 1000 which are much more quiet than the original stuff. 

the purpose is to keep a reef with lps and sps and some small fish plus cuc (which we have already btw). Would like to give the fish a bit more space, have some more room to work in. A sump underneath is handy to put in eg cheato reactor in and or a biopellet reactor (or frags and unidentified critters and mother in law and stuff). 

We want to keep the volumes of water changes small (daily alk mg ca dosing with dosing pump and weekly wc). 

Can a system of 170 or 250 liter (about 40 to 60 G) with a sump underneath run as quiet as a AIO? 

Having the reefer 170 and 250 vs max e 170 and 250 in mind from red sea for instance, but not needing the skimmer or pump from the e series (which is more expensive). 

A pretty silent system is important for us.

Who has experience with both aio and smaller system with sump? 

Also looking for the sweet spot for low maintenance. 

IME sumps are always louder than AIO's.  However, even AIO's aren't dead silent and with the right overflow some sumps can be nearly as quiet.  If you are wanting to add reactors to your syatem I would probably go sump.  I personally prefer AIO's because I like a more simple setup without skimmers and reactors, so AIO works best for me.  

• 2 months later...

I just went from an innovative marine fusion 10 AIO to a 45g Shallow with a 25 gallon sump. This particular tank uses a durso style drain. It's not too loud in my opinion but with that said. Its way more noticeable than the 10g AIO. 

I have a Red Sea 170 Max.  I ran it as AIO for about 6 Months prior to changing to the Red Sea sump.  The sump was not loud but the noise was a gurgling from the down pipe which was annoying.  I looked at solutions on YouTube and made a pvc silencer cap as described in a number of videos, added it and turned the gate valve fully open.  The system is now just as quiet as it was when run as an AIO.  The skimmer - Curve 5 - is completely silent.

The most noise comes from inside the cabinet where the water enters the sump from the drain piping. My skimmer isn't loud at all. I actually love this skimmer. 

having a enclosed stand is a big part to noise reduction. As others have mentioned, there are plenty of ways to silence an overflow. New dc skimmers are usually silent as well as dc return pumps.

When I had bigger tanks and sumps I set up a herbie overflow which was silent but I still find I can hear return pumps and skimmers, I had the curve 5 and could hear it so maybe just depends what audible noise is and if you end up sitting right next to the tank or not. 

I got a AIO which is truly silent atm because there isn't a skimmer running to make noise or even fans on the light 😛 I use a gyre but its on such a low setting its not audible. 

I guess just keep in mind, equipment can make noise so really just depends what you use, some brands are noisier than others, the expensive stuff is generally quieter (return pumps especially). The type of overflow of your tank will make a huge difference. The more you cram in a sump, the more crap you have to potentially make noise. 

I personally did not find a sump less maintenance, even with filter socks I needed to clean it now and again and more equipment = more crap to clean.  

I think you can go either way, just a sump setup needs more thoughtful planning if your goal is quiet and low maintenance. Choose everything very carefully.