Pod Your Reef

Surface Jelly?

land shark

On 8/4/2018 at 11:18 AM, RayWhisperer said:

Any chance you can get a better picture of this? I’m not sure what it is, but I have a few guesses. Something clearer, and a bit more zoomed in. I know it’s asking a lot.

Sorry for the late reply but that coral is dead now. It literally started rtn the day after. I cut it up but it didn't help. That was the only coral with those and it is out of the tank now. I only have 3 astrea and a hermit plus coral.

Update: I still have the jelly, it comes back fast. Still losing coral. Still dipping for nudis to no avail. I don't know about this tank now.

If anyone here has a good microscope and knows what they are looking at I'd send them a sample if interested. I got plenty of the stuff:wacko:

Oh wow the mystery slime still lives?! 

Have you done some trial and error tests with the slime?  Maybe get a sample out and dose some peroxide in a container with it—see if there’s a reaction?

5 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Oh wow the mystery slime still lives?! 

Have you done some trial and error tests with the slime?  Maybe get a sample out and dose some peroxide in a container with it—see if there’s a reaction?

Not sure if it's significant but peroxide makes it bubble but it doesn't really break down, at least not yet.

I did some much needed maintenance on the tank. Cleaned my return which increased my flow a lot. It has been getting pretty slow from lack of messing with it. Mostly because It is upsetting that it is doing poorly. I got rid of a lot of detritus too. I also decided to reduce the whites. We will see how that goes.

I did some much needed maintenance on the tank.

Good.  That's where I'd start.

On 7/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, seabass said:
  • First, manual removal.  I'd siphon out as much as possible.  Maybe even submerge a cup (at an angle, but top up) to draw in the organic matter.  Replace with fresh saltwater.
  • I'd consider dosing Microbacter7.  Something is askew here.  I agree with Aurortpa, that there's a good chance it's bacterial.
  • A protein skimmer could be helpful.  If not, I'd certainly run activated carbon.
  • It's so thick that even mechanical filtration might be able to remove a significant portion.  Maybe a water clarifier might help.  Be careful so that the mechanical filter doesn't become clogged (change out or rinse it out frequently).
  • Water changes seem to be in order.

I think at this point you might be better off taking the few living things out of the tank, storing them in a heated bucket of clean saltwater, then draining and completely cleaning the tank and starting over.  You can take your bucket of clean water, throw your heater in it, sit the light on top (adjust accordingly for heat hazards of course) and toss a pump/powerhead in there for circulation.

The other option would be to take your coral and remaining livestock to a sitter tank who is stable and has a large water volume and can babysit your stuff for you, perhaps even an LFS?  Some of ours are cool if you get to know em.

Third option is trying to find a company who can actually test what that shit is.  Maybe a local university.  This route of course can either be easy and free, or really expensive lol.  

I agree with others it might be bacteria related, but what kind, or if its just the cast off, or what, I have no effin idea.  SOMETHING is definitely going on.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Is your water a little cloudy?

I had a bacterial bloom in my tank when I started my last tank and found lots of that jelly looking stuff all over especially on my Marine Pure Cubes.

I got myself a UV Sterilizer and put in the tank for a few days and it cleared it up a lot!

On 8/8/2018 at 3:08 PM, land shark said:

Not sure if it's significant but peroxide makes it bubble but it doesn't really break down, at least not yet.

I know this is old. but the peroxide bubbling should be a sign that it is at least organic.....not that we were doubting that.  Haha.