inTank Media Baskets

DIY AC70 Refugium Questions - Floss/Chemi-Pure/Chaeto/Live Rock?

Jon-Paul

Yesterday I got off work early and decided it was a good time to go check out a reputable LFS and was not let down. Fragbox in Toronto was amazing and their coral frag selection looked very healthy. Getting excited for when I finally start my tank! I also wrangled a powerhead/heater and a Salifert Phosphate test kit from them. Also picked up some supplies to mod my recently acquired AC70 filter into a refugium, and just have a few quick questions.

I subbed in an AC50 impeller to slow down to water flow, but I still have the AC70 impeller if I need more. I added two screen to separate the chaeto from the other media. One acts like partial dam at the AC70 overflow, and the other is at the beginning of the intake to the AC70. I used "GE 100% Silicone" to seal the screens in place (Is this safe?). I also installed a 12w ACKE Grow Light on the back and duct taped the whole body of the filter box to minimize light bleed during night hours.

As far as media for the refugium I am looking to run Intank's Poly Filter Floss, Chemi-Pure Blue, and Chaeto. I also plan to dose the Chaeto with a mix of pods after the cycle.

IMG_2708.thumb.JPG.436e6649530ac2b063b0e05b9612d2c5.JPGIMG_2699.thumb.JPG.b5668e2963feb3a731a098c0edcb2e99.JPG

IMG_2701.thumb.JPG.0770507ce3d28690ad37123880d336b4.JPGIMG_2707.thumb.JPG.8624e336e69ad373fe6db272b55604d1.JPG

My questions are:

1.) In the first chamber with the filter floss and chemipure should one come before the other (ie. water pass through floss then chemipure)? Or, can they stack on top of each other? Also, do I need to leave any room for the floss to allow water to pass, or should it almost act as a complete permeable membrane into the chaeto portion of the refugium?

2.) With regards to the chaeto portion, should I use some dry rock rubble in the bottom, or not? I have heard mixed views on this and don't know how to proceed. Could it negatively affect my tank? Is there much benefit? Again, I will be dosing pods.

3.) How often does one have to clean one of these? Is it like a monthly maintenance? I've read to change floss weekly to bi-weekly depending on bioload, and chemipure could last anywhere from one month to three from what I've read.

Thanks in advance! And let me know what you think of my refugium!

Five.five-six

If you can do it, I’d put the chemipure after the chaeto. Filter floss first.  Several of the things that chemipure removes are used by the chaeto. 

When the chaeto gets real tight, you remove about 1/2.  This interval will depend on nutrient levels and lighting cycle.   

Change filter floss when it gets dirty.  You want to remove uneaten food and detritus befor it brakes down.  Every other day to once a week.  

Change chemipure when things “don’t look just right” in the tank.  Could be 2 weeks to 3 month.    

@Five.five-six I don't think it will be possible to arrange the chemi-pure to come after the chaeto as the chaeto will basically be in last chamber of the overflow. My bioload will be some small in the beginning I don't think there will be a need for the chemipure in the early stages, however once I ramp up the bioload (shrimp/hermits/coral feedings) I'm sure it will come in handy.

I think I will run the light in the refugium for 10-12 hours on opposite schedule of the DT.

Still wondering about the rock rubble in the fuge!

Thanks for the reply though, much appreciated! 🍻

I'd skip Chemi-pure for now, and just go with filter floss and chaeto.

As for rock rubble, I dont think a handful of rubble will contribute much.

I've been running this exact setup for about 2-3 months, and it's been a very successful experiment. Same lights and aquaclear model, but no modifications to filter.

I run the lights 24 hours which has the chaeto growing wild. I cut the chaeto block in half every 2 or 3 weeks. That said, I think 10-12 hour schedule is perfect, as the chaeto against the light yellows. My refugium grows all kinds of funky algae, and I've let it go. Just change the filter floss every time I cut the chaeto. Green hair algae has disappeared from my tank and water quality has been great. Let me know if you have any other questions!