Cultivated Reef

IM Nuvo Lagoon 25- NEW Cornbred Blue Monster Tort

KW NANOREEF

KW NANOREEF

Hi! I am very new to these tank build threads so give me a break on a few things. Also, please give me tips on what to do with my equipment and the best way to keep my tank health and happy. 

25 gallon Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion

AI Prime HD

Aquatic Life Mini Internal Protien Skimmer

Mingdak Refugium Light

20 lbs of CaribSea Fiji Pink Live Sand

20 lbs of Rock (15lbs dry/5lbs live)

2x Jebao RW4

Please leave your suggestion to help me make this build even better. Thanks!

• Like 1
302ReeferDE

All comes down to what you want to keep in your tank...... but the equipment that u have will suit well with almost any type of  reef tank 

• Thanks 1

Agree with 305ReeferDE.

I currently run a 25g Lagoon and I love it.  You'll soon begin to buy more and more hardware for it.  I started with:

1 AI Prime HD

Vortech MP10

Heater

Cobalt 1200

Now I'm running:

2 AI Prime HD's (recently took down my Aquatic Life T5/LED Hybrid)

HOB 1.5 Skimmer

1/10 Chiller

3 Dose Doser

Rio 80H pump

Tunze ATO

and I've probably rescaped 3 times

https://www.instagram.com/larryslagoon/ here's my tank

I love my 25g lagoon. The IM's are very nice.

Everything you have sounds good.

The Ai is a great light. I have 1 over mine. Love the ease in controlling it and I like the moonlight feature.

Hydors are good powerheads. The 240's might be too little flow.

KW NANOREEF
11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I love my 25g lagoon. The IM's are very nice.

Everything you have sounds good.

The Ai is a great light. I have 1 over mine. Love the ease in controlling it and I like the moonlight feature.

Hydors are good powerheads. The 240's might be too little flow.

Thanks for the info! Do you think I need another power head or upgrade the return pump. If so, which one do you suggest?

42 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:
50 minutes ago, KW NANOREEF said:

Thanks for the info! Do you think I need another power head or upgrade the return pump. If so, which one do you suggest?

The  return is a good pump,i think it turns it over about 8x an hour. I would look at gettin a jebao of some kind for a power head I cant remember the newest ones name like an Sw2 or something. But if you have a bit more dough go for an MP10,i just started using one on my 25 and its a game changer. Look around on the hardware classifieds for some used!

you could either add a powerhead, or get a larger return pump. a lot of people are praising the IM mighty jet midsize pump for their return, or you could run two return pumps (one on each nozzle.) i run random flow generators on my return nozzles and they work great. they do cut your flow down pretty drastically though.

Nano Nano Boo Boo
1 hour ago, dvs1986 said:

you could either add a powerhead, or get a larger return pump. a lot of people are praising the IM mighty jet midsize pump for their return, or you could run two return pumps (one on each nozzle.) i run random flow generators on my return nozzles and they work great. they do cut your flow down pretty drastically though.

I have one of these on my Biocube and move it as well. Worst case upgrade the return pump and add the generator. Mine is great at keeping the surface moving. 

I use 1 aqamai kps on mine. I love it.

I had a jebao sw2 but they were not good. A lot of ppl have had issues with that model.

2 hydor 240 is 480 gph which is 19 times turnover.

Nano Nano Boo Boo
38 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I use 1 aqamai kps on mine. I love it.

I had a jebao sw2 but they were not good. A lot of ppl have had issues with that model.

2 hydor 240 is 480 gph which is 19 times turnover.

Rule of thumb is about 35 turnover correct?

KW NANOREEF

Just looked up the power of the return pump! Found out that it is 211gph. Upgrading to a 425 gph powerhead with a 240 as well. That means I will have a total of 856 gph going through this tank which is 34x turnover in the aquarium. Is this enough for medium flow SPS?

KW NANOREEF
28 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Soft and lps 20-30 turnover

Sps 50+ turnover

Seriously? I was just watching some YouTube videos and they were talking about how 30 turnover is perfect for acros and high flow SPS

That's what I have read through the yrs but everyone does things differently.

All I know is that my sps love a lot of flow and turbulent flow. 

It's often harder to please the sps and lps in a small tank because there needs are different for lighting and flow.

• Like 1

If it helps in my CPR Aquatic MRT which is 13g I have an MP10 on one side and an Icecap gyre 1k on the other both on random mode. My SPS and LPS both love it and it’s definitely a lot of flow. 🙂

KW NANOREEF
1 hour ago, nicholc2 said:

If it helps in my CPR Aquatic MRT which is 13g I have an MP10 on one side and an Icecap gyre 1k on the other both on random mode. My SPS and LPS both love it and it’s definitely a lot of flow. 🙂

That has to be a world record! Lol

2 hours ago, nicholc2 said:

If I run my flow any higher everything closes up except sps.

2 torches were destroyed from the flow and I have 1 aqamai on 65%.

8 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

If I run my flow any higher everything closes up except sps.

2 torches were destroyed from the flow and I have 1 aqamai on 65%.

I will say I don’t have any euphyllia in my tank.  So maybe that’s how I can get away with it. Plus it’s all indirect flow. 

1 hour ago, nicholc2 said:

I will say I don’t have any euphyllia in my tank.  So maybe that’s how I can get away with it. Plus it’s all indirect flow. 

Ya my acans seem to be always happy but euphyllia, blasto's, and rics seem to get easily peeved and react.

Another thing to add is even though those are both powerful neither are anywhere near full blast and the way they are positioned they are almost completely opposing forces so the actual in tank flow isn’t insane and creates a nice random flow. It’s cool watching different coral polyps change direction like that. 🙂