Top Shelf Aquatics

How is my cycle going?

NeonZoie

Hey everyone, this is my first saltwater tank ever and the first time ive cycled a tank in three years. I have an aqua japan 16 gallon that i added ammonia into about 4 days ago (the dr tims ammonia) on the second day i tested my water and it was at 2 ppm so i added some turbo start, the next day i tested and it was at .08 ppm and the next day it was at .04 ppm. I have not tested it today because i wanted to know if i should also test for nitrite now? Im use the red sea test kit and following the intrustions as closely as possible. 

Im just curious as to what my next steps are? Im not trying to rush things as i want this tank to be as stable as possible but when it comes time for livestock should i add some hardy corals first or fish? I plan to have a small cuc but that won't be til the tank is more established.

1 minute ago, NeonZoie said:

Wow thank you so much im finding this hobby to be very humbling because i had no idea i didn't have to test for nitrite 😂 

Well I meant @ReefGoat, he keeps beating me to posting that link that I showed him. What a dick, right?

now I realize you didn’t mean that in response to my post. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Haha its all good honestly this forum has some of the quickest responding people I've seen. Makes me feel good if i have any urgent problems i know somone can help. 

Looks like your cycle is going well.

You can test nitrite if you have the kit. It gives you an idea how the cycle is progressing. Testing for nitrates helps too.

• Like 1

I just finished testing my water tonight and ammonia is at 0ppm and nitrate is at 10 ppm! When should i do my first water change? Its only been 5 days since i added ammonia and turbostart. 

I would do a quick check of nitrites - if zeroed out like ammonia, then I would do add another 2ppm of ammonium and test both in 24 hours to see how well your biological filter handles it.

• Like 1
On 7/26/2018 at 7:37 AM, Daniel91 said:

I would do a quick check of nitrites - if zeroed out like ammonia, then I would do add another 2ppm of ammonium and test both in 24 hours to see how well your biological filter handles it.

I tested my ammonia and nitrite again and they're both at zero nitrate seems to be a little higher like somewhere between 10 and 20 now. An lfs told me that i shouldnt add anymore ammonia but im not sure why not?

Nano Nano Boo Boo

I agree, good idea to add more. If your tank is ready to roll then the ammonia will be zeroed out again, showing you that you’re in good shape. 

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo

I would think less would be fine. The goal is to ensure your biological filter is handling the ammonia. This is a fail safe way to be sure. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the tank has only been set up for about 7 days now though so even when i add more ammonia and check it in 24 hours i still want to wait a while longer to add any fish or corals. Maybe another 2 weeks or so. Until then, should i still add ammonia periodically to keep the bacteria fed? And i know my nitrates are just gonna climb from here so when should i do my first water change? 

Nano Nano Boo Boo

You’re doing the right thing taking it slow. I don’t think you need to add more after this, others may chime in. Let the tank continue cycling without water changes. Once you’re ready to add something or your nitrates are through the roof you can do a water change. 

Nano Nano Boo Boo

Nitrate isn’t toxic to fish like ammonia or nitrite. You can get away with higher nitrates with fish but I would aim for 10 or below as a good rule. Most will likely say closer to zero. Lots of ways to accomplish that however. Always ways to better your filtration. (Water changes, chaeto, protein skimmer, filter floss, etc. )

I agree with above - add 2ppm ammonium. Test ammonia and nitrite again 24 hours after adding. If zeroed out, you have officially cycled your tank and a prober biofilter has been established.

No need to test Nitrates, just assume they are high and do as big a water change as possible. Let’s say Nitrates is at 40ppm, if you do a 90% waterchange, in theory it should land you at 4ppm, which is a very great level for the first addition to your tank.

Again - take everything as slow as possible. Do not add too much right away. Start with a fish or even only a CUC if algae or diatoms are present.