Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this Favia a goner?

Yumarattler

Yumarattler

As the title asks, is this Favia a goner?  I bought the system 2 weeks ago and it looked the same when I bought it to right now. The previous owner said it used to be really colorful but started looking like this when his black box led went out and he put on a current USA orbit. I swapped out the orbit light for a hydra 26 and after a week it looks the same. Obviously I am not expecting a big change in a week but something. Do you think it will come back? It was pretty white but is slightly brown now. 

2D298DBF-D70F-42C1-A121-658E19BE808C.jpeg

DFA946C0-A4F4-48B0-8757-D74C04CB50CE.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Yumarattler said:

As the title asks, is this Favia a goner?  I bought the system 2 weeks ago and it looked the same when I bought it to right now. The previous owner said it used to be really colorful but started looking like this when his black box led went out and he put on a current USA orbit. I swapped out the orbit light for a hydra 26 and after a week it looks the same. Obviously I am not expecting a big change in a week but something. Do you think it will come back? It was pretty white but is slightly brown now. 

2D298DBF-D70F-42C1-A121-658E19BE808C.jpeg

DFA946C0-A4F4-48B0-8757-D74C04CB50CE.jpeg

I don’t know. It’s hard to bring stuff back. I had a situation last summer where my tank got crazy hot. Over 90F. The one favia I had bleached out. It seemed to keep its flesh so I figured there was still something living but I trashed it cause I didn’t wanna hassle with it. 

Dramatic changes in lighting are always dangerous.

The stress on corals is even worse in a very low nutrient system – how are your phosphate and nitrate levels? Zero?  Recovery is very unlikely in a very low nutrient system.

Find out which black box system he had and do some googling around to find out what par or lux reading this would be likely from that based on the Settings he had.

And then compare those with actual measurements from the light you have on there now.

It's possible you will require the current USA light and your current light because what you have is probably not as bright as the black box which had strong lenses as well as power more than likely.

You should be able to get your current levels to roughly match the levels the black box was putting out.

the camaro show

Favias can darken or lighten more then people thing with LightIng, I have a Davis from wwc that used to be a light green with yellow under a black box and I got a new radion xr15 gen4 snd it’s now dark green with more orange I think it’s more with spectrum then par

I would dip it too gotta make sure there’s no pests messing with it

Mine came back from REALLY bad shape.  I had let the tank go to hell.  Now that I'm being diligent it's back to full strength and looking better than ever.  They are tough.  Just keep things consistent and hopefully it'll come back.  Like said above, looks like it's bleached so if you can reduce the light intensity for a week or 2 and slowing increase it that should help.

Yumarattler

I just switched to the AI Hydra 26 and started out at 30% peak a week ago and raised the peak by 4% this week and will continue to do so while acclimating the corals to the new light. I need to get a phosphate tester and check it. The tank cake with a good amount of GHA ok the lower rocks so I would assume the phosphates are elevated or not due to the algae. I will report back a little later today on the nitrates.