Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

HELP! Putty side effects?

Aurortpa

So I was trying to aquascape some rock today and in the process knocked over 3 corals, another rock, and glued my fingers together. Moreover, I was frustrated I had to remove more corals than anticipated, in order to try to aquascape. Needless to say I ran out of energy hours later despite my efforts. I was sweaty and stiff, bending myself in odd positions to try to see to glue things and pretty unintentionally high from the glue itself tbh. I pretty much ended things with putting all the frags, even the new miami orchid and gomezi frag i got today, on a substrate rock and covered with a coke bottle shield (otherwise urchin might come along).  I didn’t want to make sloppy mistakes, so here I stare at hundreds of dollars in a coke bottle. 🙄

I had stayed away from putty as I hear it makes skimmers go bonkers.  Yet I am pretty much over seeing any glue tomorrow if I can help it.  If I get putty, how long should my skimmer go crazy. Will adding carbon help reduce water chemistry impact?  Anybody have any ill experiences with putty or was it just temporary—how long? 

Happen to have been looking at the same thing a few minutes ago. Says to turn off skimmer for 36 hours after use. 

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

In the past when using putty I have left the skimmer on but removed the collection cup to aerate the water. If the putty is overworked, the tank can become cloudy. I believe this is just talc but can reduce the oxygen levels in the water. 

• Thanks 1
MainelyReefer

I don't use the putty ever since it made my pygmy white spotted filefish die, when I first started reefing rather than superglue the putty was my go to methodology of affixing a coral, except my filefish would act like he had swim bladder issues moments after adding the putty, and then he would mellow out by the next day.  One day I puttied up a lot of corals and he just went bonkers and died.  Never seen anything like it again and haven't used that gross putty either.  Completely unscientific I know but it's definitely something you should keep an eye on

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Why is the glue giving you so much trouble? Which type are you using? I use the Loctite gel from the Dollar Store. I've never had a problem with it. The main reason I like it is because it holds tight. But not so tight that you can't remove them and re-scape if your heart desires. You just pop the coral right off. I have had the fingers glued together incident happen recently though......Like a week ago lol. 

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

I use normal glue which contains cyanoacrylate. It sticks fast so you have to glue your frags on your desired spot (on the rock) fairly quickly. I use normal, transparent, plastic gloves while I work and haven't had any problems. The gloves are also very thin, so I get full dexterity of my fingers. What type of glue did you use? I heard people use epoxy putty to stick rocks together to form structures like arches, but I personally have never used it. 

• Like 1

I like the aquastik epoxy, it doesn't make a mess in the tank like some other brands.

My favourite has been reef welder- totally different type of epoxy

I use typical dollar store crazy glue as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ReefGoat & @Snow_Phoenix, I either use a brand called ICB gel I think or ME.  It seems to start set before I even get it on the rock—like the surface of the glue blob becomes not sticky almost right away especially underwater.  Then I am forced to smear it with a paperclip or in awkward situations my finger lol.  I do like it for corals as said, I can remove it easily if the right pressure is applied but I want my rockwork more permanent.  I definitely don’t want an entire section of rock with corals on it knocked over.  

I am going to try the putty recommendations—will definitely use sparingly.  I got to get those corals back up today.

Snow_Phoenix
9 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

@ReefGoat & @Snow_Phoenix, I either use a brand called ICB gel I think or ME.  It seems to start set before I even get it on the rock—like the surface of the glue blob becomes not sticky almost right away especially underwater.  Then I am forced to smear it with a paperclip or in awkward situations my finger lol.  I do like it for corals as said, I can remove it easily if the right pressure is applied but I want my rockwork more permanent.  I definitely don’t want an entire section of rock with corals on it knocked over.  

I am going to try the putty recommendations—will definitely use sparingly.  I got to get those corals back up today.

I understand - I used to use a cheaper brand of glue, but the glue hardens instantly it touches the water, so I couldn't *stick* anything on the rocks. BSI is supposed to be good and strong - it's offered on sale at my LFS. You can try the epoxy - hope you can stick everything down this time. Use gloves at all times. Even thin plastic gloves are better than no gloves.