SaltCritters.com

P-139 First Contact ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿš€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿš€

xcom

11 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Nice aquascape!

I have to give credit to jestersix. He helped me execute what I had in mind.ย ๐Ÿ‘ฝ

2 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I can't wait to see what you create with this one @xcom!ย 

Me too hahahaย 

3 hours ago, specore said:

Very cool!ย  I think your work here is doneย ๐Ÿ˜‹

Until the cycling completed!

• Like 2

I will do a proper write up for the concept Iโ€™m doing with this tank soon. In the mean time, Iโ€™m confused about the Dr Timโ€™s fishless cyling method with his bottled bacteria. Iโ€™ve never cycled my tank this way so it is new to me.

ย 

I followed the instruction of adding the bacteriaย and ammonia drops (according to my tank size). Waitedย 24 hrs, measured ammonia which was around 2ppm (awesome) and zeroย nitrite. Per instruction, I added half dosage of ammonia.ย 

ย 

Day 2, I measured ammonia which is now around 4-5ppm (+), nitrite still at 0. I added half dosage of ammonia.ย 

ย 

Day 3, measured ammonia is at 4ppm-8ppm (colors are too similar between those values), now I have a reading of nitrite at 0.25.

ย 

My question is: Do I keep adding low dosage of ammonia?!! Until nitrite get up to 1-2ppm and start declining?

ย 

the instruction doesnโ€™t say anything about keep adding ammonia after the second day....

ย 

Any expert with this method?ย 

ย 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 7:28 PM, xcom said:

I will do a proper write up for the concept Iโ€™m doing with this tank soon. In the mean time, Iโ€™m confused about the Dr Timโ€™s fishless cyling method with his bottled bacteria. Iโ€™ve never cycled my tank this way so it is new to me.

ย 

I followed the instruction of adding the bacteriaย and ammonia drops (according to my tank size). Waitedย 24 hrs, measured ammonia which was around 2ppm (awesome) and zeroย nitrite. Per instruction, I added half dosage of ammonia.ย 

ย 

Day 2, I measured ammonia which is now around 4-5ppm (+), nitrite still at 0. I added half dosage of ammonia.ย 

ย 

Day 3, measured ammonia is at 4ppm-8ppm (colors are too similar between those values), now I have a reading of nitrite at 0.25.

ย 

My question is: Do I keep adding low dosage of ammonia?!! Until nitrite get up to 1-2ppm and start declining?

ย 

the instruction doesnโ€™t say anything about keep adding ammonia after the second day....

ย 

Any expert with this method?ย 

ย 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-microbiology-of-reef-tank-cycling.214618/

• 5 months later...

I guess itโ€™s time to update this build.

ย 

After the tank was cycled, the tank went through a โ€œfuzzy white/brown slimeโ€ period. For people who encountered the same problem using real reef rocks/artificial rocks,ย this is common due to the fact that these rocks are not as porous. My parameters were normal, my tank still had to go through this. Yikes....

ย 

People (who tank suffered from the same issue)ย was back and forth between bacteria and algae. After researching, I think mine wasย calothrixย (cyano strain). It can beย confused this with dino but definitely easierย to get rid off.ย 

ย 

My recipe:

- 75-80% water changeย 

- Marinepure balls in my sump (I have no skimmer at this point)

- for 25G: 2 Turbo, 8 Astrea, 1 Fighting Conch, 3 Nassarius. (I find a combo of 10-12 Snails per 20-25G works best)

- remove felt filter sock (I washed and reusedย them) and replace with a mesh socks. This way I can remove and quickly rinse under the sink.

ย 

Ugly fuzzy thing was gone in a week.

ย 

ย 

BF0C18D5-20CF-44FB-A4DA-DC5912A8ACD8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Wow, your nano reef is looking great @xcom! Glad to hear you got itย through the ugly phase without too much trouble. This is such a cool aquascape to place coral on, looks like your collection has been growing! Keep up the good work ๐Ÿ‘

1 hour ago, Christopher Marks said:

Wow, your nano reef is looking great @xcom! Glad to hear you got itย through the ugly phase without too much trouble. This is such a cool aquascape to place coral on, looks like your collection has been growing! Keep up the good work ๐Ÿ‘

Thanks! It will primarily encrusting monti, Porites and cyphastrea. I need to use a better equipment to take pics instead of my crappy iPhone 6 ๐Ÿ˜‚ย 

• Like 1

A little hard to capture these little guys on an iPhone but received this wonderful specimen of Christmas worm cyphastrea rock with filter feeding hermit carbs living inside.

ย 

Iโ€™ve been feeding the tank heavy with mixtureย of fish food, reef food, reef chilies andย live phytoplankton everyday. So far no algae outbreak, no cyano etc.

ย 

Tank currently houses 5 fishes: 3 trimma Cana, 2 red neon eviota gobies. Iโ€™m on the hunt for small trimma species but will see.

ย 

80F56E04-C191-40CA-A24C-920DAF01680B.thumb.jpeg.6eb29a1404e258e01fafe5533cd97441.jpeg

• Like 2