Innovative Marine Aquariums

Calling all sea cucumber owners

josh0013

After much research, I found out I have a Yellow Sea cucumber about half an inch long that hitchhiked into my tank.  

Hes been on the substrate all evening and has his filter feeding tentacle things out (sorry, not sure what to call them).  

I just have a few questions that I haven’t been able to find online.  He hasn’t moved from this spot (it’s a high flow area), he does close up and move a small bit when something gets near him, and he seems to be pretty content.  

Can he be handled by hand?  If I wanted to move him to a rock or around the tank, can I and how?  Will he move on his own to a safer spot eventually?  My tank is 6 months old so should I feed him phytoplankton?  My fish leave him alone but should I worry about larger crabs/snails or my emerald?

I ask about moving him because I’m changing substrate out ever so slowly with each water change and don’t want to hurt him.  These guys are really neat.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I wouldn't move it. It will go where it wants.

They are filter feeders so zooplankton, phyto is its food source.

They are poisonous when stressed or when they die.

https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/715/?pcatid=715

Here is some info on them.^

Thanks... I’m aware of all of that information.  Have you had one before and did you move it?  Would a net or hand be ok?  This’ll be the only time I move him.  The high flow is causing him to almost roll over on the substrate at time.

2 minutes ago, josh0013 said:

Thanks... I’m aware of all of that information.  Have you had one before and did you move it?  Would a net or hand be ok?  This’ll be the only time I move him.  The high flow is causing him to almost roll over on the substrate at time.

No I don' have one, I stay away from them.

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

I’ve had them in the past. They are great animals. 

You can can move it by hand. Just be gentle and delicate. It will just move itself to another location of high flow.

I don’t know why you’re changing out the sandbed on such a young system. Not only will you potentially set back your tank. You’ll be giving the cucumber lower odds of survival. Since the food they benefit the most from will be naturally produced in a healthy, established tank. Phyto won’t do it much good. I’m sure they use it to some limited extent. However, they do best on tiny zooplankton and bacterioplankton. Phyto will feed zooplankton in the tank, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Ray said you can move em.  I've picked em up with my hands before, you just have to be careful on that species, especially since its small.  Cucs are actually pretty sturdy in general but you don't want to stress it out since its a poison risk.

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2018 at 6:56 AM, josh0013 said:

Anyone else with hands on experience?  

i got a hitchhiking cuke. has gotten really big (like 4 inches). used to be tiny. seems to eat detritus. called him squishy. seems to be doing well on no special care in my 120L reef (90L display)