Cultivated Reef

Which RODI unit do you use?

Nano Nano Boo Boo

+1 to the Bulk Reef Supply 4 stage unit.

I also used to use a Spectrapure 90gpd unit and didn't see much difference between it and the BRS (besides being twice the cost).

I might catch some flak for this but I use the  Aquatic Life RO Buddie with the DI unit on it making it a four stage.  For my city water I get 0 TDS so ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Spectrapure for the win.................:lol: I had a BRS one years ago and it worked great also......I just like the Spectrapure stuff.....there name says it all :wink: I also run a booster pump on mine.  I love the ATO from them also.............

5 minutes ago, Reaperxvii said:

I might catch some flak for this but I use the  Aquatic Life RO Buddie with the DI unit on it making it a four stage.  For my city water I get 0 TDS so ?‍♂️

Many people use the ro buddy.

The only thing to consider with these types of units is you can't use any media but the ro buddy cartridges.

Otherwise people have good experiences with it.

What's important when picking a unit is original water source.

Is it hard water, high tds, treated with chlorine, chloramines or both. This determines how many stages and what filters you will need to use

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Many people use the ro buddy.

The only thing to consider with these types of units is you can't use any media but the ro buddy cartridges.

Otherwise people have good experiences with it.

What's important when picking a unit is original water source.

Is it hard water, high tds, treated with chlorine, chloramines or both. This determines how many stages and what filters you will need to use

Not exactly sure what all is in my water but out of tap its around 180 TDS 😄

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Reaperxvii said:

Yep I get the same shit here............it sucks but in the end I am at 0........

I wish my tds were so low!

During the summer it has been between 320-350.

During the winter it was between 370-450

It's hard water and treated with both chlorine and chloramine...I miss living in Toronto for just the better water. lol.

5 hours ago, Reaperxvii said:

That's OK; but for me, it's the higher cost of operation that would make me choose something else.

The refurbished SpectaPure was a great deal when they were available.  Now, I'd probably just get a BRS and buy SpectraPure replacement filters when the time came to replace them.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
12 hours ago, Reaperxvii said:

Lol no flak here I have the same one and I love it.

DSFIRSTSLTWATER

I also only have a 20 gallon tank so I only make about 5 gallons a week maybe more depending on how much fresh ro is needed for top offs

I went and bought a 44 gallon brute I just keep full of filtered water then mix the salt in 5 gallon buckets (I'm wanting to fix that and mix about 20ish gallons though as my system volume is around 60ish) only downside is the brute is downstairs and the tank is upstairs 😭

lpsouth1978
13 hours ago, Reaperxvii said:

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I wish my tds were so low!

During the summer it has been between 320-350.

During the winter it was between 370-450

It's hard water and treated with both chlorine and chloramine...I miss living in Toronto for just the better water. lol.

You both have it easy. 🙂

Most days my tap water (City water) is at 700+. On a good day I have seen it as low as 580. 

I use a 4 stage system that I got on amazon and have been very happy with it so far. I added an Aquatec booster pump and BRS Dual DI to it. After the membrane my TDS is about 35 and the DI has to handle the remainder. It looks like I will be replacing the DI resin roughly every 6-8 weeks. It is expensive, but the only way to get the water I need.

Nano Nano Boo Boo
11 minutes ago, Sancho said:

The lawnman has a BRS one for sale $90 shipped

Who is the lawnman? I’ll take it. 

The actual brand unit really isn’t important. Most made in China and re-branded. It’s what you put in the unit that matters and I’d use sprectrapure filters and di resin for sure. With the exception of the sediment filters buy those in bulk on amazon or eBay much cheaper than spectrapure. 

This is is a hell a deal 

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmosis-Aquarium-System-Manual/dp/B01HOJ55PO?crid=12V7XYCXA2556&keywords=rodi+system&qid=1532289816&sprefix=rodi+&sr=8-45&ref=mp_s_a_1_45

6 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Who is the lawnman? I’ll take it. 

@Lawnman

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
On 7/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Sancho said:

The actual brand unit really isn’t important. Most made in China and re-branded. It’s what you put in the unit that matters and I’d use sprectrapure filters and di resin for sure. With the exception of the sediment filters buy those in bulk on amazon or eBay much cheaper than spectrapure. 

This is is a hell a deal 

https://www.amazon.com/Reverse-Osmosis-Aquarium-System-Manual/dp/B01HOJ55PO?crid=12V7XYCXA2556&keywords=rodi+system&qid=1532289816&sprefix=rodi+&sr=8-45&ref=mp_s_a_1_45

@Lawnman

Can all of these filters be purchased on amazon? 

2 hours ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

Can all of these filters be purchased on amazon? 

Yep. Spectrapure is available on amazon and you get free shipping. It’s actually cheaper than buying direct from spectrapure.