SaltCritters.com

My fish keep dying

JennyRS

Just took out every piece of rock to inspect them but not the bottom ones as to not disturb the sandbed, and took a look at the equipment and all the cables look good to me. No cracks that I can see either. Gonna stare at the tank for a while tonight with a little flashlight.

2 minutes ago, JennyRS said:

Just took out every piece of rock to inspect them but not the bottom ones as to not disturb the sandbed, and took a look at the equipment and all the cables look good to me. No cracks that I can see either. Gonna stare at the tank for a while tonight with a little flashlight.

I just wanted to see if anything major was done that might be a possibility that we have missed. 

Something like regenerating purigen with bleach. 

Trying to think of all possibilities

Yes no major changes except for filter media. I've actually just noticed that the temp has reached 79 tonight, but it was at 77 during the day. I know this sounds like a dumb question but is that too much of a change from day to night?

2 minutes ago, JennyRS said:

Yes no major changes except for filter media. I've actually just noticed that the temp has reached 79 tonight, but it was at 77 during the day. I know this sounds like a dumb question but is that too much of a change from day to night?

Not really. 

If it went from 77 to 82 I'd say it's big fluctuation

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not really. 

Okay I will check my ph In the morning and post an update. Cant find the voltmeter so I'll have to test that tomorrow as well. Fingers crossed I find a solution to my problem.

Ah, so you didn’t remove all the rock to inspect....so there could possibly be a predator? Or even one that was hiding in the nooks and crannies of the rock you did inspect. Did the fish have any signs of injury when you found them? And you said the other four clownfish that died also died at night, right? No signs of disease or injury? 

Do you have anything on a timer that only happens at night? Could it be a type of food you don’t feed all the time? 

17 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Ah, so you didn’t remove all the rock to inspect....so there could possibly be a predator? Or even one that was hiding in the nooks and crannies of the rock you did inspect. Did the fish have any signs of injury when you found them? And you said the other four clownfish that died also died at night, right? No signs of disease or injury? 

I didnt want to take the rocks that were in the sandbed (only 2) because if I did that I may cause a spike in nitrites or ammonia from disturbing it but after spending some time watching the tank at night I'm not seeing anything I dont like. I only feed the fish during the day, I barely dose anything and I feed reef roids once a week. As for the previous clowns yes they all died overnight and didnt show any signs of predation or sickness that I could tell.

6 minutes ago, JennyRS said:

I didnt want to take the rocks that were in the sandbed (only 2) because if I did that I may cause a spike in nitrites or ammonia from disturbing it but after spending some time watching the tank at night I'm not seeing anything I dont like. I only feed the fish during the day, I barely dose anything and I feed reef roids once a week. As for the previous clowns yes they all died overnight and didnt show any signs of predation or sickness that I could tell.

So sad, and bizarre. Well I guess I would test for stray currents, check pH, keep an eye on your temp, make sure you don’t have any spoiled fish food, avoid getting new fish for a while in case it is a parasite/disease... Did the deaths coincide with water change day at all? Any chance there’s something in the water supply, like chemicals from your water treatment facility? I’m assuming the clowns have been your only fish?

58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Not really. 

Welcome to my tank lol. 

57 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

Stop buying fish. 

Stained the undies giggling at this. 

15 minutes ago, banasophia said:

So sad, and bizarre. Well I guess I would test for stray currents, check pH, keep an eye on your temp, make sure you don’t have any spoiled fish food, avoid getting new fish for a while in case it is a parasite/disease... Did the deaths coincide with water change day at all? Any chance there’s something in the water supply, like chemicals from your water treatment facility? I’m assuming the clowns have been your only fish?

Yes, I agree amps in the tank will kill fish and us too. But why does voltage matter? I’m real curious and was hoping someone would chime in. 

• Haha 1
HarryPotter
8 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Welcome to my tank lol. 

Stained the undies giggling at this. 

It’s just the thread title- “My fish keep dying”. Lacks responsibility.  As far as I’m aware, critters don’t spontaneously combust. 

1 minute ago, HarryPotter said:

It’s just the thread title- “My fish keep dying”. Lacks responsibility.  As far as I’m aware, critters don’t spontaneously combust. 

Yes you would be correct, critters do not spontaneously combust- but this isnt my first rodeo. I've owned enough tanks in my time to know enough. that doesnt mean I know everything, but you have yet to add any helpful comments here. I have worked hard to keep this tank thriving and it has been up until now. My first pair of clowns that died I had for a year and a half and they were healthier than horses. 

My ph tested 7.7 this morning (I had to be at work for 8am), and the temp was back down to 77. 

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

7.7 is low, but not so low I would be alarmed about. However, there are no fish using more oxygen. Still, seems like a pretty reasonable swing. 

Im stumped. Without stray voltage, we’ll be right back to disease, or parasite. Which, is where I’m leaning towards now. 

okay so there is the possibility that my ph could be dropping low enough to adversely affect the fish, but there's no real way to tell if that could have been the cause without having any fish. I will be home after 3pm today so I will be able to test the voltage when I get home and have an answer for that then. Either way I will have to err on the side of caution and go fishless for 2 months.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Wouldn't it be great if there were test kits for parasites?

Yes would make my life so much easier 😓

1 hour ago, JennyRS said:

Yes would make my life so much easier 😓

I know.

Most of us have been through the dreaded fallow period.

I had 2 fish die mysteriously within a day of each other.

No predators, no visual signs of disease. I had them for 3 mnths. Still have no clue what the cause was.

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I know.

Most of us have been through the dreaded fallow period.

I had 2 fish die mysteriously within a day of each other.

No predators, no visual signs of disease. I had them for 3 mnths. Still have no clue what the cause was.

Yes it's very frustrating especially when its  continuous. I would have done anything to keep my last pair of clowns though.

Ok so theres no stray voltage. Some there from the pumps but nothing over 20 VAC so I'm going to let this one sit for a few months... maybe I'll get a shrimp to look at in the meantime... 

On 7/22/2018 at 2:27 PM, JennyRS said:

Yes it's very frustrating especially when its  continuous. I would have done anything to keep my last pair of clowns though.

If it's a parasite it would be continuous until it has no host to live off of.

Floundering_Around

Lost my first pair of clowns to ich and velvet. Didn't have anywhere to QT so that was on me. Had the tank fallow for nearly six months. My second pair of clowns is in the tank now after going through a month-long QT. As much as I hated waiting, I forced myself in order to guarantee the best chance for my babies.

While you wait, get more corals 😉 or some other inverts. Hope your tank gets sorted out