inTank Media Baskets

Is was a possible spider. Now appears to be a crab :| - better photo

Soneca-II

Hi,

I was trying to check where were my 2 new hermit's after watching a late movie ( the room was very dark ) using just the cell phone light. I saw the strangest thing standing in the front of a hole in the rock. The hole has +- 0.5cm to 0.7cm i suppose.

In the beginning it was completely out but i was not focusing correctly and just saw a blur. Just spent some time with a red light app in the cell and checking it if would come out but this was the most i managed to get. Photo is from a not so good cell phone. For size comparison there's  also  a small star.

Is this a spider? If so how can i catch her? ( i would suppose to tear down and force it out 😞 but i have two coral frag's there 😞

possibleSpider.png

Tried again and managed to see it outside and it appeared to be a crab. Photo was a little late and it was already a bit in the hole :|.

What a twist... I need to get to bed to do a lot of km's tomorrow :(. Just searched the web and there are sooo many possibilities :(.

If someone has some clue if it's good or bad please advise 😞

possibleCrab.png

57 minutes ago, Soneca-II said:

Tried again and managed to see it outside and it appeared to be a crab. Photo was a little late and it was already a bit in the hole :|.

What a twist... I need to get to bed to do a lot of km's tomorrow :(. Just searched the web and there are sooo many possibilities :(.

If someone has some clue if it's good or bad please advise 😞

possibleCrab.png

Its cute...... 🤔 I’d let it stay.  I have no idea if it’s bad or not though. 

When crabs are really tiny they are usually safe, but generally become more and more unsafe as they grow.  If you can't get it out easily then just keep an eye on it and try to get a positive species ID.  Generally hairy legs are bad news bears as are sharp pointed claws.

• Like 2
RayWhisperer
5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Our sun is also a small star. 

It’s a yellow dwarf. They are small, but not the smallest. AFAIK, that award goes to brown dwarf stars. However, I’m not sure they are considered actual stars. They don’t have enough mass to really ignite. Of all the “burners” the smallest is a red dwarf.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RayWhisperer said:

It’s a yellow dwarf. They are small, but not the smallest. AFAIK, that award goes to brown dwarf stars. However, I’m not sure they are considered actual stars. They don’t have enough mass to really ignite. Of all the “burners” the smallest is a red dwarf.

It reads like you’re agreeing and arguing with me all at the same time. Well done 👍 

i was just trying to be a wise ass as the op used “small star” for a size comparison. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, 1891Bro said:

Our sun is also a small star. 

😅😂 i would had a huge cost for water and salt in that case. Universe largest tank 😂😂😂😂.

44 minutes ago, Soneca-II said:

😅😂 i would had a huge cost for water and salt in that case. Universe largest tank 😂😂😂😂.

MAYBE THE UNIVERSE IS ALREADY JUST A LARGE TANK?!?!?!

mind blown.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mndfreeze said:

When crabs are really tiny they are usually safe, but generally become more and more unsafe as they grow.  If you can't get it out easily then just keep an eye on it and try to get a positive species ID.  Generally hairy legs are bad news bears as are sharp pointed claws.

could be a Portunidae as far as i can recall it. As far as a search on the web could help.

i will try to get a better photo of it ☺

Hi,

Now with a somewhat better photo. The first ones he was a little translucid since it was still hardening the shell.

He seems somewhat yellow/orange and should have 1cm / 1.5 cm's.

Does this help the identification?

crab_v.png

1 hour ago, Soneca-II said:

Hi,

Now with a somewhat better photo. The first ones he was a little translucid since it was still hardening the shell.

He seems somewhat yellow/orange and should have 1cm / 1.5 cm's.

Does this help the identification?

crab_v.png

those pointy claws are bad news.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

It looks like a Teddy Bear crab to me. If it's fuzzy, that's what it is and it'll be fine for a while. Then it will start hunting fish, shrimp and other crabs.

• Like 1

Sorry to hijack, but I have also found a small brown spider-like crab. My friend says it’s an acro crab. It came in on a piece of macro from reef cleaners. He’s so cute and doesn’t appear to have any claws when I pulled him out, but the hairy legs scare me. He’s very tiny as of now so I let him be. He’s not very fast.... very slow walker/ crawler. 

2341942C-90A2-4957-8E21-4EB1A62EFA85.thumb.jpeg.3c620e9eec6a7ce65d6959cdf6a1e642.jpeg

RayWhisperer
4 hours ago, Zorya said:

Sorry to hijack, but I have also found a small brown spider-like crab. My friend says it’s an acro crab. It came in on a piece of macro from reef cleaners. He’s so cute and doesn’t appear to have any claws when I pulled him out, but the hairy legs scare me. He’s very tiny as of now so I let him be. He’s not very fast.... very slow walker/ crawler. 

2341942C-90A2-4957-8E21-4EB1A62EFA85.thumb.jpeg.3c620e9eec6a7ce65d6959cdf6a1e642.jpeg

4 hours ago, Zorya said:

Not an acro crab. Looks like it’s probably some species of decorator crab.

5 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Not an acro crab. Looks like it’s probably some species of decorator crab.

Thanks! I can’t get a good look at its claws because it keeps them tucked up under his body. He’s about 1/4” across including legs, so very tiny. 

• 1 month later...