Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pods galore!

NanoRox

Just wanted to show off my little pod farm.  It’s taken me some time but this thing is cranking out pods like nobody’s business. 

4A198924-AFF2-4707-889F-738870708ACE.jpeg

6A4EF1EE-651E-462D-A947-3F9D961400F0.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Thanks guys.  Yeah this is for my mandarin.  She is doing well now but I have to admit it was worrisome for awhile as the culture matured.  It crashed once because I had no idea what I was doing but now that I harvest the pods (siphoned a gallon of water through a sieve and return the water back to the culture) twice a week she is doing great.  Here is a pic of how they look after being collected.  there must be thousands here.  I wish you could see them all moving around...makes me itch watching them.  I used to strain the pods from my algae barn orders that supposedly had 3000+ pods and I didn’t see a fraction of this.  

EF06752D-9AD3-403C-9771-1D7E60A6E731.jpeg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bluecard said:

That is impressive. Do you have a write up on how you are doing it? How do you transfer the pods from the bin to the tank?

I don’t but I will probably write an article for the library.  It’s really not too hard.  

• Like 1

I'd be curious to know a bit more about it too! I've cultured pods before, but never really end up knowing the best way to get rid of the waste after the pods have eaten the phyto. It would be neat to fine tune the process a bit.

Thanks!

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

but never really end up knowing the best way to get rid of the waste after the pods have eaten the phyto. It would be neat to fine tune the process a bit.

I don't want to answer for Duane.  But for me, when I culture rotifers, I simply capture them with a plankton sieve, harvesting some and placing the rest in a clean container with a fresh phyto culture.  Then I just clean out the dirty container for the next round.  If I'm in a hurry and don't need to harvest any, I might simply pour the culture into the clean container, leaving most of the wastes (and a few rotifers) in the dirty container.  Then I just clean out the dirty container.

@hinnenkm, I'm also interested in Duane's protocol.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, seabass said:

I don't want to answer for Duane.  But for me, when I culture rotifers, I simply capture them with a plankton sieve, harvesting some and placing the rest in a clean container with a fresh phyto culture.  Then I just clean out the dirty container for the next round.  If I'm in a hurry and don't need to harvest any, I might simply pour the culture into the clean container (leaving most of the wastes).  Then I just clean out the dirty container.

Thanks much and it makes a lot of sense - just hadn't really thought about that part of the process (at all)!

• Like 1
19 hours ago, seabass said:

What species (or brand) of phyto are you using?

Actually none.  I used Spirulina powder.  I was feeding a homemade spirulina solution about every 3 days or until the water became clear-ish again (indicating the pods had eaten most of the food).  After about 2 months of this the algae seems to be holdings its own without supplementation.  Interestingly I do not have any issues with "problem" algae in the culture.  Just this bright green water and more pods than I know what to do with.  

• Wow 1
19 hours ago, seabass said:

I don't want to answer for Duane.  But for me, when I culture rotifers, I simply capture them with a plankton sieve, harvesting some and placing the rest in a clean container with a fresh phyto culture.  Then I just clean out the dirty container for the next round.  If I'm in a hurry and don't need to harvest any, I might simply pour the culture into the clean container, leaving most of the wastes (and a few rotifers) in the dirty container.  Then I just clean out the dirty container.

I also capture the pods using a plankton sieve.  I siphon about 1 gallon of the water in a gallon jug and then just pour it back into the culture through the sieve.  I do this every 3 days or so. Once a month I actually pour out one gallon of the water and replace with fresh saltwater.  I also occasionally siphon the waste from the bottom of the container.  Basically it is just a constant culture. I don't start anything over (and like I mentioned above I am not even having to feed phyto)...just make those periodic water changes.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, seabass said:

Good job!  Very interesting about the Spirulina.  It's actually a form of cyano.  Are you using standard salinity levels?

I am 1.026.  

• Like 1