Top Shelf Aquatics

Do I need a lid?

nterry

Hi everyone.  Taking the nano plunge.  I have a 6 gallon nanocube which was sitting on the shelf and still holds water.  I'd really like to get a fancy set of lights (nanobox tide or an ai prime), but the lid is a bit of an issue. I've been toying with the idea of taking it off, which is easy enough.  But I'm worried about jumpers.

My stock plan is to get a zoa garden.  I'd like to get a few nano gobies (green bar gobies, maybe one or two other gobies)

Thoughts?

nterry

Jumpers are always a concern and IME gobies are some of the more jumping prone fish.  No experience with the green bar, so maybe they are better.  

May be worth your while to reach out to Nanobox and see if their small retro will fit in your hood.  

• Like 1

I always worry about jumpers because any fish can do it, especially if spooked.

You can always make a mesh lid out of window framing. It's very easy and cheap but prevents you from finding fish on the floor.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've had a couple of jumpers in the past.  I also like a lid as it keeps evaporation down and reduces the need to top off if you don't have an ATO.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, Clown79 said:

I always worry about jumpers because any fish can do it, especially if spooked.

You can always make a mesh lid out of window framing. It's very easy and cheap but prevents you from finding fish on the floor.

This is what I did. I used mesh that was larger so it wouldn't block out as much light but still prevent some fish from jumping out.

IMG_20190113_194307_404.jpg

• Like 1