Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Replacing SW-4, Tunze 6020 and 6040 any good? Or other recommendations?

ajm83

Need to replace my Jebao SW-4 which keep running backwards.

These seem to fit the bill but I can't find many reviews on them.  Anyone got them?  If so, any problems? General comments?

Or got a better suggestion?

Thanks

I have the 6040, it is small quiet and very powerful for the size. I have it on a 20g at 30%. For the longevity I can't say, only have it for a couple of months. But it is tunze, so I am not to worry about it. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alexandre said:

I have the 6040, it is small quiet and very powerful for the size. I have it on a 20g at 30%. For the longevity I can't say, only have it for a couple of months. But it is tunze, so I am not to worry about it. 

Thanks alexandre 😎

May I ask how often you are cleaning it? 

The other issue (aside from running backwards) is that I'm having to clean the SW-4 every 3 weeks to keep them running. Otherwise they slow right down.

I also recommend the Aqamai KPS. Very tiny but powerful. Wave mode very good. Also has a very versatile mounting positions with the cup magnet.

I had some questions about the different functions (Sleep, Smooth, Constant, Random) on the app and called up Hydor. Spoke to someone in 2 minutes and they helped. Was great to have a live person to talk to for tech support.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MSunkin23 said:

I also recommend the Aqamai KPS. Very tiny but powerful. Wave mode very good. Also has a very versatile mounting positions with the cup magnet.

I had some questions about the different functions (Sleep, Smooth, Constant, Random) on the app and called up Hydor. Spoke to someone in 2 minutes and they helped. Was great to have a live person to talk to for tech support.

That's my only complaint. Not enough instructions on the settings.

I set up my own.

5 hours ago, ajm83 said:

Thanks alexandre 😎

May I ask how often you are cleaning it? 

The other issue (aside from running backwards) is that I'm having to clean the SW-4 every 3 weeks to keep them running. Otherwise they slow right down.

In 2 months, I didn't clean it and didn't notice any drop in power. But my aquarium is new and clean, no algae growing any where. So I guess that does help. But what I have reed is that the tunze pumps can go a long time without cleaning. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have picked up a 6040 now.  Initial impressions are that the power is really impressive.  Also it gives a very nice wide output that is great for surface rippling.

However above 30% it is pretty noisy, to the extent I had to come downstairs in the middle of the night and unplug it because it woke my wife up. 

It makes a very low pitched throbbing hum noise, wub-wub-wub-wub-wub.  Quite disappointing considering it has the blue silicone noise reduction thingies on it.  I'm thinking about trying to bodge some coarse foam under the magnet to isolate it from the tank glass if it doesn't settle down. 

Tunze are great pumps.  Have never had these newer models, but my experience with any other Tunze pumps has been nothing but positive.

20 hours ago, specore said:

Tunze are great pumps.  Have never had these newer models, but my experience with any other Tunze pumps has been nothing but positive.

No doubt it will be durable and reliable, just shame about the noise.

I have discovered this morning though that if I run it with only two of the four blue silicone springs in place it is a lot quieter.  Not sure how secure it'll be is the only problem, it's wobbling about a fair bit!

I'm thinking about buying another set of the springs and drilling a hole to allow them more flexibility, should give more sound damping but retain the security of using four to hold it to the magnet.

2 hours ago, ajm83 said:

No doubt it will be durable and reliable, just shame about the noise.

I have discovered this morning though that if I run it with only two of the four blue silicone springs in place it is a lot quieter.  Not sure how secure it'll be is the only problem, it's wobbling about a fair bit!

I'm thinking about buying another set of the springs and drilling a hole to allow them more flexibility, should give more sound damping but retain the security of using four to hold it to the magnet.

No doubt!  Doesn't seem like that should be happening. The Tunze pumps I owned in the past had rubber feet (similar to the small rubber dots on cabinet doors) on the magnets to keep the magnet from contacting the glass.  Is it possible you are missing something like these?

10 minutes ago, specore said:

No doubt!  Doesn't seem like that should be happening. The Tunze pumps I owned in the past had rubber feet (similar to the small rubber dots on cabinet doors) on the magnets to keep the magnet from contacting the glass.  Is it possible you are missing something like these?

Yeah I know what you mean about the 4 dots.

New Tunze stuff I've seen doesn't have the those, in fact there is a rubber seal which touches the glass instead. Part number 6020.507 if you want to see it.

I think the noise is normal for this unit,  I found a tonne of people moaning about the same humming sound. Shame I didn't see them before I bought it!

For example, these are from BRS:

NICK wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I wanted to like this product. The loud hum is unbearable.

Very loud. By Robert on 10/7/2017

ROBERT wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
I have a 6095 as the main power head in my tank and it's exceptionally quiet. I needed something small to supplement for a dead area in the aquarium. I decided to go with Tunze again so I could run them off of one controller in series. This nano stream has a very small footprint and blends in very well with my black background. I gave it such a low review because of its noise level. I can hear it from 8' away from the tank. It has a click every time ic cycles on and a loud hum while it's running.

Loud By Anthony on 4/8/2017

ANTHONY wouldn't recommend this product to a friend
Wide flow and good controllability, But it's quite noisey in wave mode turning on and off or pulsing. Even in the lowest setting it's loud. Not to happy with that considering it's 140 bucks and Jbo haven't somewhat similar controllability sleek for 60$ and are whisper quiet even on its highest setting.

26 minutes ago, ajm83 said:

Yeah I know what you mean about the 4 dots.

New Tunze stuff I've seen doesn't have the those, in fact there is a rubber seal which touches the glass instead. Part number 6020.507 if you want to see it.

I think the noise is normal for this unit,  I found a tonne of people moaning about the same humming sound. Shame I didn't see them before I bought it!

For example, these are from BRS:

That's interesting.  I see the rubber seal on the internal side, is there anything on the external magnet?

1 minute ago, specore said:

That's interesting.  I see the rubber seal on the internal side, is there anything on the external magnet?

I think it's the same as the in tank one, except blue in colour.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2018 at 9:07 AM, ajm83 said:

I have picked up a 6040 now.  Initial impressions are that the power is really impressive.  Also it gives a very nice wide output that is great for surface rippling.

However above 30% it is pretty noisy, to the extent I had to come downstairs in the middle of the night and unplug it because it woke my wife up. 

It makes a very low pitched throbbing hum noise, wub-wub-wub-wub-wub.  Quite disappointing considering it has the blue silicone noise reduction thingies on it.  I'm thinking about trying to bodge some coarse foam under the magnet to isolate it from the tank glass if it doesn't settle down. 

Noise from them is a complaint I have read about and on YouTube videos.

It was what deterred me from getting tunze 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Running with only 2 out of the 4 silicone springs attached means I can live with it.  It is still audible over everything else in the room though.

Having had so many failures from my Jebaos in a short period I couldn't stand to buy another wavemaker from them.  As I'm away for a few weeks over the summer, for now reliability takes precedence over silence. My better-half is pretty good at looking after the tank when I'm away but I think taking pumps to bits is going beyond the call of duty!

I use it on the pulse mode from the beginning. Just tried the wave OK mode and yes it is much louder. One thing I notice is when the cabinet door is open, it make much less noise. That make me think, is it the pump or the design of the cabinet, build like a drum. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Interesting, I’ve never had a jebao fail. I’ve had two RW4s for ~3 years, and also a gyre which has been really reliable. 

I think it's just luck of the draw.  I do still have one SW-4 and an RW-4 working flawlessly. 

Interestingly the sales blurb on FishStreet for the new OW10 (SW/RW4 replacement) specifically mentions an improvement to stop them running backwards, so maybe they've rectified that issue. 

40 minutes ago, alexandre said:

I use it on the pulse mode from the beginning. Just tried the wave OK mode and yes it is much louder. One thing I notice is when the cabinet door is open, it make much less noise. That make me think, is it the pump or the design of the cabinet, build like a drum. 

Yes, same here buddy, and also my floor is suspended wood which I think carries low frequency sounds very well throughout the building.  However I cannot change either of those things, and they are not an issue with my Jebao or Eheim pumps. 

22 hours ago, Clown79 said:

I forgot to say thanks for the AQAMAI KPS recommendation, they look like a great pump and I did try to find them, but couldn't get one locally so there would have been no chance of getting spares or warranty work done in a reasonable time frame.

1 hour ago, HarryPotter said:

Interesting, I’ve never had a jebao fail. I’ve had two RW4s for ~3 years, and also a gyre which has been really reliable. 

I had a WP-10 crap out in no time.  Also had RW-4 and RW-8 which ran like champs for 2+ years and have now even been handed down to other reefers from this forum.  

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, ajm83 said:

I think it's just luck of the draw.  I do still have one SW-4 and an RW-4 working flawlessly. 

Interestingly the sales blurb on FishStreet for the new OW10 (SW/RW4 replacement) specifically mentions an improvement to stop them running backwards, so maybe they've rectified that issue. 

Yes, same here buddy, and also my floor is suspended wood which I think carries low frequency sounds very well throughout the building.  However I cannot change either of those things, and they are not an issue with my Jebao or Eheim pumps. 

I forgot to say thanks for the AQAMAI KPS recommendation, they look like a great pump and I did try to find them, but couldn't get one locally so there would have been no chance of getting spares or warranty work done in a reasonable time frame.

I was maybe thinking if a shelf or some sound proof mat will reduce the "echo" from the cabinet. I have a red sea max nano cabinet, and apart the ATO réservoir, nothing in it. I was thinking it might be the problem. 

I don't know where you leave, but here it is pretty smooth to order online. I only had one problem with a new purchase. An Aqua Medic T Controller, it is working find. But the display is not straight. I email the shop with pictures of the unit. They wrote me back the next day saying a new one will be sent by Aqua Medic and once I receive it, to sent back the "faulty" one. 

40 minutes ago, specore said:

I had a WP-10 crap out in no time.  Also had RW-4 and RW-8 which ran like champs for 2+ years and have now even been handed down to other reefers from this forum.  

That the thing, quiet a few bad reviews about the RW series, but to be honest we are quicker to complain than to give good review on something who work as it should do. Like they said, you get what you pay for. For the price, the valu is there. And I guess they must sell quiet a lot of them. So for sure some must go wrong. Just my 2cents.

And for sure if I pay for a WP_10 and it goes to crap in no time, I will be seriously pissed off. 

2 hours ago, ajm83 said:

Running with only 2 out of the 4 silicone springs attached means I can live with it.  It is still audible over everything else in the room though.

Having had so many failures from my Jebaos in a short period I couldn't stand to buy another wavemaker from them.  As I'm away for a few weeks over the summer, for now reliability takes precedence over silence. My better-half is pretty good at looking after the tank when I'm away but I think taking pumps to bits is going beyond the call of duty!

Ya I had problems with the sw2 so I went with the aqamai and like other hydor products, it's great.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, sarcophyton said:

Are the KPS modes documented anywhere ?   Like what is "Smooth" mode ?  How is it different than "Constant" ?   Or is it more like a smooth version of "Wave" ?

Hey Sarco, I believe constant flow is one RPM consistently. I believe smooth mode slowly moves between the low and high setting of the interval (much slower than wave mode). I don't think there a difference between "constant" mode and "sleep" mode. I do use smooth mode in my tank and like it, provides some variety in the flow pattern in the tank.

Generally, I only use Smooth, Wave, and Sleep mode in my programs. I use 'Sleep' instead of 'constant' at night only because its easier to see when I have the tank in night mode with the purple color in the app.