SaltCritters.com

Acrylic sump question

Toxic enigma

Toxic enigma

So a few days ago the sump on my 29 gallon reef mysteriously got a big crack in the back wall. I had planned on building one out of acrylic down the road but now I need a new sump a bit sooner. So I was wondering if I could just use the thicker stuff sold at Home depot to build one about the size of a 10 gallon, or does it have to be cell cast?

• 1 month later...
roll_the_dice

Probably too late for you, but maybe it will help someone down the road.  For your purpose the main difference is how it machines.  If you are cutting it with a saw extruded has a tendency to melt and leave burrs....where cast cuts smoother.  The smoother the cut the easier to join/glue with Weldon #3.  If you have jagged cuts, it may leak unless you used Weldon 16 in conjunction with the 3....the weldon 16 would be used more like a silicone to fill any cracks or jagged places in the joint.

That is the simplified version.

So basically the weldon 3 would be used to form the joints, then I'm guessing allowed to cure overnight. Then weldon 16 would be used to form a bead along the inside of all the joints to form a seal. This sound about right? 

roll_the_dice

Weldon 3 is water thin...and will actually bond the acrylic.  Back when I used to work with acrylic daily, I could water test a sump within a few hours of bonding.  How I used to use weldon 3 (I made a proprietary blend) I used to use push pins to hold the wall up then lay the weldon 3 under it, then pull the pins so the acrylic lays on top of the flat sheet.  This will give you a clear joint with no bubbles.  Hard to explain...google weldon 3 gluing....should find a plethora of info.