Top Shelf Aquatics

Need more blue & purple corals

Aurortpa

My growing collection has some green, yellow, orange, and red but I’m in need of more blue or purple corals.

I know zoa come in these colors but am interested in other LPS, softies, and SPS...what do y’all have that’s blue or purple?

ED48B205-182E-4799-A075-7956A662B7E5.thumb.jpeg.aa833f287d93bf8eb0b5b1719cdd3a2f.jpeg

Nano Nano Boo Boo

I’ve some really cool Acans and Blastos that add some great color. Fun to watch their sweepers all day collecting food. Duncan’s were also a great addition to my tank. Fantastic corals to watch grow. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Nano Nano Boo Boo said:

I’ve some really cool Acans and Blastos that add some great color. Fun to watch their sweepers all day collecting food. Duncan’s were also a great addition to my tank. Fantastic corals to watch grow. 

I love blastos and duncans--do blastos come in blue or purple??  I have a red and metallic green one.

Remember though. Your lighting is going to have A LOT to do with how those corals look compared to those pretty edited pictures on those coral selling websites. I learned that the hard way. My Acans are beautiful don't get me wrong. But they had WAY more pop and color under the sellers lighting setup. 

• Like 2

Here are a few ideas that come to mind:

I feel like it's easy to get too much purple, but if that's what you're looking for, purple torches and hammers are great.  Garf Bonsai is a cool SPS with a nice dark purple skin.  Pocillipora also comes in a lighter purple.  

For Blue, I'd put the Oregon Blue Tort at the top of the list.  There's also a gorgeous blue tenuis, and if you have strong lights, the Hawkins Echinata is a cool teal color.  (If lights are weak it will turn an earthy green)  Acans come in great blues, but usually mixed with other colors.

• Thanks 1
Nano Nano Boo Boo
23 minutes ago, This guy is extra salty said:

70FC8337-16E5-41A4-9E91-45B01823FEE6.thumb.jpeg.e60e4b5c0838003acb2df83bf6670906.jpeg

myagi tort

3FC33696-1257-4ED1-BFCD-CAF44CB39C4C.thumb.jpeg.92fc37fe77ae3daf7d96668ef244ee14.jpeg

electric myagi tort

Really thinking about getting one of these myself. Any advise? Great looking coral. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sadie said:

Also remember when your coraline grows in, you will have purple all over!!

The coraline is trying to establish but hasnt taken off just yet. Not sure if my little tuxedo has a role with that. Lol

2 hours ago, fishkeepersaltnfresh said:

Purple Stylo

IMG-20171024-WA0008.jpg

I was going to post this too but I couldn't find a good pic of mine. 

Super easy to care for SPS and super cheap too.

• Like 1

Purple Duncans if you can find them.  Slower growing and a little more sensitive than green Duncans, but still easy.

UhCFSOj.jpg

Purple Stylo for sure, but if happy it will outgrow your tank.  Miami Orchid if you want to grow acros and are really ready to keep params steady.  It's a rugged coral with purple tips that are impossible to capture with a camera.  Body varies from purple brown to brown.  This is LED only so colors kind of goofy but in general are accurate.   

H4KXG1u.jpg

There is another stylo, the Orchid Stylo from Reef Gen.  Harder to find, slower growing, goofy purple and yellowish color.  

Under T5+LED

QTgXx6N.jpg

Under LED only, sorry out of focus, but Orchid on the right, purple on the left.  Looks better under LED IMO.

X4BIttf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
5 hours ago, sadie said:

Also remember when your coraline grows in, you will have purple all over!!

I would call it more of a disgusting pink that you can’t scrape off fast enough. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

I would call it more of a disgusting pink that you can’t scrape off fast enough. 

I LOVE coraline, but I wouldn't call it pink...mine is pretty purple...or it was in my old tank.

• Like 1