Innovative Marine Aquariums

Salinity Level Issue

Krish87

I noticed that my tank's salinity level has dropped below 1.024 (I usually have it at 1.025). In order to bring the level back up to the desired level, will top-offs with saltwater suffice? I have read that it has worked for folks but just wanted a second opinion before I do so.

Has anyone else faced a similar situation before, and tried topping off with saltwater instead of RO/DI water?

Hi Krish,

Should be fine to do as you mentioned. Just be careful what salinity water you add as to not overshoot your salinity.

Curious how you dropped - Did you do a water change with a lower salinity, or add too much RO/DI top-off water? Typically salinity would only go up if left alone as evaporation occurs.

Either way, what you suggested should work.

• Like 1
Just now, MSunkin23 said:

Hi Krish,

Should be fine to do as you mentioned. Just be careful what salinity water you add as to not overshoot your salinity.

Curious how you dropped - Did you do a water change with a lower salinity, or add too much RO/DI top-off water? Typically salinity would only go up if left alone as evaporation occurs.

Either way, what you suggested should work.

Thanks for confirming @MSunkin23. Yes, it dropped because of too much RO/DI water. 

Yep, topping with saltwater is a great way to slowly bring up salinity.  As water evaporates the salt is left behind, so when you top with saltwater you are actually adding additional salt with each top off.  The only way for salinity to ever drop is by manually removing water (could be done through a skimmer, water for testing, etc).

• Like 1

Yes it's totally safe to top up with sw to get the sg back up.

Your water level may have dropped from topping up too much freshwater or incorrect salinity from waterchange.

If you manually top up daily evap you need to make a mark somewhere on the tank to top up the correct amount of fw.

Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer?

If hydrometer- they are not reliable

If refractometer- make sure you calibrate it often with calibration fluid 

1 minute ago, Krish87 said:

Thanks for confirming @MSunkin23. Yes, it dropped because of too much RO/DI water. 

So you overfilled when topping off?  In that case just let the extra RO/DI evaporate out and you will be right back where you started 🙂 

If you manually removed water after overfilling then you will want to top off with saltwater until the salinity is correct again.  I guess you need to be a little more specific about the exact issue and steps you have already taken.  

A Little Blue

0.001 drop isn’t a big deal. I would just mix a small batch of salt in 1/2 a liter jug (or similar) at 1.032 and add that in small amounts over few day till you get it where you want it.