ChiefReefer

Red, kinda leaf shaped... Algae?

Hello,

I have a 13 gallon tank that has been up for a few months. Overnight, I saw some of this red stuff turn up. It hasn't really done much since then. I tried to brush it off with the vacuum, but it's on there pretty good. Any idea what it is?

I looked through the various I.d sites and threads, but couldn't find it. Thanks for the help!

15318051393243293182428413615851.jpg

Hmm... I’m sorry I don’t know either... curious to hear what you find out.

Certainly an algae/seagrass.

https://razottoli.wordpress.com/red-algal-zone/

Aqua cultured live rock?

Blue leg hermits would likely make quick work of it. I had a turf algae problem and bought some blue legs.. I previously had stayed away from hermits due to having previous ones pick at zoas. Withing a month they took care of the turf, as well as my dragons breath problem. No the dragon's breath wasn't really a problem, but they took care of it anyway. They kept snipping it off the rocks. Eventually they ate the hold fasts as well and well, now it is gone.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. It was live rock bought from an LFS that I suspect had been from a well established tank. Made for a quick cycle, but I think I would go dry rock next time to avoid some of the hitch hikers I've run into already. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiefReefer said:

Thanks for the reply. It was live rock bought from an LFS that I suspect had been from a well established tank. Made for a quick cycle, but I think I would go dry rock next time to avoid some of the hitch hikers I've run into already. 

You could also try Caribsea Liferock (next time)... quick cycle without the hitchhikers.  

• Like 1

Dive in and share your thoughts!

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recommended Discussions