Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Zooplankton

Aurortpa

So I try to spot feed my LPS’s weekly but after recently starting to collect SPS, it just occured to me...should I or do I even need to, feed them too?  Initially I was under this impression they are mostly light dependent, but they are animals, so I feel like they’d like more than just light. I’d like to give them all I can if it will help.

I read most don’t actually eat phyto directly, but rather zooplankton which feed on phyto?

Who actually feeds zooplankton and seen any remarkable results?

A Little Blue
30 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

So I try to spot feed my LPS’s weekly but after recently starting to collect SPS, it just occured to me...should I or do I even need to, feed them too?  Initially I was under this impression they are mostly light dependent, but they are animals, so I feel like they’d like more than just light. I’d like to give them all I can if it will help.

I read most don’t actually eat phyto directly, but rather zooplankton which feed on phyto?

Who actually feeds zooplankton and seen any remarkable results?

Zooxanthellae is the main source of food for stony corals but they do benefit from other food sources suspended in the water column. 

There are dedicated products that you can try to promote nutrients intake. Phytoplankton (such as Ocean Magic) is also a great product that has many uses including food source for stony corals, pods and effective tool to help with algae control. Fish poop dissolved in water column is another food source for your corals. Lastly, additional feeding of stony corals in newish tank or young frags (it helps acclimate to new environment, light acclimation  and survive rate) helps IMHO. 

• Like 1

If you have fish it's not necessary to feed food but once a week to broadcast or spot feed can be beneficial.

I prefer foods made for lps and sps to zooplankton and phyto

(both can foul up water easily)

• Like 2