inTank Media Baskets

Pom Pom Crab Spawned...

Ann95

So I noticed a while back (not entirely sure when) that my little pom pom crab had an egg sack. I wasn't sure how since she didn't have one when I got her and she's my only pom pom but, yeah. Life finds a way, I guess. And now tonight I looked up at my tank and there were a lot, and I mean a lot, of little, white fuzzy looking things floating around in the water. They're moving too fast for me to compare with more close up pictures online but I think they came from the pom pom. The only other option would be blue legged hermits. 

Anyways, I scooped up as many as I could get and have them in a 2 liter with an air pump at the lowest amount of air release the valve will allow so they have a gentle flow. I read someone mentioned doing this using a filter or something for jellyfish instead of an air pump and I think jellyfish need gentler water flow, so I'm just trying to recreate that. I also splashed a bit of phytoplankton in there, as well as the big tank in case any of them survive in there, and am hoping they'll eat.

Any one else been able to have some success with raising pom poms? I know it's rare but, still... If you guys have any input I'd be more than happy to hear it, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here.

RayWhisperer

Unless you happened to notice it shortly after release, I doubt it’s the Pom Pom larvae you are seeing. Being pelagic, they’d be quickly eliminated by the filter, not to mention hungry fish, corals, or any other filter feeder. Hermits spawn almost nightly in a healthy system, they have the same fate. So, it’s possible you have a spawn, of either. But it’s more likely you happened to catch a spawn of mysid shrimp, or some other crustacean. 

If, in fact, you do have pom Pom larvae, it’s not easy. First off, you’ve fed them too early. They won’t be eating anything for at least a few days. As far as what they eat, I don’t know. However, I doubt it’s phyto. More than likely you’d need rotifers, or baby brine. Then you’d need to change foods as they develop. I’m sure it would be at least a month, or so, until they settle out as tiny crabs.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, RayWhisperer said:

Unless you happened to notice it shortly after release, I doubt it’s the Pom Pom larvae you are seeing. Being pelagic, they’d be quickly eliminated by the filter, not to mention hungry fish, corals, or any other filter feeder. Hermits spawn almost nightly in a healthy system, they have the same fate. So, it’s possible you have a spawn, of either. But it’s more likely you happened to catch a spawn of mysid shrimp, or some other crustacean. 

If, in fact, you do have pom Pom larvae, it’s not easy. First off, you’ve fed them too early. They won’t be eating anything for at least a few days. As far as what they eat, I don’t know. However, I doubt it’s phyto. More than likely you’d need rotifers, or baby brine. Then you’d need to change foods as they develop. I’m sure it would be at least a month, or so, until they settle out as tiny crabs.

I only have a 5 gallon and no corals or fish. The only thing I think I have that would take them out are the filter and a cleaner shrimp that I couldn't decide was going ham on them or being a shrimp - I guess he was feasting. Even the suspected mama crab doesn't have anemones. But you're right, this morning there was nothing left in the big tank.

If it is pom pom larvae I know they're extremely difficult but I couldn't leave them there without at least trying. I'll try to get some baby brine but from reading other posts I don't think they eat rotifers but I'm not sure anyone really knows what they eat for sure.

Thank you so much for the input! ❤️