Innovative Marine Aquariums

From 1000l to 100?!

Nstocks

So after a lot of issues over the past year, I'm currently selling all of my marine setup and it's a big system, 7 feet long.

I know that once it's all gone and I have my big desk back in the home office/chill out room I will want something else.

I toyed with a freshwater shrimp tank but who am I kidding.

Justin Fox had a great fluvial edge (46 litres) and that size tank should be fine placed on a a IKEA desk, but I'm wondering, is it really sustainable in terms of keeping things alive and not spending insane amount of money on equipment upgrades?

I'd be looking to keep softies or macro algae and a handful of fish like gobies.

Anyone with a all in one under 100L (or desktop size) hit me up!

Many of us have tanks from 1g and up. 

I had a 1g jar.

There was a pico contest and that has some really good info because many members were involved.

I currently have a 5g, 10g, and 25g. All simple systems.

There is a complete section on pico tanks.

Some ppl choose to upgrade their system and others keep it simple. It really depends on what your overall plans are.

Keeping a tank on a desk- you got to take into account that water and salt spray is BAD for electronics.

The moisture alone can cause corrosion.

The desk also needs to be able to handle the weight which is about 8lbs per gallon of water. 

I have had my 12g Fluval Edge set up for 1 year now.  I battle low alkalinity but everything seems more than happy with 6.5....

3 fish, 1 shrimp, and 20+ different corals and I'm very happy.   It is on IKEA furniture (my husband made an internal brace from 4x4s and 3/4" plywood) that's part of our TV stand so it's easy to see from anywhere in the living area.  We put an AI Prime HD under the hood (which sits up in the back ever so slightly) and is set at 45% most channels.  

20180715_182146.thumb.jpg.8a2d848af10af61b023ef7b4f0f9c5a3.jpg

20180715_182647.thumb.jpg.657c9969caaedd22ca301881252301e5.jpg

I don't have any high end corals, 80% softies, 25% LPS, 5% SPS.  It's a PITA to work in, but it's worth it to me - such a gorgeous tank. 

• Like 1

Love the look of this!

It's acrylic though which I don't like and I realise it will need very frequent water changes, not a fan of the curved edges either (it distorts the view)

Not sure what I can grow with the LED either and hiding a heater and powerhead (and cables) could ruin the look. Unless I go for tropical and fake decorations!?

Biorb Cube 60

Cube_60L_Clear_on_roomset_biOrb_homepage.jpg

On 7/16/2018 at 3:03 PM, Nstocks said:

Love the look of this!

It's acrylic though which I don't like and I realise it will need very frequent water changes, not a fan of the curved edges either (it distorts the view)

Not sure what I can grow with the LED either and hiding a heater and powerhead (and cables) could ruin the look. Unless I go for tropical and fake decorations!?

Biorb Cube 60

Cube_60L_Clear_on_roomset_biOrb_homepage.jpg

The biorbs are over priced and not designed for reefs sp yo have corals, it will require upgrades.

You're better off going with a fluval evo which you can start off with as it is a great beginner tank. Lights can be upgraded but not necessary for soft corals and lps.

There is also the innovative marines which is a favoured tank.