Top Shelf Aquatics

12" cube lighting options

Frag Factory

Frag Factory

Hey all,

I'm looking at a replacement light for my 12" cube build

I'm currently using a Chinese ebay special PAR38 and while it will do the job I kind of see that I got what I paid for... too much light is focused in the middle while the edges don't seem to get much.

I'm also buying with a possible upgrade in mind... I'm already wishing I went with a 18" cube. So something that could light both of these options with the option to drop the intensity would be ideal.

I'm look at the following options:

• AI Prime HD
  • A kessil of some sort, really not up to date of their products.

I'm in the UK so choices are not as good as yours, but we get big brand stuff here without much issues.

Are there any other options to look at? If the light could be capable of SPS in the upper part of the tank/mixed reef it would be ideal.

Looking to spend upto £250ish

Thanks!

Both are solid choices.  I personally love Kessils over cubes, but that is partly because of the natural looking shadows and shimmer.  A Nanobox Duo would be awesome for either size, however I'm not sure if they ship to the UK. 

• Like 1
Frag Factory

I looked at nanobox, most recommendations I saw in the search results mentioned them. Unfortunately they don't seem available here and I'd feel more comfortable with a company that offered warranty here. 

If I went with a kessil what model would you recommend?  

I love my AI Prime, looks great on my 10g nano cube. The customization and app controller are pretty cool features. With that said, I’ve never owner a Kessil but people on here definitely recommend them too.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

I looked at nanobox, most recommendations I saw in the search results mentioned them. Unfortunately they don't seem available here and I'd feel more comfortable with a company that offered warranty here. 

If I went with a kessil what model would you recommend?  

For 18" cube I would probably go 360N.  Used to have a pair over a 36x18x18 and they were covered it perfectly.  A lot of people like the 360W because it has a wider spread, but if it only needs to cover 18x18 then you will just have extra light spilling onto the floor, walls, etc.

As far as Nanobox @DaveFason hand builds every unit and is a longtime active member here.  May be worth asking fingerscrossedI actually replaced my Kessils with a Nanobox recently and can attest his stuff is top notch.  

• Like 1
Frag Factory

Thanks for the help! Kessil 360 seems rather more expensive than the Prime. 

I'm sure Nanobox offer great support but shipping back to the USA if anything ever went wrong would kind of hurt... If he wants to move here though we can do something 😁

I'll have to do some more reading, happy to shell out for the Kessil but for that much extra money it's got to kick some major ass

mitten_reef
3 hours ago, specore said:

For 18" cube I would probably go 360N.  Used to have a pair over a 36x18x18 and they were covered it perfectly.  A lot of people like the 360W because it has a wider spread, but if it only needs to cover 18x18 then you will just have extra light spilling onto the floor, walls, etc.

As far as Nanobox @DaveFason hand builds every unit and is a longtime active member here.  May be worth asking fingerscrossedI actually replaced my Kessils with a Nanobox recently and can attest his stuff is top notch.  

9 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

Thanks for the help! Kessil 360 seems rather more expensive than the Prime. 

I'm sure Nanobox offer great support but shipping back to the USA if anything ever went wrong would kind of hurt... If he wants to move here though we can do something 😁

I'll have to do some more reading, happy to shell out for the Kessil but for that much extra money it's got to kick some major ass

OP has a 12" cube, not 18".  I think A160 will be plenty for that tank as far as Kessil.   

• Like 1
Perthreefer

I'm running Radion XR15 G4 pro's on my 24" shallow cube. One would definitely do the job on an 18" if you did decide on the upgrade. Extremely powerful lights and should be within your budget too just about.

42272499025_ddfbcfb25c_z.jpgthree by kenpau01, on Flickr

28307007127_398f750d02_z.jpgten by kenpau01, on Flickr

11 hours ago, micoastreefing said:

OP has a 12" cube, not 18".  I think A160 will be plenty for that tank as far as Kessil.   

But want something which would work for 18" if they upgrade. 

15 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I'm also buying with a possible upgrade in mind... I'm already wishing I went with a 18" cube. So something that could light both of these options with the option to drop the intensity would be ideal.

• Like 1
Frag Factory

I think the AI Prime HD might be the one I go for, seems to have solid reviews and looks reasonable priced.

Should support any coral I want in my 12" cube and SPS in the top 1/3rd if/when I upgrade to the 18" cube and LPS further down... Perfect.

Thank you so much guys 🙂

Perthreefer

Maybe just take a read of this before you commit. Not trying to influence your decision but it's good to read more reviews before you buy...