inTank Media Baskets

ADA Zero Equipment Build - Life got in the way but I'm updating again!

Frag Factory

4 hours ago, mtgmichaelg said:

hey how long did it take for your recordea's to recover after splitting them into three?

About 5 days, they were very close to splitting naturally which helped.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.f475356f20e39f3273307fca9ca80b4b.jpg

So it looks like the seller tried to pull a fast one with the yellow hammer.

I've left them a message saying they can either arrange collection of the coral or a partial refund and I'll keep it. No idea where I could put it, I want to save the space I had in mind for a show stopper coral... 😭

I guess I could move it to the frag tank, I'd rather not though. I have plans for that system. 👹

• Sad 2
50 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

I've left them a message saying they can either arrange collection of the coral or a partial refund and I'll keep it. No idea where I could put it, I want to save the space I had in mind for a show stopper coral... 😭

I guess I could move it to the frag tank, I'd rather not though. I have plans for that system. 👹

Man, I'd be pissed.  I don't think you are terribly surprised considering the price seemed too good to be true. Still seeing the same coral edited to look a completely different color in another listing has to be infuriating.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

man I hate with tht sh*t happens...I am sure you will get the response  different lighting will make the coral   look different...that is true to some degree but come on man.  ask him what lighting and what setting they try to find reefers in your area with the same lighting??

that said its a very beautiful coral tho...just not what you wanted I am sure.

• Like 1

That sucks, yellow corals online are VERY deceptive imo. I tend to only buy yellow stuff when I can see it in person. I just picked up a yellow lepto in person that is VERY yellow under any light.

That is super messed up the SAME image is in a different listing, can't be WYSIWYG then. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

You can file a claim with Ebay for "significantly not as described" and submit the evidence you've posted here- especially the same coral in a different color- and I'd expect they'll grant you a refund. What a bummer!

• Like 1

Yup, the seller already claimed the whole "wrong light" thing. 

Despite saying in the message reply that he altered the white balance...

The same coral is photographed in another listing for the elegance coral next to it, it's even green in that image.

I'm apparently the only unhappy person in 12 salesofthis coral...

I've complained to eBay, waiting to see what happens. It's going to cost me £20 just to return it.

I'm a bit unhappy with seller to say the least.

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

Yup, the seller already claimed the whole "wrong light" thing. 

Despite saying in the message reply that he altered the white balance...

The same coral is photographed in another listing for the elegance coral next to it, it's even green in that image.

I'm apparently the only unhappy person in 12 salesofthis coral...

I've complained to eBay, waiting to see what happens. It's going to cost me £20 just to return it.

I'm a bit unhappy with seller to say the least.

Hopefully eBay will not make you pay to return it, not sure in the UK but in the US the seller usually has to send a prepaid label to you to return.  They may not make you return it at all, just depends.  Fingers crossed for you.

I'm fairly sure legally the seller has to refund the buyer of the cheapest possible method of sending the item back. If they do that I won't return it, no point killing it just because it's the wrong colour. Other than the colour it's actually a nice hammer.

16 minutes ago, Frag Factory said:

I'm fairly sure legally the seller has to refund the buyer of the cheapest possible method of sending the item back. If they do that I won't return it, no point killing it just because it's the wrong colour. Other than the colour it's actually a nice hammer.

Worst case, maybe you can trade it in at an LFS and get something else you like.

5 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Worst case, maybe you can trade it in at an LFS and get something else you like.

My LFS has a 8 foot by 4 foot tray of coral thats 50% green hammer corals 😂

• Haha 1

Moving on from the hammer disappointment (which I'll end up keeping, seller is being too annoying to deal with)... This is my weekly update.

I've started dosing Kalk. KH on fresh salt water was 11 (Red Sea Coral Pro). My tank after it's last water change had a KH of 8...

I've not got a calcium/magnesium test kit but will pick those up. I get a lot of coraline algea and my SPS are booming. 50% water changes weekly can't keep up so I must dose something. I might look at 3 part or triton at some point but I don't really have the space in the stand.

I've also ordered a Deltec (D&D) temp controller which arrives today to act as security for the heater I don't trust while I look at options for the canister/heater combo... Might just replumb what I have with a replacement heater, with the proper hose barbs and no size changes in hose. It would save me £150 over a Oase biomaster or Ehiem Thermo filter. The filter I have now is doing the job well, It's just the hydor heater and plumbing fittings that keep me nervous. Either way I can't do anything until the bungs I ordered arrive so I can stop water flowing out when I pull pipes off.

I woke up at 5am today, it's my favourite time to see my tank as you can see how the corals are growing without extended polyps.

b2d7b9aac592de573450ff8174d3c392.thumb.jpg.4affa9898684565cab4c0f23f53e1ec0.jpg

All of these Zoas were only glued down 3 weeks ago! Really happy with how these guys are doing.

I've been feeding heavily lately (considering there's no fish), 1 cube of brine shrimp every 2 days. It's really sped up growth and helped keep my nitrate between 2 and 5ppm which is on point. If I stop feeding they fall to zero.

2 LFS's in the next city over are running 10% and 20% discounts for halloween this weekend. I might pop over this afternoon and see what I can pick up.

Also, my frag/QT tank is taking off, current pod population is in the 1000's with no natural predators. The only corals in there are 19 xenia frags and a zoa plug 😄. I want to do something slightly more interesting with that tank, possibly a lagoon tank with lots of macro and a pair of pipefish. There's a guy that breeds them local to me...

7998d2b0380cd7352a4805b0e4d04796.gif

• Like 2

🤐IMG_20181027_135730.thumb.jpg.926359de3960be426041a5f87faf0456.jpg

Busy day, only managed 1 lfs but I'm passing by another tomorrow... It's rude not to look. If they have a trio of sexy shrimp I might have to get them. Along with another couple of hermits and something to turn over my gravel.

The new clowns are awesome. They don't stop moving. They have been bickering a little but nothing to worry about. They cost me £98 for the pair but I love the look of them.

I installed my heater controller from D-D, I'm sure it's the same as the simply aquaria model that looks popular, it's just D-D (the company David Saxby owns) rebadge them. It's a really impressive unit, very tidy and simple to install. It's kept the tank within 0.3c all day. 

IMG_20181027_195301-01.thumb.jpeg.ee343246f0726a8b14ee83311d7d7af0.jpeg

I need to find somewhere for the hammer to live, also thinking of moving the goni to the side again as it gets quite big during the day and blocks my zoa's from view. 

My crab has not been seen since the clowns arrived, what a wimp 😂

• Like 4

Ok so one clown died, I suspect internal parasites but no confirmation. Tried my best to treat him with what I could get but it didn't really work or help him. Gutted.

I've not had much luck with fish. The LFS were happy to replace with a water sample and accepted it was probably ill when I took it.

New guy seems happy but is getting bullied. He's been in the tank for 20 mins. I'll let them get that out the way and worry if they are still doing it in a few hours 

Edit: It's been a few hours and the clown I got on saturday is still being a bit aggressive. I've turned the lights off on the tank and the room, that seems to have calmed her (or soon to be her) down a lot. Going to give them more time, if she's still being a harsh she can sleep it off in the quarantine tank while the new clown establishes himself. 

• Sad 2

Weekly update time!

I've bought some utter chaos, rastas and sunny D's from a reefer on a UK forum, these arrive next week. 

Because of the sick clown I've took 10litres of water for that, I've also done another water change today as I had to replace floss and carbon in my canister filter. Nitrates are so so low... I'm hoping this helps with my latest algae outbreak on my substrate which is annoying me. It's a brown hair algae. 

I've also paused feeding Acropower and red Sea coral nutrition while I get my head around it. My gravel is vacuumed each week, there's very little detritus in there.

Next issue with my tank is kH, despite using RS black bucket (11kH on fresh mix) my tanks struggling to stay above 7kH right now, even with dosing kalkwasser in my ATO water.

I'm going to go with two part, I've ordered the chemicals online. I'll dose manually until I get my head around it and pick up a doser later.

Both montipora have put on 1/4" in the last two weeks, my Acro seems to be encrusting at the base too which is awesome! It's also looking much happier since installing the temp controller. Polyps are back out and green is coming back, hopefully that's the last of the set backs for this coral. The last 3-4 times it's just started to look good something happens. 

The clowns have stopped fighting, the smaller one looks a little sorry for itself but it's something they have to get through. Right now they only occasionally chase each other and there's a bit of anger when I feed them and they are down to the last few pieces.

I've moved my goni to the side of the tank, and "yellow" hammer next to my other hammer. There doesn't seem to be and stinging going on.

Here's some sucky cell phone pics, I probably should pick up a camera and learn to use it but corals expensive yo 🤑

IMG_20181102_214731-01.thumb.jpeg.5b2ca8e2f49eb3c68e1bde17987566f9.jpeg

IMG_20181102_214700-01.thumb.jpeg.1e6e6ce6f5dfff32eb063eeca90ed13a.jpeg

IMG_20181102_220712.thumb.jpg.50ba8f92c68dde44ccc68f5b61b32a5f.jpg

zoagrowth.thumb.jpg.7bf225d36ee372e10473c3d484da03ad.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you dude 

They are my favourite coral, very few places sell them in the UK. There's one online retailer who has about 15 colour morphs. If I get a good few weeks of work I'll treat myself to one of each 😀

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

Thank you dude 

They are my favourite coral, very few places sell them in the UK. There's one online retailer who has about 15 colour morphs. If I get a good few weeks of work I'll treat myself to one of each 😀

Check out the TOTM from a few years ago, I think it was trueisb2 or something, basically an ombre effect with rics. :smilie:

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Check out the TOTM from a few years ago, I think it was trueisb2 or something, basically an ombre effect with rics. :smilie:

Oh that looks cool! I'd like that.

I was mainly going to pick them up, feed them a lot and then frag them. Rics are hard to get in the UK, often costing £25-£40 per polyp ($40-$60) in LFS's and I've always had good luck with them.

From 2008-2011 I paid my way through school fragging corals (hence the username). I was inspired by a thread here (which sadly has no images anymore). Rics used to be something I was good at and Mini Maxis when they were "in fashion". 

• Like 1

Caught my Fungia spawning again! 😍

Also looking at options to replenish Calcium (and more importantly) KH.

Picked up the aquaforest/reeflowers chemicals and slowly reading up on the best way to do this...

Also saw a stomata snail spawning list night when I woke up and needed a glass of water at 4am... sadly didn't have my phone with me.

• Like 1

More breeding action going on, I spotted two baby snails tonight after lights out 🤩

fed7ad9f3981b0e91fcc1e2df5ee3f57.thumb.jpg.674b91df3c8f59418ef627b1e55f5174.jpg

They must be trocus snails. Please ignore the two baby Aiptasia... They will be nuked when they put on a little more size.

I feel very lucky that things seem to be going so well! So much life and activity for such a small space.

• Like 1

Weekly update!

I've stopped dosing kalk, the lack of control worried me. Starting today my ATO is back to RO water and I'm going with manually dosing balling salts from aquaforest.

I'll get a doser when I feel like I know what my tank needs. I'm struggling with low magnesium and low alk. Both are being consumed at a faster than expected rate. 

New corals arrived, some utter chaos zoa's, sunny d zoa's and Rasta zoa's

IMG_20181109_200721-01.thumb.jpeg.0da3fd6bb784d3cc08eaa20eb16b1c3e.jpeg

I'm also suffering from low nitrates again... I've been feeding 4 cubes of brine a week + red Sea coral nutrition and acropower. Nitrates shouldn't be zero...

Anyway, enjoy some pics

IMG_20181109_171007-01.thumb.jpeg.0001facc054187d916801d24e268a4d3.jpeg

IMG_20181109_200712-01.thumb.jpeg.346f10441d67aeca4fe72bfd6db53548.jpeg

• Like 2