Top Shelf Aquatics

Dead/dying coral. Should I contact seller?

AquaVaj

Last night I picked up a couple of frags from a local reefer. They all looked fine but the 2 headed hammer was a little questionable. One head was fully receded while the other looked ok. I was told it was dropped in the tank onto that head and it wasn't too happy about it. I thought once it finished sulking it'll open back up so I went ahead and purchased it. I get home and discovered it was packed with the heads down against the plastic cup. Not a good sign. By the time I finished acclimating them with the drip method it was way past the time my lights turn off so I didn't really get to see if it opened up before heading to bed. With the lights out all the other corals already closed up for the night.

I get home from work today to find the receded head fully melted and the other head looking very rough. All other pieces I got are looking great. Fully open and responding well to my tank. I moved the remaining head to a low flow area (it was only in moderate flow on the sand bed) for right now but I don't think it's going to make it either. While it was only $15 I'm still a little bummed out and contemplating if I should contact the seller about it. 

I don't really think there's much the seller can do, especially since you bought it when you knew it was looking a little questionable. At least everything else is doing well, that's something to be happy about!

• Like 1

Well I went ahead and contacted the seller last night. He was cool about it and said he'll text me when he gets another comparable piece and will work out a deal. Maybe half credit towards next purchase.

This morning the other head is no more too. Yes, I can't really blame anyone but myself for buying it but I think the way it was packaged stressed it even more and it never recovered. The flower pot, which I think is much more temperamental is doing great. Opening and extending even more than when I first saw it so I doubt it was my tank. Frags I got a week before all look happy too.

1 hour ago, AquaVaj said:

Well I went ahead and contacted the seller last night. He was cool about it and said he'll text me when he gets another comparable piece and will work out a deal. Maybe half credit towards next purchase.

This morning the other head is no more too. Yes, I can't really blame anyone but myself for buying it but I think the way it was packaged stressed it even more and it never recovered. The flower pot, which I think is much more temperamental is doing great. Opening and extending even more than when I first saw it so I doubt it was my tank. Frags I got a week before all look happy too.

Sounds like good news all around then! That's nice of the seller to work out a deal for you when he has another piece ready

I wouldn't give up on it yet. Keep it in a low flow area and see if it doesn't regenerate. While delicate, corals like that can withstand more than what we give them credit for. If u can, QT it for a while.