Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Cloudy Tank Questions

wh1skey6

1 hour ago, Aurortpa said:

I’m holding my stance that all this needs is a good sand rinse, this is silt—you want it out of there anyway, not just resettled. 

I'm in agreement; it's likely just fine sand particles that should be able to be rinsed out.  What's a little confusing is that it didn't seem to be a problem for several weeks.

I'd just siphon the sand out during water changes; then use tap water to rinse it out.  With a few inches of sand in a 5 gallon bucket:

• add some tap water to cover the sand by a few inches
  • thoroughly stir the sand with your hand
  • dump out the cloudy water
  • repeat until the water isn't cloudy anymore (which could be a dozen or so rinsings)

I would do a final rinse with RO/DI water to remove the tap water.  I'd also add the clarifier (and new floss) after you reintroduce the sand to your tank.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'm in agreement; it's likely just fine sand particles that should be able to be rinsed out.  What's a little confusing is that it didn't seem to be a problem for several weeks.

I'd just siphon the sand out during water changes; then use tap water to rinse it out.  With a few inches of sand in a 5 gallon bucket:

• add some tap water to cover the sand by a few inches
  • thoroughly stir the sand with your hand
  • dump out the cloudy water
  • repeat until the water isn't cloudy anymore (which could be a dozen or so rinsings)

I would do a final rinse with RO/DI water to remove the tap water.  I'd also add the clarifier (and new floss) after you reintroduce the sand to your tank.

Tap water rinse will effectively turn this back into "dead" sand, right? Will I cycle if I introduce it back into the tank?

3 hours ago, seabass said:

I can't tell from your posts, but it doesn't sound like you are replacing the mechanical filter as frequently as it might take.  I'd be cleaning or replacing it a few times a day.

Are you dosing carbon (or using nutrient reduction media or chemicals)?

I probably should change it out more often but its once in the morning and once when i get home from work.

No dosing of anything. 

35 minutes ago, wh1skey6 said:

No dosing of anything.

Good.

37 minutes ago, wh1skey6 said:

Tap water rinse will effectively turn this back into "dead" sand, right? Will I cycle if I introduce it back into the tank?

One rinse probably wouldn't kill the bacteria, but a dozen or so washes might have some effect.  Rinsing it shouldn't have any more effect than removing it.  However, the nitrifying bacteria also reside on your live rock, tank walls, and equipment, so you shouldn't have an ammonia spike.  But have some Seachem Prime around just in case.

41 minutes ago, wh1skey6 said:

Most of it lives in your rock, I did a sand rinse a couple months ago, and the only thing it killed was my Cyano. Keep in mind, some people don’t even use sand, unless it’s a true DSB, it’s more looks than function. 

• Like 1

I suppose the question now is:

1) Rinse the oolite and hope for the best

2) Go with Petco's sale on aragonite 

3) Barebottom

I'm actually thinking #2. My LFS has a shrimp/goby pair that are pretty fun to watch. They're in aragonite now and have been building caves. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:35 PM, seabass said:

This is also what is confusing the heck out of me and was leading me to thinking it was bacteria break out.

SunSuns are in and new floss last night and this morning. Hopefully it clears up when i get home from the office. If not, I'll go with rinsing the sand this weekend.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, wh1skey6 said:

This is also what is confusing the heck out of me and was leading me to thinking it was bacteria break out.

SunSuns are in and new floss last night and this morning. Hopefully it clears up when i get home from the office. If not, I'll go with rinsing the sand this weekend.

Hmmm might want to consider a foam block or filter pad that takes out very small sized microns...because if it is indeed itty bitty silt, I imagine much may go right thru floss.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this. I didn't get a chance to get the sand out but I showed pics to my LFS. The owner (very knowledgeable and extremely reputable) was leaning towards it was a bacteria outbreak. I did a 25% water change, 3 day black out, then a 25% water change. These were taken yesterday (one day after the last water change). Front view is clear. Looking through the side still a bit cloudy but much better. Not sure if it was the two water changes or the black out. Still running floss 24/7. I bought three bags of aragonite that I'lll swap out someday.

TankGif1.gif.54abb6c41b4abc01f3fb8789c1cbf805.gif

TankGif2.gif.ad6eee8eca9ecfdbb2bd0960af80ac90.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Second update. The tank went green/cloudy a few days after the blackout so I picked up a cheap UV Sterilizer (AA Green Killing Machine) and ran it for 4 days. This is the before pic:

791268789_Green1.jpg.51f4ff1609a34fcf30aa4e7dbf9ff40d.jpg

Four days later...

1886613975_Green2.jpg.ba22922152e00322f8109bf74647a99b.jpg

Besides the UV sterilizer, I also shorten the light period and lowered the intensity. I'm running just floss right now to "polish" but will turn that off. I also switched back to my MP10s as seen in the "after" pic.

The UV sterilizer is probably helping with the bacterial bloom too.  However, I see that you have a notable cyano bloom going on now.  That could be due to the bacterial imbalance, or even the reduced flow.  This tank has got it all going on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

The UV sterilizer is probably helping with the bacterial bloom too.  However, I see that you have a notable cyano bloom going on now.  That could be due to the bacterial imbalance, or even the reduced flow.  This tank has got it all going on.

Oh its definitely a hot mess right now. I cranked up the flow and will do a water change today or tomorrow. I turned off the UV sterilizer for now. Was planning on only running it when I needed to.

• 2 weeks later...