Cultivated Reef

Hammer and Frogspawn problems!!!

idk1998

Hey everyone, For the past few months I’ve been having problems with my hammer and more recently, my frogspawn as well. 

Hammer: when I first introduced my hammer to the tank it was nice and big and happy but one day one of the tentacles got pinched off and its been closed ever since. I’ve tried different lighting and flow but it hasn’t opened up for about 3 months now. What’s going on???

Frogspawn: as more my frogspawn, it’s always been happy but recently I got red/brown flatworms and I had to move them into a tiny 2.5 gal qt. That’s when I noticed there’s white fleshy looking stuff at the base and skeleton and I have no clue what it is... does anyone know what it is and if it’s dangerous?

I hope someone can help me, thanks you!!

edit: added a picture of someone else having the same thing. They didn’t tell me anything about them tho.

C7996628-8A01-4753-BA2C-3BCF940F357C.jpeg

15BA7827-DD20-45B7-BB37-F42C3807AD77.jpeg

6A69D554-F9AC-4E27-BBFD-7B37F6C507EE.jpeg

923F0400-AC9D-4F0D-B1D2-2438345735EE.jpeg

89B5939E-61E5-4904-AF50-C5C89C1CEEA0.jpeg

Edited by idk1998
Extra info

Dear @idk1998, the last time I had a similar issue with my hammer was when there was a temperature swing in my tank primarily due to the summer. That swing caused my hammer and frogspawn to not puff as they usually do. But gradually when I got the temp to reach 76 - 78F, they were back to normal. But it did take around a day or two. 

As for your frogspawn issue, take a look at this thread : 

Perhaps, that might help. 

Just for everyone to better help, can you share your tank parameters? 

Cheers,

Krish 

We need more info so we can help you.

Tanks current parameters

Do you dose to maintain alk and ca

What filtration is there

What's the maintenance routine

What water is used

And what lights and how much flow is there

Most common reason for retraction

Too much flow

Alk fluctuations

• Like 1

Agree with @Clown79, need more info to draw theories.  Are you moving them to different lighting levels a lot, each time you do that it must readapt and may retract as it tries to settle in. Also the squiggly stuff looks like missenteil filaments, coral guts basically...is something still munching on them possibly?  What inverts do you have?  Any camel or peppermint shrimp?