Coral Vue Hydros

Pump upgrade caused instant could odor issue

Gaviota

Hi folks. So I upgraded my pump to the mj404 from the stock filter that came with my spec 3. I also added a new bag of purigen at the same time to the media basket.

Pretty much as soon as I turned on the system I noticed a terrible odor, smells a bit like low tide, but more chemically. 

I'm assuming it's cause my flow was to low and the increased water movement is allowing the odor to escape? Thoughts.

I just did a water change 7 days ago and I tested the water about 10 mins ago and everything returned ok.

No3 @ 0

No2 @ 0

Ph @ 7.5

Kh @ 80

GH @ 180 (this measurement is always the darkest reading on the dip)

Salinity was a tiny bit high @ 1.028

Did a 30. % change just now and don't notice any reduction after an hour. 

How should I proceed?

Yes. It got marginally better.

I plugged in the new pump to verify it worked, then odor, then increasing odor over abt an hour. Unplugged tank to do water change. Odor was there but not permeating as strong. As I turkey based it seemed to again increase on the water exchange. Plugged it back in. Kitchen smells like maybe the wetlands or a bad sushi restaurant still. 

? I can try to unplug it, put in in a new batch of saltwater mix and see if the scent is coming from the bucket to test. Do pumps emit an odor when they first run?

Theres 2 possibilities.

1 the buildup in the back chambers is causing the smell. Back chambers collect a lot of detritus and if not vacuumed, it just breaks down to nasty garbage.

Was the purigen properly rinsed prior to use because it has a fishy smell.

5 minutes ago, Gaviota said:

no, i didn't rinse the purigen.

Its supposed to be rinsed prior to use.

Directions

Rinse before use. Use in a fine mesh (180 micron or less) filter bag such as Seachem’s The Bag™. Each 250 mL treats up to 1,000 L (250 US gallons) for up to six months. Exhaustion is indicated by a pronounced discoloration of the beads to dark brown or black.

There's the cause of the smell