Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What’s Your Favorite Coral - Let’s See Some Pics

banasophia

13 hours ago, Clown79 said:

My orange plate is one of my favs. I've never seen a plate like this.

The second pic is the mother of my plate.

20180525_212600.jpg

20180106_163246.jpg

I love your plates! The baby reminds me of the speck of dust from Horton Hears a Who where the Who’s live. 

It it looks so different from the mother. Would love to know more about how it reproduces. 

13 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Right now it’s my Long Tentacle Plate Coral:

9F9A7B78-0893-48D4-AA8F-C0042D60E4B6.thumb.jpeg.8d25a1917d65c84111e6e9f894c5d650.jpeg99067C2C-7E81-43A1-919A-9ED748CD64C1.thumb.jpeg.4a4dfcb5d5e7a89d50d1ddf155d83a36.jpeg69EF8DDC-B2E6-48AD-816C-7FC84399C408.thumb.jpeg.5cf2d7dcaea56a8074421ba52797644c.jpeg

Gorgeous! I’ve never seen one with stripes like that... the colors are really vivid. And great photo. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Asureef said:

My SC orange passion.  I’ve watched it grown from a tiny nub.

JPrIKy.jpg

Beautiful! How long did it take to grow that big? 

1 hour ago, banasophia said:

I love your plates! The baby reminds me of the speck of dust from Horton Hears a Who where the Who’s live. 

It it looks so different from the mother. Would love to know more about how it reproduces. 

I'm going to have to check out that speck of dust. Lol.

I don't own the mother. It's the lfs that has it.

It's a very different plate.  It looks like it has multiple heads like a blasto or acan. Most plates I've seen have 1 body. 

It also drops babies regularly. 

I got mine and it was the size of half a dime. Its growing rapidly.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm going to have to check out that speck of dust. Lol.

I don't own the mother. It's the lfs that has it.

It's a very different plate.  It looks like it has multiple heads like a blasto or acan. Most plates I've seen have 1 body. 

It also drops babies regularly. 

I got mine and it was the size of half a dime. Its growing rapidly.

That’s really fascinating... and the baby looks so different. I’ll have to read up some on how they develop and reproduce. I love my two plates too.  🙂

By no means are they extraordinary but my duncans are probably the easiest coral I have kept.  Went from 2 heads to this bouquet in leas than a couple years.  Has survived in the past: a heavy metal incident, diatom blooms, cyano—and still eats like a champ!

5A4D0ECA-65B0-4A5C-A937-14D2BC170122.jpeg.a82e4b0e301ba3076ea51a83f576ca2a.jpeg

8FF78526-BFBC-4E73-AFE3-5544E00D36AC.thumb.jpeg.c2d235ef0bcdb95f209538c1967439c8.jpeg

• Like 5
49 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

By no means are they extraordinary but my duncans are probably the easiest coral I have kept.  Went from 2 heads to this bouquet in leas than a couple years.  Has survived in the past: a heavy metal incident, diatom blooms, cyano—and still eats like a champ!

5A4D0ECA-65B0-4A5C-A937-14D2BC170122.jpeg.a82e4b0e301ba3076ea51a83f576ca2a.jpeg

8FF78526-BFBC-4E73-AFE3-5544E00D36AC.thumb.jpeg.c2d235ef0bcdb95f209538c1967439c8.jpeg

Duncan's are great.

I have a purple Duncan and green Duncan in my 10g. Nothing bothers Duncan's, fantastic coral.

Every coral is beautiful.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Duncan's are great.

I have a purple Duncan and green Duncan in my 10g. Nothing bothers Duncan's, fantastic coral.

Every coral is beautiful.

Oh man, I love Duncans but they are the one coral I really can’t keep (so far). They seem to be very sensitive to hydroids which I have a lot of. 😞

1 hour ago, Aurortpa said:

@Clown79 Purple duncan?  Any pics, I might like a head! 😳

Ya they are a light pink/purple.

I'll get a pic when it's open. I just did a waterchange and its closed up.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

Oh man, I love Duncans but they are the one coral I really can’t keep (so far). They seem to be very sensitive to hydroids which I have a lot of. 😞

Odd, good to know! Is there anyway you can get some small rock rubble, scrub and nuke with peroxide, so you can sit a frag on top of that?  

Any solutions to hydroids? I’ve always had a few but never had them spread. 

4 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

Odd, good to know! Is there anyway you can get some small rock rubble, scrub and nuke with peroxide, so you can sit a frag on top of that?  

Any solutions to hydroids? I’ve always had a few but never had them spread. 

The hydroids spread so fast in my tank! Sea hares eat them up, but I don’t have enough algae in my tank to sustain the sea hare after they eat most of the hydroids, so unfortunately I can’t just keep one for ongoing control of the hydroid population because it would quickly starve. I had one last week and added some macro algae to my DT and tried to feed nori sheets but it wasn’t interested, so I rehomed him after he polished of most of the hydroids. But alas, there were still a few left behind and they have come back full force only one week later. 

Two of my LFSs have been recommending a yellow coris wrasse to control the hydroids, but I’m already overstocked, and concerned about keeping the wrasse with my mandarin. I’m considering moving my purple  firefish to my other (new) tank then getting the yellow coris... not sure and open to suggestions. I haven’t seen definitive evidence that yellow coris wrasses will actually eat hydroids.  

20 minutes ago, Aurortpa said:

@banasophia, do you have a local reef club?  Sometimes there is a sea hare "for rent" that gets to travel tank to tank for issues.  Might be worth looking into! 🙂

😊👍 Yeah! That’s what I started with my boy Waldo last week... he’s currently with his new owner Cesar in a tank full of GHA. I thought that would be better for him than going back to the LFS. 

5DBD78F6-5C29-49B2-83D7-E96DC21A21C1.jpeg

• Like 4

This war coral favia is one of my favorites. It grew onto the live rock piece from a frag and when I removed the frag it remained and is spreading. The picture does not do it justice. It is quite nice under the actinic lighting.

I have piece of the orange plate above.. It is doing some wierd growth lately.

20180713_065932.jpg

• Like 2
Yumarattler
4 hours ago, uwdanno said:

Current fav is my Gold Torch. I got it as a single head and it’s splitting it’s fourth now. 

6DD2828B-5426-4A5C-99B7-4B8B8352B9D6.jpeg

D06E763E-6009-431B-B75C-22893E98AC12.jpeg

That is very pretty. I want a gold so bad. 

• Like 1