ReefCleaners.org

Huge Drs. Foster and Smith clearance sale

seabass

HarryPotter
1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Honestly, if I were said vendor I’d include a free box of tissues for y’all. 

B305A1C0-1137-4080-B45B-E78D9AA00601.jpeg

*half the salt buckets are shattered and leave a cocaine trail from the street to my doorstep

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 minutes ago, HarryPotter said:

*half the salt buckets are shattered and leave a cocaine trail from the street to my doorstep

Too bad they skimped on the tissues. 

1 minute ago, seabass said:

And that didn't raise any red flags for UPS?  Nice.

Union men don’t snitch, try that shit with fedex. 

• Haha 2

So I thought my order was canceled because it was removed from my bank account....

Then today I get an email saying my order shipped and was provided two tracking numbers (hopefully for the glass ATO reservoir being shipped separately then the salt but idk at this point anymore)

• Like 1
A Little Blue

Most of the time it is the packaging/prep problem rather than handling. 

Salt bucket would have been better off without any packaging, just a sticker label on it. That way, ppl handling it would know exactly what they are dealing with. 

squamptonbc
1 hour ago, A Little Blue said:

Most of the time it is the packaging/prep problem rather than handling. 

Salt bucket would have been better off without any packaging, just a sticker label on it. That way, ppl handling it would know exactly what they are dealing with. 

And in a box the heavy salt bucket likely went through the automated sorting systems and was damaged there, had it not been in a box, it could have been sorted in a more manual method to reduce damage.

When I have ordered salt its always come as you say with just a label on the bucket and no box. 

Automated sorting systems are not exactly gentle including those at airports, if only people saw how rough the automation is, that is where the bulk of damage comes from not humans although humans can cause damage too.

14 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

When I have ordered salt its always come as you say with just a label on the bucket and no box. 

They probably are trying to "save" money by packing in a box since you get dinged an extra charge for just shipping a bucket

squamptonbc
2 hours ago, StevieT said:

They probably are trying to "save" money by packing in a box since you get dinged an extra charge for just shipping a bucket

Most likely. I am in Canada so no idea what the charge is in the US, here it's around $5 at least that is what the place I order from charges in addition to shipping, we don't get free shipping on heavy items, but I rarely order salt because of the weight and shipping costs.

A Little Blue
3 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

And in a box the heavy salt bucket likely went through the automated sorting systems and was damaged there, had it not been in a box, it could have been sorted in a more manual method to reduce damage.

Automated sorting systems are not exactly gentle including those at airports, if only people saw how rough the automation is, that is where the bulk of damage comes from not humans although humans can cause damage too.

I know exactly what it looks like. However, airport sort is probably the most gentle of them all. Why, because most items going thru air sort are valuables and insured. 

One of two boxes arrived. It is the IM ATO glass reservoir. Luckily, it came in one piece. Packaging wasn’t awful either. 

We will see about IM 14g tank that is coming tomorrow but so far so good. 

23FC80D2-8543-4A88-AB1E-E7CA87743516.thumb.jpeg.9af4ad19b7898968eb11d586a37953bd.jpeg423EE51E-1D86-4B5F-9985-DB1AFC08F9EA.thumb.jpeg.8dd9a9b36fd1e458f8c057b39c0af340.jpeg

• Like 3

My packages arrived today.

071818a.jpg

Here's the box with the salt bucket in it.

071818b.jpg  071818c.jpg

The heater box got crushed, but the heater is fine.  Everything else looked great.

071818d.jpg

Here's the other box.

071818e.jpg  071818f.jpg

A pretty good haul.

071818g.jpg

4 of the 16 T5 bulbs that I ordered were wrong.  Unfortunately they were out of stock of the ones that I ordered, so I'm just sending those back.  They sent me a UPS return label for those bulbs.

As for the test kits:

Salifert pH - expires 02/2021

Salifert Ammonia - expires 09/2019

Seachem Iron - no expiration listed

Seachem Iodine & Iodide - no expiration listed

I'm quite happy.  What a sale.  I notice that there are now only 316 sale items left.

• Like 2
A Little Blue
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

My packages arrived today.

071818a.jpg

Here's the box with the salt bucket in it.

071818b.jpg  071818c.jpg

The heater box got crushed, but the heater is fine.  Everything else looked great.

071818d.jpg

Here's the other box.

071818e.jpg  071818f.jpg

A pretty good haul.

071818g.jpg

4 of the 16 T5 bulbs that I ordered were wrong.  Unfortunately they were out of stock of the ones that I ordered, so I'm just sending those back.  They sent me a UPS return label for those bulbs.

As for the test kits:

Salifert pH - expires 02/2021

Salifert Ammonia - expires 09/2019

Seachem Iron - no expiration listed

Seachem Iodine & Iodide - no expiration listed

I'm quite happy.  What a sale.  I notice that there are now only 316 sale items left.

Looks like early Christmas. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, A Little Blue said:

One of two boxes arrived. It is the IM ATO glass reservoir. Luckily, it came in one piece. Packaging wasn’t awful either

I should be receiving mine on Friday, hoping it's packaged well like yours.

• Like 1
A Little Blue
1 minute ago, MrsK said:

I should be receiving mine on Friday, hoping it's packaged well like yours.

Let’s hope so. @seabass and I got lucky so far. My second package was incorrectly sorted and might be delayed. 

HarryPotter

Looks nice, maybe I was just unlucky. Perhaps ordering 20 small buckets of salt was frowned on by the shipping department haha. Anyway, great CS, so no complaints. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, A Little Blue said:

Let’s hope so. @seabass and I got lucky so far.

Maybe not luck.  They are a huge online company.  They literally ship tons of packages.  I just think that putting the salt buckets in with other items (or in larger boxes, where they can bounce around) was a mistake.

BTW, I toured their facilities.  It was huge and quite impressive.  I'll see if I can dig up the pics for you all.

A Little Blue
1 minute ago, seabass said:

Maybe not luck.  They are a huge online company.  They literally ship tons of packages.  I just think that putting the salt buckets in with other items (or in larger boxes, where they can bounce around) was a mistake.

BTW, I toured their facilities.  It was huge and quite impressive.  I'll see if I can dig up the pics for you all.

There is a chance of damage with any shipment. Harry just pissed off the delivery guy who had to drag all those buckets to his door. 🤣

• Haha 2

I took this tour of Drs. Foster & Smith a little over 10 years ago.

The main warehouse, which goes on and on (this is just one of many isles).

drsfoster1.jpg

Customer service area.

drsfoster2.jpg

These bins are for pulling the orders to be shipped.

drsfoster3.jpg

Conveyor to move product.

drsfoster4.jpg

This is just the packing area.

drsfoster5.jpg

Back then, they used a lot of biodegradable peanuts (which they made onsite from corn).  This machine was full of packing peanuts.

drsfoster6.jpg

These pics really don't convey just how massive this facility is.  They had semi trucks parked all over.

drsfoster7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
A Little Blue

IM 14g arrived. Packaging wasn’t so great. Styrofoam was broken to pieces and it wasn’t double boxed like the previous shipment. It didn’t look good. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
A Little Blue
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I took this tour a little over 10 years ago.

The main warehouse (which goes on and on).

drsfoster1.jpg

Customer service area.

drsfoster2.jpg

These bins are for pulling the orders to be shipped.

drsfoster3.jpg

Conveyor to move product.

drsfoster4.jpg

This is just the packing area.

drsfoster5.jpg

Back then, they used a lot of biodegradable peanuts (which they made onsite from corn).  This machine was full of packing peanuts.

drsfoster6.jpg

These pics really don't convey just how massive this facility is.  They had semi trucks parked all over.

drsfoster7.jpg

I wasn’t expecting that. I have seen Petco, Amazon and UPS facilities with 150-250 trailer bays. But this is up there with the big boys as far as size is concerned. 

• Like 1
squamptonbc
On 7/18/2018 at 1:24 PM, A Little Blue said:

I know exactly what it looks like. However, airport sort is probably the most gentle of them all. Why, because most items going thru air sort are valuables and insured. 

One of two boxes arrived. It is the IM ATO glass reservoir. Luckily, it came in one piece. Packaging wasn’t awful either. 

We will see about IM 14g tank that is coming tomorrow but so far so good. 

23FC80D2-8543-4A88-AB1E-E7CA87743516.thumb.jpeg.9af4ad19b7898968eb11d586a37953bd.jpeg423EE51E-1D86-4B5F-9985-DB1AFC08F9EA.thumb.jpeg.8dd9a9b36fd1e458f8c057b39c0af340.jpeg

The airport comment I made was regarding luggage for passengers so off topic, those systems are rough.

A Little Blue
8 minutes ago, squamptonbc said:

The airport comment I made was regarding luggage for passengers so off topic, those systems are rough.

Ohh..... those guys kick your luggage for fun. I was referring to air-sort at UPS or FedEx. USPS doesn’t have their own air service. They either use UPS or FedEx for their air parcel service (they got no planes lol).