Top Shelf Aquatics

Populate my 10g

aychamo

Hey guys!

I made a big mistake last night.. I looked through Dr. Fosters & Smith's catalog of saltwater fish they have... Now I want so many!

I know in saltwater you shouldn't have very many fish in a 10g tank. What would you reccomend as a max for a 10g?

I was thinking of a pair of clownfish, an anemone, some corals, and a snail or two and a shrimp. Is this feasible? Or is that rediculous for a 10g? I also want a sailfin algae blenny :)

It's making me so bad want to go buy a dang 20tall.

depends on what fish u want , i would only recommend damsels, and clowns, the general rule that i've read about in books for newbies i that u should allow 4 gallons per inch of fish , as u get more experience that could lessen. so i would only put 2-3 damsels or clowns in there no more .

I think your plan sounds fine. The blenny with 2 clowns is pushing it a bit. Go with the clowns and see how your tank handles it. Just go slow and you will be fine. The inverts would be great also, since they add very little to the bioload.

Also, i would advise against damsels. They have been known to nip at corals and can get quite aggressive.

• 2 weeks later...

DO NOT GET DAMSELS!!!!!! I would look into adding one or two gobies. They keep the bioload pretty low, and they can add color, ie: citron clowns. They are not tempermental, and they are fairly hardy.

I definately would go with a max of only 2 goby-like fish, not 3 to 4 as suggested above. Additionally, I would let your tank mature for a really long time before introducing fish. Let your pod and microfauna population become well established.

HTH

Originally posted by donteatthenano

i have a pair of ocellaris clowns and a yellow clown goby. the yellow clown goby was added about six months after the clown pair was acclimated.

Hows that working out for you? I want to put the same combo in my 10g :).

my initial idea was having a pair of clowns, a yellow clown goby, a dusky jawfish, a cleaner shrimp and then a astrea, turbo, 2 blue hermits, a queen fighting conch, maybe some nassarius

but now that i see its alot, i may do 1 clown and then the rest,

I used to have a 10 gallon w/ a pair of clowns. it din't go over so well...I would only do smale fish (e.g. Clown Gobies) There are man different colors (i.e. black, yellow, brown, green) and they only get 1.5" long when FULL GROWN. Personally, I wouldn't keep more than 3 of these lil guys in a 10 gallon.

HTH

DAMELS? No way dude. Damsels are mean little ba$tard$. They can be very very very agressive and stress your other fish. I always thought that Firefish are really cool. I guess the clowns would be ok, but that's kinda pushing it. They require at least 30 gallon, by the rules of course.

*EDIT to Cesar's post*

They require at least 30 gallons, at least that's what LiveAquaria.com says...

1 clown would be fine in a ten gallon, add a fuge and skimmer and 2 would be ok as well.

Archived