SaltCritters.com

Mushroom behavior

toddrparr

Quick question. I was out of town for a week and my tank has been cycling. I have 3 mushroom hitchhikers on a piece of live rock and I thought they were small. Came home last night and they were extended (pictures). Is this normal?

56B16E0C-2F3C-411F-A452-9FA437AA6222.jpeg

1 hour ago, toddrparr said:

Quick question. I was out of town for a week and my tank has been cycling. I have 3 mushroom hitchhikers on a piece of live rock and I thought they were small. Came home last night and they were extended (pictures). Is this normal?

56B16E0C-2F3C-411F-A452-9FA437AA6222.jpeg

Looks like they are stretching for light. 

• Like 2
fishkeepersaltnfresh

My Superman mushroom does it occasional. It could be because of light, or water parms. I leave them as is and they go back to their normal self.

I'm pretty sure if it gets too mad, it can pop off the rock and find a place it likes better. Mine moved around the tank all the time, ppl said it was because they didn't like the flow or lighting.

49 minutes ago, sadie said:

I'm pretty sure if it gets too mad, it can pop off the rock and find a place it likes better. Mine moved around the tank all the time, ppl said it was because they didn't like the flow or lighting.

I just lost a pretty red one because it popped off the rock and landed in an inconspicuous spot and melted.  Just watch for that so you can rescue it if it necessary. 

I've also had two move, one left bits behind that grew into shrooms while the other only moved its top half and tore itself in half.